Butchering heartbreak

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, it just means that you have a heart. I say a prayer over the animals I butcher. Then I apologize to them when I kill them. I've slaughtered rabbits, chickens, ducks, hogs, wild game, but I can't bring myself to kill a lamb. I take them to slaughter.

Saying a prayer over the animal, giving thanks, makes me feel a little better and I feel gratitude.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
truth be told Gary if it didn't bother you then you might have more of a problem. I've raised rabbits for several years and it bothers me every single time but I just put on my big girl drawers and get it done. and I always thank them for feeding me and my family and thank God for the many blessings.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is normal and shows you care. I used to use a hammer. Claw end in hand and handle for the business end, but now I use .22shorts thru my rifle and it is quicker and more humane I feel. I agree going with NZW with red eyes makes it easier and less attachment. They are a food source and I try to wrap my head around that and not that I've killed for nothing. The more times you do it, the more it becomes a chore to process a food source.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I raise meat animals and have a neighbor who helps me with the bigger hogs. They hunt a lot and even their 12 yo daughter is a hunter and brings down a lot of meat. However, it really bothers me when she comes to my house begging me to let her shoot a hog. If it makes you happy to kill something - that bothers me.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Butchered my first rabbit Sunday and did one today. Is it normal to feel real bad and have a tuff time with it at first or am I just a wuss?

Rabbits are particularly hard. I've killed literally thousands of chickens, ducks, turkeys, squirrel, gutted deer, killed a cow and processed it at home, etc. but the first time I killed and processed the meat rabbits I was up at 3 am doing it, snot running down my face as I sobbed throughout the whole thing.

It's normal to feel bad and I don't think we are supposed to feel otherwise when we take a life to live our life. There's always that remorse, be it small and in the back of your mind as you get busy with the business of processing, or fresh and big like killing something soft and little for the first time.

Real fortitude and courage is knowing it hurts to kill, but doing it anyway because you eat meat, because animals die at some time or other and you might as well consume their energy for your own life or the life of another, and that's why you have them in the first place.