Bull calf castration infection?

rbingh01

Just born
Reaction score
We've got a 6 month old castrated Milking Devon young steer who has what looks like some kind of significant infection or fungus on the right side of his scrotum. It is dry and rough around the edges, about an eighth of an inch deep at its deepest spot. Only this deepest spot is red or raw. He was castrated at 4 months using the Burdizzo. There was no noticeable open wound after the castration, and the animal is seemingly in no pain or discomfort. He runs and walks fine, and is growing well. I have photos, but as a new member am unable to upload them. Any thoughts before we call the vet?

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Could it be barn itch (ringworm)? I'm not familiar with that way of castrating, so don't know if it could abscess, but seems like it would have happened sooner. I would think if it was infected, you'd have stinky discharge, pus, swelling, etc. The roughness sounds like barn itch, which would be fungal and is quite common.

rbingh01

Just born
Reaction score
Sorry for the slow response - been away from the internet :) Most ringworm I've seen doesn't cause a "crater" in the skin, but is rather uniformly round and raised. It would help if I could post a picture - is there anyway I can do that?

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
You can use the Uploads function on this site--just see the bar at the top.

Or, and this is the most popularly used, just copy an image from a photo account like Photo Bucket and paste it here with the
tags.

rbingh01

Just born
Reaction score
Here it is! The first time I tried it wouldn't let me as a new member.

8175_gus_infection.jpg

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Is it yellow crusty, like infection that's drying up as soon as it reaches the air? I'd at least call the vet and talk to them and ask if you can e-mail this photo to them. Have you tried Ichthommal? It almost looks like an abscess that is draining at a slow trickle.

rbingh01

Just born
Reaction score
No drainage, pretty dry and only slightly swollen. We haven't tried treating with anything yet, as it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all.