Buying an Experimental doe?

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just one point. It is possible, with ADGA, anyway for a goat to be 100% purebred from Registered purebred parents and still get registered as experimental.

For example, a if a solid color goat has a white spot that is larger than a quarter. One of my Toggenberg goats was like that. The kid in my avatar is a Togg. And the one that was "experimental" had some extra white on the face. And yes, I am sure on parents. At that time I only had one buck in the herd.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only thing about Saanens is their milk...it has the lowest butterfat of all dairy breeds.

@misfitmorgan Is the buck that sired these kids registered?

@Samantha drawz I wish I could get that kind of money for my does in milk. I have 4 to sell right now, registered and tested and I am asking 250.00 and will be lucky to get it. I sell my registered alpine doelings for 150.00 if I can sell them at all, and the bucks I sell wethered or unregistered for $50.00. These are purebred Alpine or LaManchas. A lot of goats where I live.

No the buck was not registered so kids won't be.

Just one point. It is possible, with ADGA, anyway for a goat to be 100% purebred from Registered purebred parents and still get registered as experimental.

For example, a if a solid color goat has a white spot that is larger than a quarter. One of my Toggenberg goats was like that. The kid in my avatar is a Togg. And the one that was "experimental" had some extra white on the face. And yes, I am sure on parents. At that time I only had one buck in the herd.

Yeah they told me she is half saanen half Nubian though and the buck is an alpine so the kids are 25 saanen 25 Nubian and 50 alpine

Last edited:

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score

That is true
Animals with color flaws in their breed are/can be registered as experimental

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
The only thing about Saanens is their milk...it has the lowest butterfat of all dairy breeds.

@misfitmorgan Is the buck that sired these kids registered?

@Samantha drawz I wish I could get that kind of money for my does in milk. I have 4 to sell right now, registered and tested and I am asking 250.00 and will be lucky to get it. I sell my registered alpine doelings for 150.00 if I can sell them at all, and the bucks I sell wethered or unregistered for $50.00. These are purebred Alpine or LaManchas. A lot of goats where I live.
I wish we were closer. I'd buy them at asking price any day maybe some day! . I guess the ones that are so expensive are Nubians. For whatever reason they are just considered a "fancy breed" round here. Anything with any part nubian is going for a lot. Of course I just love their temperament.....

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a lot of Nubians around here too so they are nothing special here. I always thought I wanted Nubians before owning goats, they are cute with those ears. But now that I have been around goats I see that most Nubians are very vocal and it makes me crazy; I like quiet goats. I also find that many of the Nubian breeders I know are snobs; not all of them, but a substantial number. But then I don't show my goats so according to them my goats are worthless. Those are the same people that made me keep my dairy plans a secret for so long....judgemental people are just rotten.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Around here $400 would be a great price assuming she's tested negative and show quality along with ADGA registration. we just sold a second freshening grade Lamancha in milk for $350. ADGA registered Negative cae test. They paid $50 more for her unregisterable buckling to be wethered for a pet. I so;d her by word of mouth without ever advertising her and possibly could have gotten more. The doe you'd get with her would go for at least $200 here.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish we were closer. I'd buy them at asking price any day maybe some day! . I guess the ones that are so expensive are Nubians. For whatever reason they are just considered a "fancy breed" round here. Anything with any part nubian is going for a lot. Of course I just love their temperament.....

Her the only pricey goats are Registered Boer really, esp the moonspots/Dapple base price for a kid is $400+ easily.

We got our mini nubian for $65..our friend kevin was given 2 nubian does and a nubian buck for free. Of course none of those are registered so yeah. For a registered nubian you can easily find them here for $150-200

Around here $400 would be a great price assuming she's tested negative and show quality along with ADGA registration. we just sold a second freshening grade Lamancha in milk for $350. ADGA registered Negative cae test. They paid $50 more for her unregisterable buckling to be wethered for a pet. I so;d her by word of mouth without ever advertising her and possibly could have gotten more. The doe you'd get with her would go for at least $200 here.

I dont think she is show quality and the owner has never milked her so there are some Ifs there. If those are the prices your getting down there i need to move. I have had a pure La Mancha Buck kid for sale for over a month and i cant even get $75 out of him at almost 3 months old and dehorned. Even the doe kid this goat would come with i was be hard pressed to get $100 out of when weaned. Anything not registered kid wise doesnt go for beans here. The only exception are the "mini" whatever kids, they seem popular and go for more.

The seller decided to keep the doe kid and lowered moms price to $125 so i might get mom. She also mentioned she is a FF in her ad update, which she didnt tell me.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Her the only pricey goats are Registered Boer really, esp the moonspots/Dapple base price for a kid is $400+ easily.

We got our mini nubian for $65..our friend kevin was given 2 nubian does and a nubian buck for free. Of course none of those are registered so yeah. For a registered nubian you can easily find them here for $150-200

I dont think she is show quality and the owner has never milked her so there are some Ifs there. If those are the prices your getting down there i need to move. I have had a pure La Mancha Buck kid for sale for over a month and i cant even get $75 out of him at almost 3 months old and dehorned. Even the doe kid this goat would come with i was be hard pressed to get $100 out of when weaned. Anything not registered kid wise doesnt go for beans here. The only exception are the "mini" whatever kids, they seem popular and go for more.

The seller decided to keep the doe kid and lowered moms price to $125 so i might get mom. She also mentioned she is a FF in her ad update, which she didnt tell me.

Maybe I should come out there to buy! LOL

I think everyone's been stuck with extra bucks sometimes. I sell Lamancha wethers $75/piece weaned. I'd probably give one away or go cheaper if someone was buying a doe or doeling from me. I only had one Lamancha buck this year and he was reserved before he was born for $200. I gave them a deal, but I'm always happy for a good home for the boys. Generally we sell grade doelings (ADGA registered, but as a recorded grade or experimental, not purebred or American) for $250 weaned and purebreds at $300. I'll do $50 off if I'm selling at 2 weeks as a bottle baby (which I won't always do) , and sometimes a 4-H discount or something depending on the goat.

You do know that if a doeling is born to two ADGA registered parents you can register and show them as a grade, right?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok so ironically, the owner of the experimental doe is a lady we trim hooves for and a goat we have trimmed a few times now. So she texted me and asked if i wanted to trade her for rabbits for the doe and her buck kid lol. I of course said yes. Its pretty funny neither of us knew who we were talking to thru email. So at the moment it looks like i will be getting the adult Doe.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe I should come out there to buy! LOL

I think everyone's been stuck with extra bucks sometimes. I sell Lamancha wethers $75/piece weaned. I'd probably give one away or go cheaper if someone was buying a doe or doeling from me. I only had one Lamancha buck this year and he was reserved before he was born for $200. I gave them a deal, but I'm always happy for a good home for the boys. Generally we sell grade doelings (ADGA registered, but as a recorded grade or experimental, not purebred or American) for $250 weaned and purebreds at $300. I'll do $50 off if I'm selling at 2 weeks as a bottle baby (which I won't always do) , and sometimes a 4-H discount or something depending on the goat.

You do know that if a doeling is born to two ADGA registered parents you can register and show them as a grade, right?

I do but the dad was not registered.