Bunny losing fur

jjstrothenke

Just born
Reaction score
I have meat rabbits, but it is my indoor, pet rabbit who has started losing fur on his back. All he does is eat, he's huge. I have no idea what is going on with him, any suggestions to get me started in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. June at Top of the Hill Farm in Fairbanks, Alaska

ChickenPotPie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How old is your rabbit? How long have you had him? Do you have the heater running in the house? How long ago did you begin running it?

He could be molting. I think most rabbits start molting from top to bottom. It may be a slightly late molt or a "weather" or feed induced molt. Fluctuations in air temp or feed might cause your rabbit to molt at this time of year - especially if you've begun running the heater in the house over the last month to few weeks or days.

Whether or not he's molting, I'd change or do a few things. First, because you said that all he does is eat (and an overweight rabbit has very serious health risks) figure out how much he should be eating (ie serving size). Pet rabbits, as well as many show rabbits, should not have pelleted food in front of them all day. Measure out an amount that he can finish off within 2 hours. If he's got anything left over, take it away. For now, give him good grass hay at least once a day or 24/7. Try Timothy, Orchard, or Oat. It has less nutrition than the pellets but it will help him with to transition to the new feeding program.

Then I'd deworm him. You're not going to eat a pet so don't worry about waiting periods and such. Use Ivermection 1% injectable solution either subQ or orally. .01 cc per lb of body weight (ie. If he's 6 lbs, you fill the 1cc syringe to the .6 mark. Give proper dose and then repeat 14 days later. Also give Piperzine (name brand is Wazine) liquid dewormer. Read dosage to give for cats/dogs (by drop) and add to your rabbit's water. Don't refill the water until it's all been drunk. Repeat proper dosage 14 days later.

If your rabbit has bare patches and/or you suspect ring worm, get your rabbit tested by a rabbit vet (exotics vet) and treated. Also, talk to your pediatrician or doctor about it because rabbit ringworm is transferable to humans.

Of course, if no big red flags are waving in your mind, go with the least of the possibilities and go from there.

It may be as simple as your rabbit going into molt because you've begun running the heat in the house.

jjstrothenke

Just born
Reaction score
Wow, thank you so very much. I believe that he is about a year old. We did start running the heater about a month ago. It is a dry heat, as we use wood. Great idea about portioning out his food and the grass. I'll implement that today. I'll see if there are any changes once this is routine and go from there. Thank you so much!

ChickenPotPie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sure, no problem.

Hey, I wanted to clarify somethings.

-Measuring the feed is to ensure he's not over eating and gets fat. That has nothing to do with molting/loosing fur.
-When I say "fluctuations in feed" I mean fluctuations in feed content, nutritional values, or brands. For example, an increase or decrease in the amount of protein in a rabbit's diet could throw it into a molt.
-Deworming...I use both Ivermectin and Piperzine because I understand that they kill different parasites. You can give them at the same time and don't have to wait until you're done with one or the other. Just redose both meds 14 days from the time you first gave them or the deworming process will not stop the parasite reproductive cycle and thus not complete the deworming process.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
If this isn't just a normal molt, it may be fur mites. If it is, dosing with ivermectin per ChickenPotPie's instructions should take care of it.