Bull Whispers

rainplace

Just born
Reaction score
I experienced an amazing few moments yesterday...

Everyday I walk the pastures counting the cattle, checking to make sure everyone looks good, making sure the calves are growing, scrutinizing the perimeter fence and other such things that I can call "work" if I need to. I paused for a bit just looking at everyone when I heard the most beautiful whispering moo. Everything on the pasture became still and silent except this one moo. Even Eve came to my side and sat down calmly listening.

The first moo was followed by more moos all the same tone and all like a whisper. Looking for the source, my eyes settled on Biff, our herd sire. The whispers were coming from him. Several cows moved as close as they could be without touching him and began breathing in his whispers. Still he continued. More of the cows came to him and they fanned out around him all breathing in his sounds. Then Biff became silent. The entire herd, now standing, suddenly looked confused. A calf called to its mother, cows began looking around at all the other cows and then back to Biff.

Eve and I began walking away, the herd following.

So the question is... what the heck was going on?

Ilovecows

Just born
Reaction score
There is a saying to never trust a bull that talks. I would advise not trusting any bull as they can turn on you anytime but, talking ones, I don't like.

rainplace

Just born
Reaction score
Ilovecows said:
There is a saying to never trust a bull that talks. I would advise not trusting any bull as they can turn on you anytime but, talking ones, I don't like.
Never heard that one before.

Here's Biff, the bull whisperer. He's about to be retired since he's getting fairly old at 12 years of age. Though a bit stiff in the legs these days, he never misses a cow.

Biff.jpg

rainplace

Just born
Reaction score
country freedom said:
I've never experienced that before - kinda freaky.
I wonder how often this occurs?
This is the first time I've heard it, but that doesn't mean anything. I felt appreciative that I was able to share in the moment... whatever it was.

Kim

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow, he's a good looking boy.