Butchering cost and considerations

RedCanoe

Just born
Reaction score
As I mentioned in another post my family is close to buying our first pair of Dexter steer. But before we commit I had a few questions concerning butchering the fellows.

About how much would I expect to pay to have the animals processed?

What does 'processing' generally include? is that just turning them into a hanging side of beef or would that include butchering them into edible portions?

I have no idea how to wrap my mind around 1000 pounds of beef - how much does a beef eating family go through before freezer burn ruins the meat? We have plenty of people that would like to share in our efforts, but I don't know how many to really include. Would that split well five ways? 200 pounds still seems like a lot...

Also, if we don't have the transportation means to get the full weight cattle to the butcher are there folks we could hire to do the transportation for you? About how much would I expect to pay for that type of service?

Thanks!
RedCanoe

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Check for processing shops in your area. Ask them what they charge to butcher and process--the killing and gutting is usually billed as butchering. Cutting and wrapping as processing. Also, ask them if they pickup. Here they do. It is another charge they add on.

As for amount per family, some I know order a quarter of beef. Some half. And some a whole beef. It really depends on the size of the family and how much beef you eat. We usually go through a whole cow in 1 1/2 to 2 years for a family of 4 (kids 10 and 4).

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
i can answer some of your qs.1.you pay so much to kill them.2.they charge so much a lb for cutting an wrapping the meat.3.they usually let the meat hang 14 to 21 days to age.4.you get 50% or more meat in hanging weight.so if the steer is 1000lb at butchering.youll get 500 to 600lbs of meat.

RedCanoe

Just born
Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but how do I find the processing shops in my area? I tried doing various Google searches but have not come up with anything. Is that just information I have to get word of mouth?

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
ASk area farmers, or at the feed store, grange, or any place farmers gather.
Most small processors don't need to advertise.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Ask around!
Look up Meat, in your yellow pages?

We paid $75 for a kill and .44lb for processing, last year.
The meat dad had done, was mislabeld and we were not happy with the way it was wrapped.
So, we have been looking for a new shop!

We've asked friends, hunters and the 1 kill guy we know that does not get kickbacks for taking them to certain shops! We found one we are going to try this year!

Some shops will let you bring in the carcass, some will only take them if a kill guy brings them in. Some shops will take the live cow.

Some shops shrink wrap the meat, some use paper and plastic, some use just paper!

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
RedCanoe said:
As I mentioned in another post my family is close to buying our first pair of Dexter steer. But before we commit I had a few questions concerning butchering the fellows.

About how much would I expect to pay to have the animals processed?

It depends. Around here, I think it's around fifty cents a pound.

What does 'processing' generally include? is that just turning them into a hanging side of beef or would that include butchering them into edible portions?

Most likely the latter

I have no idea how to wrap my mind around 1000 pounds of beef - how much does a beef eating family go through before freezer burn ruins the meat? We have plenty of people that would like to share in our efforts, but I don't know how many to really include. Would that split well five ways? 200 pounds still seems like a lot...

It depends upon how much meat you eat. A family of four could burn through a side (half a cow) in a year (a side that weighs about 700 pounds on a larger cow). It really depends upon how much meat you eat. A family of two could probably eat a whole Dexter throughout the year. A larger family, more.

Also, if we don't have the transportation means to get the full weight cattle to the butcher are there folks we could hire to do the transportation for you? About how much would I expect to pay for that type of service?

You can probably find someone near you with a good trailer they'll be willing to loan to you, or drive for you with pay. Depending on where you are, some people might even come to the farm to kill the cattle, then take them off for you. I had this done with pigs once. I wouldn't count on it, but it's worth asking.

Thanks!
RedCanoe

Pure Country

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
On the last one we did, we paid 30.00 to kill and .30 per lb. to cut and wrap. Out of an 1100 lb animal, we got about 450-500 lbs. We sell what we don't need. There are several folks where I work who what to buy the meat and we have several friends who will buy it when we have it. Several of the bulls that were born last year will be fed out for the freezer. One we will keep for breeding and a couple will be sold.

ytailhunter

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I own a custom meat shop in massena, We charge $35. to slaughter and .45 cents per pound for processing (cut wrapped and frozen) we hang our beef a min of 14 day's, a beef carcass will dress out at 62% of your live weight ,Which includes offal (Heart,liver,toungue) also included in this weight is bone fat and trimming (silver skin),Your yeild in red meat is dependant on many different factors, (IE) breed of the animal ,feed quality no matter if it is a commercial ration or grass based.the age the animal is to be slaughtered, and during the aging process the carcass will also lose anywhere between 6 - 8 % as well. with all these factors to consider keep in mind that there is no uniform formula for calculating your yeild, For Example a 1300lb holstein bull on a dairy ration designed to produce more pounds of milk will not give You a yeild that a 1300lb angus Steer fed grass and finished on grain will give you even though they are the same weight, different breed,different bone structure,different feed,different purpose = same weight different yeild. "note" This is not to say that you could not raise dairy animals for meat ,I have done so myself and they eat just as good they just perform differently. I hope this info is helpfull, Best of luck Leo,

P.S Keep in mind your yeild will also be lower if you opt for a boneless cut VS a bone in cut (your yeild seems higher on a bone in however you cant eat bone.

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We usually go through a whole cow in 1 1/2 to 2 years for a family of 4 (kids 10 and 4).
We go through at least one cow a year, sometimes more depending on what else we have in the freezer. Once you taste "real" beef you will eat way more than what you would purchase in the grocery store. I have never had beef get freezer burn yet! Dexters are not that big so you will be surprised how fast you will eat one.

Enjoy!

Liz