Buying 1/2 a Beef?

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I hope this doesn't seem like a dumb question. I'm going to be purchasing a side of beef, I was wondering if I could get some information on how to place the order with the butcher? I do know that we want the good cuts of beef cut into 1 1/2" steaks, we like ribs, but I would probably prefer to have steak, but some ribs would be nice. I also want to order an 8 lb prime rib, for Christmas dinner. The rest roasts, steaks & hamburger. I purchased a 1/4 beef many, many years ago, but don't remember how I placed the order. I just want to go to the butcher informed, I have no idea yet of the size of the beef we are getting. I also want to have bones cut up for making bone broth. Thank you for your help! :)

firebob

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I you google "ordering 1/2 a cow worksheet" you can read what different custom butchers have out there. After that I would have a talk with your butcher. A lot of times you have to ask for the bones as 90% of the people will not want them.

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I you google "ordering 1/2 a cow worksheet" you can read what different custom butchers have out there. After that I would have a talk with your butcher. A lot of times you have to ask for the bones as 90% of the people will not want them.
Thank you! I did a search for ordering a 1/2 a beef yesterday and found 1 good page. I will add worksheet to it and see what else I get. Thank you again...I appreciate your time! 😊

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The back leg is where round steak comes from, have it tenderized if going for chicken fried steak. I always ask for the offal-heart, kidneys, liver and cook and can it for the dogs. You can cook and chop it up, put in containers and freeze it for your dogs. They will love it mixed with kibble.

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The back leg is where round steak comes from, have it tenderized if going for chicken fried steak. I always ask for the offal-heart, kidneys, liver and cook and can it for the dogs. You can cook and chop it up, put in containers and freeze it for your dogs. They will love it mixed with kibble.
Thank you that is good to know...we like chicken fried steak! My son has dogs, a mom and her pup, so I will see if he wants to have that for them, I'm sure he will! She is 1/2 wolf and is the sweetest most beautiful dog I've ever seen, I'm sure she would love it, Milo would like it too! 💞

Attachments

• Edon 2.jpg
    Edon 2.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 172
  • Edon - Wild wolf.jpg
    Edon - Wild wolf.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 169

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Every butcher is different so ask if the butcher where the beef is going to be worked up has a custom cut sheet. Age and time of hanging is going to make some determination. And yes, ask for every bone, scrap, odd stuff back.... and get the fat for making tallow or to just freeze and you can make suet for the birds..... plus if you hunt and get a deer, you can get some of the fat added to the venison to make it more juicy in like hamburgers.
Also if you like stew meat or meat on the grill as shis-kabobs..... make sure you tell you wou would rather have more in stew meat and that it can be small pieces. They will put alot in burger if you don't tell them that. I like my stews with lots of meat and it doesn't have to be nice neat chunks.....

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Every butcher is different so ask if the butcher where the beef is going to be worked up has a custom cut sheet. Age and time of hanging is going to make some determination. And yes, ask for every bone, scrap, odd stuff back.... and get the fat for making tallow or to just freeze and you can make suet for the birds..... plus if you hunt and get a deer, you can get some of the fat added to the venison to make it more juicy in like hamburgers.
Also if you like stew meat or meat on the grill as shis-kabobs..... make sure you tell you wou would rather have more in stew meat and that it can be small pieces. They will put alot in burger if you don't tell them that. I like my stews with lots of meat and it doesn't have to be nice neat chunks.....
Thank you Jan! I was thinking about asking for the fat...I use beef tallow for some of my cooking and it's so expensive to buy, would be great to render my own and to have some for suet (thank you)! I was also thinking of stew meat, I like a lot of meat in my stew also! I definitely don't want as much hamburger, I can always grind my own when I need it! I'm feeling better equipped, I just need to get the information from my friend about the butcher he uses! The price is really good too, $4 a pound, including cut, wrap and butcher fee! Thank you again! :)

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think my baby Buff roo is sick! I posted this in the health thread on backyard chickens, but I want to post it here too!

My 4 week old Buff Orpington Rooster, seems to be off of his feed this morning! Every day I feed my chicks a morning mash of chick starter soaked in warm water. This little guy is the one that is always there to greet me and hop in my hand! Today, he was totally disinterested. I left them for a bit and came back and he was still standing in the same place he was when I left. I also give them a clump of grass and dirt to scratch around in...just to let you know the routine! I brought him into the house with me and checked him over...his crop is soft and I'm really not sure about his tummy! I want to observe him to see if he is going to the bathroom. Is there anything else I should check. I have some homemade electrolytes for chicks, should I give him some of that or wait and just watch him for a bit. I will be so sad if anything happens to him, he's my favorite!😪

My Rooster baby 4.6.2020.jpg

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Give him some yogurt incase of sour crop? But I would be more concerned with bowl movements at his age and when he goes (if) exam it for anything odd. Such as worms texture the whole nine yards.

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Give him some yogurt incase of sour crop? But I would be more concerned with bowl movements at his age and when he goes (if) exam it for anything odd. Such as worms texture the whole nine yards.
Thank you! He's sitting in my lap and he hasn't gone to the bathroom yet, but I've been waiting for him to! Should I use unsweetened Greek yogurt? My son is in town, which never happens, so he is picking up some Corid & electrolytes...I will have him pick up some yogurt too! I made some homemade electrolytes from this recipe, but it's been hard getting it into him.

Homemade Electrolyte Recipe for Chicks
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 teaspoons molasses OR 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride* (optional)

Latest posts