Butchering, Taste and Age

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We had a Katahdin ram lamb that we had butchered at 7/6 months old. I just used some of the ground meat tonight...not a fan of the taste , it was super strong! Not like the more mellow tasting lamb I have had in the past. So I don't make this mistake again in the future do you recommend making the males werthers if planning on sending them for meat? Did we send him to the butcher at the wrong age? My husband loves lamb, and said he had never tasted one like that before :(

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We just had a 3 year old Dorper ram butchered and there is no difference in him and a lamb.

I cut my ram lambs at a couple weeks old. Perhaps you should cut your ram lambs since they have a strong taste to you.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I will cut them in the future because I honestly have no interest in the rest of the meat if it tastes like that. It tasted exactly how they smell in their stalls. I'll stick to beef till I figure out what I did wrong :(

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You might also try a different butcher/processor :duc:hide If he didn't properly care for the meat it could be the cause of the off taste.

Not sure what age "7/6 months old" equates to... (sorry - losing my mind slowly but surely) but even an uncut ram shouldn't be all gamey and strong at 6-7 months of age. :hu At that age he wouldn't even be full grown yet... still a baby. Sorry the taste wasn't what you anticipated/wanted. Could always use it as very expensive dog food... :hit

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was not sure of his exact birth date but I knew he was between 6 and 7 months old.
It's tastes and smells horrible in my opinion ....it's like I'm licking a sheep's face. I think it definitely could be the butcher....I know he was kept with ewes before he was butchered could that of effected it?

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you ever had Katahdin meat before? I've found that they can be a little stronger tasting than other breeds. You can finish them on some grains to help with the gamey flavor. I agree that castrating ram lambs is a good idea, since around 7-8 months the rams can get in rut around the girls--yes, I think that could effect the meat. With wethers and ewe lambs, age doesn't matter as long as they're under 12 months. We butcher around 100-120lbs live regardless of age. Some people prefer 60lbs live because the taste is less strong.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was told katahdins are a more mild meat , so now I'm confused lol. I will give other cuts of meat a try. Is there a breed that you recommend that is mild tasting ?

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Um, according to my taste buds that is marketing! I believe it's more dependent on what you feed them than breed, however I like the long wool or medium wool breeds in general for taste (low lanolin). Or cross some Dorper into the Katahdin, I've had good luck with that meat as well (though I don't like managing Dorpers).

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If your butcher wasn't "clean" and careful with the carcass during processing he could very easily have contaminated the meat. I'm sorry, but IMHO even if the ram was "in rut", at that age, he wouldn't have the hormonal levels of an adult ram and the meat should not be as strong as what you are describing... It shouldn't "smell horrible" but should smell like any other fresh/raw cut of meat. I could see a (little bit) stronger flavor after cooking as compared to store bought (*zero taste) meat, but even then it shouldn't be "horrible"...

I was under the impression that Katahdins were one of the mildest as well... One of the primary considerations as to why I was going to start with that breed. Maybe not the case? @mysunwolf in your opinion, what is a milder/better tasting breed? I was planning to cross with Dorper to add some size/meat. In either case I do NOT want wool sheep.

Just saw your new post while typing this... I was also under the impression that the wool sheep had MORE lanolin than a hair sheep? Now I'm totally confuzzled... :confused: What problem did you have with dorpers?

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Of course the animal's diet in the weeks before processing would have a large bearing as well...