Buying Auction Goats?

DellaMyDarling

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Doe is seemingly drying off, other two don't appear to be bred, can't seem to find a buck service...
And money is always tight!
Keeps being suggested to me to try the local livestock auction, could nab a buck for super cheap.

I'm nervous about this.
Tell me, would you get an auction buck?

(I'm not in to showing or care about excellent old genetic milking lines. I just need a decent buck to get the job done and provide us with milk and some kid profits to put back in to the farm.)

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well......a buck is 50 percent of your herd, and what your saying is you want a buck for breeding..... if it was me, a auction would be my very last resort.... For these reasons, ...you have no history of his prior shots, breedings, what he has been exposed to and can bring to your place, you can't see his prior living conditions or the care he received.......on and on....
Have you tried CL or goat groups online.? and looked at bucks for sale there? At least if you went to look at one you could l see his offspring, learn and have some kind of his history.....many people sell bucks that they are finished using on Cl......at a auction you are buying the unknown.....
Just saying ......:idunno

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even a facebook group would be better than an auction. Although, the animal groups are moving to Mewe because FB forbids selling animals and deletes posts.

rosko

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Keeps being suggested to me to try the local livestock auction, could nab a buck for super cheap.

I'm nervous about this.
Tell me, would you get an auction buck?

Hi,

I never eat any animal born or raised on my hobby farm.

So I sell all my yearlings at auction when I couldn't sell them otherwise. These are very healthy animals but nobody except me knows this when they show up for bids. (before the auction starts I give a list to professional buyers who I know so they recognize them and pay a good price)

Every year I buy a new buck at a farm for my ladies and I resell that buck at auction 2 months later. I know that I bought a healthy animal to improve and grow my herd but nobody knows this when it shows up for bids.

Every year I discard problem animals (bad tempers, whiners, bullies, those who bug me). I know that it is a problem animal but nobody knows it this when it shows up for bids.

Now I do not happened to send sick or diseased animals at auctions but do other sellers feel the same?

But I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy any animal at auction for my herd.

One buying exception. If I see a nice buckling in Winter time that I can get for cheap (meat price or less, it happens) I will bring it home in the back of my truck where it stays all night until it gets a bullet in the head the next day en route for the freezer. But this animal NEVER comes close to my barn. Basic health rule.

DellaMyDarling

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

For the 100th time digging, finally found someone who may even agree to a rent to own scenario. Local family and breeder of one of my does. I'm going to hopefully check out her buck available tomorrow.
Really love making connections with others that will trust you to engage in such deals. She first offered to have him stay with us to ensure breeding takes. One reason we really love the area we live in, where trust and help thy neighbor still exists. Not everyone here is about making quick bucks (hehe, I had to.)

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Definitely never ever buy a buck or a doe at the local livestock auction yard. It is where everyone dumps their problem animals. Some may be healthy, but many are not, and the ones that went in healthy often catch something there to bring home to your farm.

Even though this is a nice neighbor you still need to ask for vaccination data. Did they provide it on your doe? Also do they test for CAE, and other health problems. You mention "kid profits". Are you planning to sell kids for meat? Not wanting to show is fine, but if you plan to sell the kids and make $$$ you need to make sure they are healthy. You need to avoid disease at all costs. The milk you will get for the house will be payback for the buck. You can also use him for many years to service your 3 does. You do not need to replace him unless you decide to keep your doe kids and need a different buck when they are ready to breed.

What do kids go for in your area? Will you sell for meat at the local auction or as a dairy prospect? Kids don't usually bring much unless they are specific breeds and are registered. Even then don't count on making a lot of money from sales. If you are planning to sell for meat or put meat in your freezer, I suggest you look for a meat buck for next year's breedings. He will put more meat on your half dairy kids and since you are not breeding for show or registered kids, they may bring more at the meat sales. The doe determines the milk output, not the buck, so you can use a meat buck to produce your kids.