Bummer chewing cud! HAPPY! Does this mean I can wean him now?

trampledbygeese

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm just so excited, my bottle lamb didn't ask for a bottle at lunch today! :weee I had to share this with someone.

Sam, who answers to Larry, spent the morning out with me in the yard. He munched on grass and weeds while I planted seeds in the garden. About three hours later, he was board, so I took him to his regular spot, and he didn't demand his bottle. Instead, he sat down and chewed his cud. I thought, great. I'll just feed him his bottle later, when he complains, but he didn't.

Come next meal time, he was ready for his bottle, so I brought him an armful of kale, and he happily munched that, but still wanted some milk. Gave him half the regular amount and he was fine.

Same with evening meal.

I think he grew an inch in height today, and at least a couple of pounds... probably imagining things, but he can reach higher up the fruit trees than he could this morning.

Does this mean I can wean him now? How do I know when his ruman is healthy enough to support his growth? He's about 6 weeks old, mixed meat breed wether. Probably close to 20 lbs.