Butchering heartbreak

Ron Bequeath

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I know the feeling, have butchered cattle, pigs, sheep, goats, geese, ducks, chickens, and rabbits, and have a rooster to do today and have still put it off. The only time i really never regretted the taking of a life was when I had a rooster that got loose when I was going to set up to take him. He ran around the barn 25 times and finally i got tired and went and got the 22 and chased him twice around the barn and then went the other way he took off across the corn field and I put one up the patutt. Needless to say i cooked him and fed him to my dogs. I'm 68 and it never gets any easier.

Last edited:

breezy2u

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I can't kill any of my animals and I have chickens and goats. I just can't do it. I even raise tilapia in my pond and the last time I tried to eat one it nearly put me off all fish. I respect those that have the ability to do it. I kind of wish I did. I think if I found a way where I could drop off an animal alive and pick it up packaged for the freezer, it might make it easier for me.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't kill any of my animals and I have chickens and goats. I just can't do it. I even raise tilapia in my pond and the last time I tried to eat one it nearly put me off all fish. I respect those that have the ability to do it. I kind of wish I did. I think if I found a way where I could drop off an animal alive and pick it up packaged for the freezer, it might make it easier for me.

Look for a animal processor, phone book, online or Craigslist, they will do it all for you, some will even pick up the animals. :)
Don't feel badly that you don't do it yourself.....it truly is a mindset thing, I did ten rabbits on my back porch yesterday...I am a 68 year old woman....I made my mind up it had to be done and did it....and I do thank them first, they had a good life and ate well and were loved on.
But they needed to be in my freezer for food and no matter how sweetly I talk to my critters, I just can't convince them to jump in on their own.....so I learned how to get them there myself ...humanly :)

Spokeless Wheel

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Butchered my first rabbit Sunday and did one today. Is it normal to feel real bad and have a tuff time with it at first or am I just a wuss?
Yes Gary, Your a wuss ! We are all wusses. It always hurts to to it. But it must be done to feed our family good nutritious food. We try to kill as quick and as painless as possible. In the wild rabbits die a much more painful and traumatic death. Slaughter houses and markets are much more traumatic for them than what we do. As others have said "cry". It shows you care and have emotions. That's good for your soul. Say a prayer and thank god you have food on your table. Many others don't. May god bless you

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hmmm interesting. How old are you? I think a lot has to do with age. I killed a lot of sick cattle when I was 16-20 now it's harder. I didn't feel a thing untill the last one. Haven't done one in about 12 yrs. I did them cause the farms couldn't shoot their own cows. The older I've gotten the more I think about it. I've noticed lately it's gotten harder to put down animals but I understand why it has to be done and done right

cahooncustomcutting@gmail

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
As a trained butcher I don't have uneasy feelings at the time of slaughter. My nerves get wound up leading up to a slaughter but I always steady my nerves pray my aim be true and do the job. After the deed is done it is all about getting the meat processed to euthanize rabbits I use a .22 CO2 pistol into the braincase from behind quick humane and doesn't risk any spoiled meat due to bullets traveling.

And like I have read above people have called me a murderer and inhumane and other such things but I know that the way I kill and was taught to kill is the best way to die rather than of old age or disese like these hippy vegans would like to see.

BarredCometLaced

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am just starting my meat rabbit journey. I have raised them for 11 years, but we never ate them... they were kept because I genuinely like rabbits and they are compost machines. I know when the time comes it will be hard, but at the same time, I feel like I will be incredibly proud to help feed my family. I also know that the animals I raise will have had amazing lives and never know cruelty. THAT is why I am getting into this.