Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
While it is true that, for show purposes, Flemish are supposed to weigh at least 13 lbs, they can come smaller than that. There are lots of commercial-type breeds that mature at 10 lbs or considerably less; if the buck's parents had some of those in their background, he may simply be taking after them (though I am wondering, if she's breeding Flemish, why she would keep something so undersized as a breeding animal). Netherland Dwarfs average around 2 lbs; other dwarf breeds may run up in the 4 lb range, but that's a far cry from that buck's 10 lbs!
Okay that makes way more sense. Dwarf was her guess for his size. She just breeds to create pets for her grandchildren so she didn’t seem to mind. They kept the two tan rabbits for her grandkids from the litter and I got the other 6.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay that makes way more sense. Dwarf was her guess for his size. She just breeds to create pets for her grandchildren so she didn’t seem to mind. They kept the two tan rabbits for her grandkids from the litter and I got the other 6.

I think I would take anything she said with a horse-sized block of salt, because she clearly knows little about what she's doing and apparently doesn't care.

Your black doe's body profile could be "semi-arch" (she's not posed, so that may not actually be the case) and she does have good large ears, but that picture doesn't shout "Flemish Giant" at me - her head, especially, just doesn't get me there. She probably has a healthy dollop of Flemish in her, but I think "Flemish mix" is about as far as one can truthfully go, and that's a guess (that baby with the white on it is hers, sired by her brother, correct? That's Dutch marking, which shouldn't ever be seen in purebred Flemish). :idunno

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think I would take anything she said with a horse-sized block of salt, because she clearly knows little about what she's doing and apparently doesn't care.

Your black doe's body profile could be "semi-arch" (she's not posed, so that may not actually be the case) and she does have good large ears, but that picture doesn't shout "Flemish Giant" at me - her head, especially, just doesn't get me there. She probably has a healthy dollop of Flemish in her, but I think "Flemish mix" is about as far as one can truthfully go, and that's a guess (that baby with the white on it is hers, sired by her brother, correct? That's Dutch marking, which shouldn't ever be seen in purebred Flemish). :idunno
Oh my gosh! I hadn’t even raised the Dutch markings😂. One of her bothers had it too but I should’ve recognized it because my friends when I was growing up had one who was obviously named Oreo. So I’m sure she’s a little bit of everything. Up where we live most rabbits are sold as “meat”, California (if they have the colouring), or Flemish giant but I honestly doubt a single member of my herd is pure anything 🙄

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Bunnylady we got some new drama. My black babies are starting to weigh in much further apart and I need to monitor them but 5/7 are completely black. How do I mark them to keep track of who is who?

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Can you use different colored permanent markers to color the insides of their ears?
They aren’t big enough ears yet but two of them have 20%lower weights than the average of the litter. So even if there’sa way to just mark those two that would be awesome

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
My daughter managed to do it with some Netherland Dwarfs that I'm sure had smaller ears than your babies (same reason, tracking growth on some newborns) - just take a Sharpie and color the part that doesn't have much hair on it. You'll probably have to touch them up every day or so, but if you pick colors that are different enough (red and blue, as opposed to blue and green, for example), you should be able to see enough color to know who's who.

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay I’ll give it a go in the morning and post my results

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My daughter managed to do it with some Netherland Dwarfs that I'm sure had smaller ears than your babies (same reason, tracking growth on some newborns) - just take a Sharpie and color the part that doesn't have much hair on it. You'll probably have to touch them up every day or so, but if you pick colors that are different enough (red and blue, as opposed to blue and green, for example), you should be able to see enough color to know who's who.
Okay here we go. They both got fed last night but are still smaller than their siblings. Those colours are supposed to be blue and orange but we’ll see how they look tonight.
C4E15AA7-260A-4026-BEF9-8AD1B3AAA9DF.jpeg
94B5AD74-6969-40B1-8208-FA8C3DD7522A.jpeg

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
7C2AAB7F-6BBF-4DF1-85C0-011B61A0E49C.jpeg

this is my tracking and analysis so far. The highlighted ones are the ones I can’t be totally sure that they matched to their first day weights as they are all black with no natural identifiers. But they now have identifiers!

Latest posts