Butchering a Beef--Educational info

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This is an excerpt from: THE BACKYARD HOMESTEAD Edited by Carleen Madigan

If your raising a calf to butcher, you will probably want to let it grow to good size. Some folks like baby beef (from a calf at weaning age), but if you have enough pasture to raise your calf through it second summer, you will get a lot more meat for your money by letting it grow bigger. The ideal age at which to butcher a steer or heifer is 1 1/2 to 2 years. At that age, the animal is young enough to be tender and is nearly as large as it will get. Butchering at the end of summer or in the fall, before you have to feed hay again during winter, makes the grass-fed beef animal economical to raise.

The breed of the animal can be a factor in determining when it is ready to butcher. Beef animals generally do not marble until they reach puberty (or in the case of a steer, the age at which he would have reached puberty if he had been a bull). Different breeds mature at different ages. Angus and Angus-cross cattle often rech puberty at a younger age (and a smaller weight) than do larger-framed cattle, such as Simmental,Charolais, and Limousin.

An Angus-type beef calf may finish faster and be ready to butcher when it is a yearling or a little older. If you feed it longer, it may not get much bigger, just fatter. A Simmental calf, in contrast, may still be growing and not fill out (carry enough flesh to be in good butchering condiion) until it is at least two years old.

Thus, the ideal age at which to butcher your beef animal depends on its breed and on whether it is grass fed or gain fed. Cattle will grow faster and finish more quickly on grain, but at greater cost. Whether you feed grain depends on personal preference (some people prefer grain-fed beef to grass-finished beef, and vice versa) and your situation. If you have lots of pasture, raising grass-fed beef is usually most economical.

End excerpt.

We get the the question of when to butcher frequently and I hope this will be of help to those of you asking this quesiton. :)

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice post Kitty.

Folks also ask the weight that the steers finish out at. Home-raised steers usually finish out at 1000- 1200 lbs; the continental breeds should finish at a little heavier because of their tendancy to mature later and at heavier weights. Continentals also have leaner carcasses than british breeds.

And the carcass weight? Isn't it something like 60% of the liveweight, that steers are at at their hanging weight (meaning minus head, legs and viscera)? I know for dairy beef it is a bit lower percentage because they are not a beefy breed, so their hanging weight is more like 40% of their liveweight.

I notice something else that people kinda ask about: bulls and heifers. About bulls: They mature at heavier weights and at a younger age than steers, they also have leaner carcasses than steers. This is apparent in both continental and british breeds. I think they could be butchered at 1.5 years of age...older bulls are also known to be butchered after they've served their years as breeders and still give good (and lots) of beef.

Heifers have to be butchered at lighter weights than steers because of their higher tendency to lay down fat in comparison to bulls and steers. This is because heifers, if pushed to gain as fast as steers or bulls, they lay down more fat than what is required for a good carcass if steers and heifers are fed the same type of feed. According to a U of Florida study, steers gained more because they had a heavier initial weight, but consumed more feed per day than the heifers even though they took less time to reach target weight.[Finishing Costs] Drylot Backgrounding and Finishing Beef Check out the first table in either links to see what I mean.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nice WRB.

Another difference between bulls/steers and heifers is on needs to remember a heifer is naturally smaller than the bulls/steers. If you compare a mature cow with a mature bull/steer she will generally be lighter. So one needs to remember that when raising for beef as I would imagine that is part of why they lay fat on at a lighter weight.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
BRITISH BEEF BREEDS
Angus
Dexter
Galloway
Hereford
Scotch Highland
Shorthorn

CONTINENTAL (EUROPEAN) BREEDS
Charolais
Chianana
Gelbvieh
Limousin
Salers
Simmental
Tarentaise

CONTINENTAL (AMERICAN) BREEDS
Maine Anjou
Pinzgauer
Peidmontese
Braunvieh
Normandy
Romagnola

bREEDS FROM NEAR AND FAR
Brahman (India)
Murray Grey (Australia)
Texas Longhorn (descended from wild cattle left by early Spanish settlers)

Info from THE BACKYARD HOMESTEAD

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
GrassFarmerGalloway said:
Just a note to Kitty: I believe the Galloway is from Scotland. If not, then :smack to me.
I believe that all cattle from that area are considered British Beef Breeds. Not sure why. :idunno I just listed them the way they are listed in the book.

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
Yeah, like Angus and Red Angus is originally from Scotland, as well as the Scotch Highland.

Dexters are originally from Ireland...

And Herefords and Shorthorns are from England.

So no :smack to you GFG. :)

Other less common British breeds include:

South Devon
Sussex
British White
Devon
English Longhorn
Kerry
Red Poll

FYI. :)

Edit to add: I think these breeds are called British breeds because Ireland and Scotland were once considered part of Britain also something called the British Iles (sp?)...which deems the cattle that have come from these areas as British breeds. (don't quote me on this because I could be wrong..)

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
another tipp hanging weight is usually 50% of live weight.so if a calf is 1000lbs on the hoof.you should get 500lbs of meat or a tad more.

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
another tipp hanging weight is usually 50% of live weight.so if a calf is 1000lbs on the hoof.you should get 500lbs of meat or a tad more.
I know I covered that...but I guess the hanging weight depends on the breed, don't it? And probably degree of finish as well..