Buttons....

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Our little Buttons has had a time of things lately. We check FAMANCHA at least once a week and his has been pale for two weeks now. I've given him Vitamin B Complex, Red Cell and something called Replens which is a vitamin and mineral paste. He had a high worm load and coccidia so we vetted him and got meds for that. But then he still didn't bounce back.. So I keep giving him Red Cell.... Then all of a sudden he couldn't pee so back to the vet. After a few days of drenching him with a concentrated solution of Ammonium Chloride he finally was able to pee on his own without having to have his pizzle snipped. Whew that was a real scare as we lost one of our first goats to UC and it was horrible... He's still anemic but we are doing all we can to help him recover. He eats well and is still peeing ok and stools look healthy. I just wish he felt better... The $$$$ I spent on the vet are worth it but he seems to be not progressing a well as I would like. So I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much too fast... All three are on the same diet. Goat pellets, free choice Coastal hay, free choice goat minerals, baking soda, and filtered water. The other two are fat and sassy with FAMANCHA as red as it can be. I just don't know what else to do for Buttons....

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you giving him Nutridrench? What about adding some high calorie grains to his diet so that his worm load won’t put suc a strain on him until it’s under control? I feed my goats a mixture of goat pellets, BOSS, soybean meal,beet pulp meal, sweet feed, oats.......I usually mix the parts a little different each time, because I’ve learned that the richer feeds, like the beet and soy can cause the poop to clump...so I just play with the ratios. I also give them alfalfa pellets because we don’t get much alfalfa hay around here...and the cubes don’t stay fresh, even in a tote and the6 won’t touch them..ugh! I also like Probios paste ....it has digestive enzymes and vitamins...I never needed it form worms, but I used it after kidding....seemed to help the moms. I also use Jump Start paste when my goats are feeling ‘off’...like when they have a fever or...my Busty ran really low after kidding...it helped. They sell the last two at TS...nutridrench has to be ordered...dumb!! They have it for poultry!! Please keep us posted on Buttons!!

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
He is only three ad a half months old and we are worried about giving him grain due to the UC. Our vet said NO GRAIN at all for a wether at his age. Once he's a year old he can eat what he wants according to the vet...This Replemin is supposed to do everything to increase his body's needs. at 16-18 lbs I can only give him a small dose so not to overdose him...I don't have nutri drench but will get some from TS as soon as I can. I don't like to poke him with needles but the B complex is here and I can use it more often than I do.. Once a week is what I've been doing. He's only been off with the worms since February 20, 2020 and was given 5 days of coccidia treatment and a shot of Ivermectin by the vet that day and the UT happened just last Wednesday...

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
It takes awhile for the anemia to reverse itself. Sounds like you're doing things right...hopefully he'll turn around for you.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, I have a question for you about my own wether...if no grain....how do you feed him separately, but still give everyone else the nutritional grain they need to produce milk etc? I have one goat who makes sooo much milk, she needs to eat a ton! But, I’m not quite sure how to separate Willy so he doesn’t ge5 the grain? I didn’t think it would affect him this young. He was born 1/31.

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
All of our goats are wethers. The oldest one (Rascal) is 6 1/2 months old. Shawn Patrick is 4 months old and Buttons is 12 days younger than Shawn Patrick, so he's three and a half months. We filter their water every day because our water is high in calcium. They are given goat pellets with ammonium chloride and we add 1 tsp more to the pellets when we feed them because it doesn't seem to be enough to our vet because of the two cases of UC we've had here. They have just that and free choice coastal hay, free choice minerals and baking soda. On Saturday they get a treat with BOSS about 1/3 cup and raisins or craisins, depending what we have 1/3 cup. But only on Saturday. Because of the phosphorus in this extra stuff.... That's all we feed them besides animal crackers and sometimes carrot slices. The two older boys are doing just great with FAMANCHA they are very red.. Buttons, not so much yet.