Burned grass

ponderchick

Just born
Reaction score
Its so hot and dry here, all our grass in the pastures has burned up. We are having to feed grain now, which we dont usually have to do untill late fall or early winter. We only have a small herd 1 cow, 1 bull and 3, 4-5month old heifer calves. If we dont get a good rain soon we will probbably have to sell an couple of the calves. Feed too is so high right now, it cost us ALOt to feed them. Does anyone have any suggestions of an alternate feed source, we are nearly to the point of selling them all. and i hate that it may become something we have to do!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Try to find some hay. Grains are awfully expensive to feed as a grass substitue. I know in some areas of the country hay is high but, it wouldn't take a real high quality forage to get you though.

Where are you at? Maybe someone can help.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
try to find some hay to buy.see if you can find some round bales an buy 1 or 2.with just 5 head a round bale would last 2wks or more.i bet your feeding 25lbs of feed a day.

EmsoffLambs

Just born
Reaction score
I gather than you have grass, but it is all dried up and brown? If this is the case, your cattle can get the energy they need from the grass, but not the protein. Therefore, you will do better to suppliment protein than add grain. Feeding grain will actually reduce the digestibility of the grass they are eating. Adding protein, on the other hand, will increase the forage digestibility and actually allow the cattle to consume more grass, giving them more energy too. This is most easily accomplished by putting out protein tubs (minimum 30% protein) for the cattle to lick. If labor isn't an issue, soybean meal, cotton seed meal, or protein cake can be probably be fed on a dialy basis more affordably. Alfalfa hay can also be used as a suppliment, although more of it will be required. You'll just have to do the math and see what figures out the best cost-wise. I'd talk to some ranchers in your area and see what they're doing.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
EmsoffLambs said:
I gather than you have grass, but it is all dried up and brown? If this is the case, your cattle can get the energy they need from the grass, but not the protein. Therefore, you will do better to suppliment protein than add grain. Feeding grain will actually reduce the digestibility of the grass they are eating. Adding protein, on the other hand, will increase the forage digestibility and actually allow the cattle to consume more grass, giving them more energy too. This is most easily accomplished by putting out protein tubs (minimum 30% protein) for the cattle to lick. If labor isn't an issue, soybean meal, cotton seed meal, or protein cake can be probably be fed on a dialy basis more affordably. Alfalfa hay can also be used as a suppliment, although more of it will be required. You'll just have to do the math and see what figures out the best cost-wise. I'd talk to some ranchers in your area and see what they're doing.
If there is grass left, this will work but, from my experience by the time people are looking at having to sell there is nothing left for them to eat.

ponderchick

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. Our grass is pretty much gone. We are going to buy hay soon. Thats about the only thing we can do at this point. I did tell my huband about the protein tub and he thinks thats a good idea. It did finally rain some here and there the last 3 days. We didn't get a whole lot, but we praise the Lord for what we did get, every little bit helps! Thank you all for your help. I love these sites (byc, ss, bycows) Its great to have a group of caring likeminded people!