Bull talking to a neighbor bull? Do I need to be concerned?

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The two-year old visiting Highland bull we have currently has (hopefully) done his job and bred Bridgit; in any case, she's out of heat and wouldn't cycle again until about 7/29.

In the meantime, we've noticed him standing by the hotwire fence to the calves' pasture, calling, listening, and smelling. I thought he was either interested in Annabel (7.5 months old) or perhaps a cycling heifer 1/4 mile away, until we noticed that he seemed to call in response to Spot, the freezer-destined yearling Holstein bull across the street. This has now gone on, off and on, for about three days.

Do we need to worry about this? Will our visiting bull try and go check out Spot (thereby going through fences to get there)? Is he likely talking to Spot to begin with, or are they both talking to a heifer or cow? (Our visitor's call sounds like blowing low across a glass Coke bottle, by the way...very strange. I almost couldn't hear it and had to stop what I was doing to make sure it was coming from him!)

Thanks!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
if he goes through the fences to that steer or bull itll be to fight.an if that happens all you can do is fix the fence an get him back in.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I had a bull tear up a fence to get to another bull 1/8 of a mile away. Shall we say he was highly territorial and didn't like competition.

AF Texas Longhorn Ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I hope your hotwire is really HOT :he until another heifer/cow comes into heat to distract him! :ya

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Luckily for us, the conversating stopped, and the visiting bull went home on Saturday. Not before he completely ripped apart our garden fence, of course, but he's gone, and that makes me happy!

Now life can get back to normal. :D

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Whatever normal is, such is farm life! :lol:

Glad to hear he is gone, always makes me nervous, having a bull around. But boy, the last one was delicious. :gig

Latest posts