Bumblefoot...can't believe I am asking this on BYH...LOL

Ravyn

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's injectable oxytetracyline (200 mg/ml) and can cause *severe* injection site necrosis. As for poultry dose, I think it's 25-40 mg/kg, which is 0.06 ml to 0.1 ml per pound.

:thumbsup

Thanks, Kathy... I try to avoid injecting, prefer oral, so miss some of those acronyms... :)

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's injectable oxytetracyline (200 mg/ml) and can cause *severe* injection site necrosis. As for poultry dose, I think it's 25-40 mg/kg, which is 0.06 ml to 0.1 ml per pound.

As far as I was aware, necrosis was for IM injection only, not SQ?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Has anyone looked at biomycin 100/LA 100 (or whatever generic brand)?

You would need to inject more but should have a lessened reaction site.

The biomycin has an anti stinging agent too. I don't remember if it's safe for chickens but it might be worth looking into.

casportpony

True BYH Addict
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
As far as I was aware, necrosis was for IM injection only, not SQ?
I don't know about oxytetracyline, but I do know that Baytril (enrofloxacin) given subcutaneously can cause mild injection site sores (a rabbit forum called them "sterile abscesses"), and I have seen this in cats.

The three resources I have don't mention giving oxytetracyline to birds subcutaneously, they all talk about IM and the risk of severe muscle necrosis at the injection site.

This is one of those times when I wish I could pick the brain of a vet, because it sure would be nice to know exactly how to use oxytetracyline in birds.

casportpony

True BYH Addict
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Has anyone looked at biomycin 100/LA 100 (or whatever generic brand)?

You would need to inject more but should have a lessened reaction site.

The biomycin has an anti stinging agent too. I don't remember if it's safe for chickens but it might be worth looking into.
Probably worth looking into... Where is it sold?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
How about a simple epsom salts soak in warm water, followed by a nice slathering with castor oil? It works well at drawing out infection and relieving the pain of the inflammation. You don't even have to wrap it if you don't prefer, as there's no need to wrap it unless you are protecting an open area.

Latest posts