butchering weight

Anthony Sr.

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm getting Hungry! reading about butchering the Hogs, when I was -11, we use to get fresh Pig heads for Homemade Tamales, doesn't happen now :hitand we live in the country or very Rural area = AKA outside Eustace, TX. compared to where I grew-up Oak Cliff or some called it Dallas. Now I need to set me up an area to raise some pigs, of course away from my Goat's:thumbsup.

Farmer-Brown

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'd like to learn more about the scalding and scraping and how to get lard please. :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm getting Hungry! reading about butchering the Hogs, when I was -11, we use to get fresh Pig heads for Homemade Tamales, doesn't happen now :hitand we live in the country or very Rural area = AKA outside Eustace, TX. compared to where I grew-up Oak Cliff or some called it Dallas. Now I need to set me up an area to raise some pigs, of course away from my Goat's:thumbsup.

Well hello neighbor! My husband and I are in Lindale! We will have to get together and have a good visit. @Devonviolet is in Winnsboro and @Latestarter is in Mount Pleasant, we get together every so often and eat, visit and get the nickel tour of the farm! You could come see us and Devonviolet, Latestarter could come too and we could have us a BYH good time!

Speaking of hog heads, I have one in the freezer, skinned, split, cleaned (no eyes, brains or teeth). Was thinking about making scrapple. I suppose I could make scrapple and serve it for our BYH party. LOL

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd like to learn more about the scalding and scraping and how to get lard please. :)

Me too! We slaughtered our Red Wattles in June, we just skinned them. I would like to try my hand at slaughter in cold weather, scald, scrape, the works. Then I'd probably just go back to skinning. LOL LOL

Karl Atkins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score

Yep I would to,but I am going to do the skining thing first. Then go to YouTube and watch some videos on scalding and see what it is all about.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Go on craigs list and advertise (or look for) that you're looking for an old cast iron bath tub. I've watched several scald/scrape vids and they use old tubs up on blocks with a fire built underneath to heat the water. Wonder if you could contact some contractors that do bath remodels and see if they might have one saved. You could probably do it with one of those galvanized water troughs too. Bay, I've never had scrapple but have heard of it and seen it on the food channel. I'd like/be willing to give it a try. I'm no where near in a league with Andrew Zimmern though... He'll eat about anything! :sick

I'm always down for a get together. good food, great company, fun times.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Matt n Lee I haven't done this, I read it in the Foxfire books. People in those books didn't dip the hogs to scald them. They had a pot of water on a fire and they poured boiling water on a spot, then scraped, poured more water on another place, then scraped it. So if you don't find a dipping vat, maybe you can spot scald your pig.

I wouldn't use a trash can. It is galvanized and fire and galvanized turns toxins loose that are in the metal.