Butchering, Taste and Age

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
At my farm when one sounds off several others chime in! 7 are on my list for next week...when I hope my work schedule & weather continue to be good.

Hintori on this forum has silkies and has talked about the meat color, etc. Interesting. At first I thought, maybe not for me. Then, look at beef! Certain these free range birds will be darker than the white store bought birds.

chickadee-ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I wouldn't process an intact ram at 6 months-- he should be capable of breeding 40 ewes at that age--- I know my Nubian bucks could! and IMO if he 'can' cover that many-- he prolly has 'taint' of one sort or another.

A Nubian wether at that age-- you can cook it like any beef with a few spices and herbs I've had folks not be able to tell it wasn't beef.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't process an intact ram at 6 months-- he should be capable of breeding 40 ewes at that age--- I know my Nubian bucks could! and IMO if he 'can' cover that many-- he prolly has 'taint' of one sort or another.

A Nubian wether at that age-- you can cook it like any beef with a few spices and herbs I've had folks not be able to tell it wasn't beef.
We processed a 3 year old Dorper ram. There was no taint or any off taste at all. took him right out of the pasture with the ewes and to slaughter he went, no special feed or anything.