Butchering ages

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
The sheep were fat tailed karakul types called baidrag sheep. The goats are all cashmere goats as cashmere is a major export for Mongolia. All the animals they use are at least triple purpose, providing meat, milk, and fiber or hides. Even the horse manes and tails are trimmed to make strings for their horse-headed fiddles.

I should probably just do a Mongolia post since it's herd related, I'm just not sure which section it would fit in :p It was an amazing trip and a gorgeous country and I'm happy to talk more about it!

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
please do. frankly I don't have a clue as to where you should put it, every thing else sheep, random ramblings?? maybe. but i'll be anxious to read it when you do.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'd say it could go nicely in the journal section... :hu

chickadee-ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Read a few posts on here along with Google search. Found that butchering times differ for what you're taste buds want. Some butcher at 5 - 8 weeks which seems WAY to early I'm home. Not sure you'd really get anything out of it to even make it worth the trouble. Then 5 months or so and after that it just said 2 yo would be mutton.

So my question would be, what are your opinions as to when YOU butcher your sheep? How long do you wait? What's the taste especially for intact makes at whatever age?

Thanks.

I used to have a large herd of Nubian goats-- 100+ head. There is a huge spring/Easter market for young 8 week old or so kids and lambs-- I sold all my excess bucklings at that time as well as any doelings that had visible disqualifications for the show ring- i.e. wrong number of teats etc. This was a 'cash crop' for my farm. Nearly all the sheep breeders I know aim for this market as well. There are two groups who purchase at this time-- you have an ethnic market as well as the religious group (Eastern Orthodox being one of them) purchasing at this time.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Where do you all seem them at? I know @Mike CHS does some of his at auctions but I don't even know if there is an auction for stuff like that here I've always just either posted on CL or had my wife put it on FB marketplace.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have used Craigslist but you have to be ready to ignore the usual bottom feeders. We have a super good sales auction that does the best they can for both the sellers and the buyers. Then we have a not so good auction that usually has nothing that I would want to bring home to our place.

chickadee-ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Where do you all seem them at? I know @Mike CHS does some of his at auctions but I don't even know if there is an auction for stuff like that here I've always just either posted on CL or had my wife put it on FB marketplace.

I used to ship them to the really big auction in Mass== several of us shipped out kids on the same load, same time. made it economical.