Burdizzo Question

MargaretClare

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I tried out the burdizzo method of castration this year on a couple of kids, and now I keep second guessing myself whether I did it right or not. I keep checking them and wondering if they're actually getting smaller or if they don't feel like they're getting harder. I'll have to check the calendar but I think it's been 2-3 weeks. If I were to reclamp and it turned out they were done correctly the first time would it hurt anything?

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It will not hurt to re pinch but I usually wait 6 weeks before I see a big difference. I also always try to grab a picture because some do not shrink as much as others or take a lot longer. Did you clamp one cord at a time? If so, then you probably got both and it is just not noticeable yet.

I love my burdizzo and so many people have asked me to do their bucks that I have thought about renting it out!

MargaretClare

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you. Yes, I clamped one at a time, but wasn't right away sure is all. I kinda expected the cords to feel sorta severed inside, I guess. If that even makes sense. I think tonight I did notice some shrinkage. I'll take pics from now on. They also seem to have mellowed out and don't do the cute young buck blubbers anymore.

This was my first time doing it and I'm quite a worry wart. I kept reading that I should notice them getting smaller by two weeks. And I wasn't sure if I got the first correctly after doing the second and realizing on him what it looks and feels like when I have just the skin clamped and the cord isn't in the burdizzo.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have one and not all animals respond the same. Age probably has a lot to do with it -- amount of tissue to shrink. Bought mine at Premier1 and they are great to talk with and they use the equipment. Thus you are talking with someone who "knows" what the discussion is about and handling the animals. Not just a person answering the phone & reading you a scripted reply. :) It was obvious this guy had been "using and handling" !

Latest posts