buying calfs

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
But, when the heifer calf gets big enough you can breed her if you choose and have your own milk supply. The only options for a steer is just pet or put it in the freezer. With a heifer you have those two plus the option of milking!

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Has anyone had any problem raising just one alone? We never raised a *single* heifer after we learned of a neighbor who had raised a cow as a pet and then had to put her at a farm because of family circumstances. The cow never ever adjusted because she never related to cows at all even though she had been placed at a small farm where she was babied.
Even tho we tried to raise at least 2 preferably 3 together, they sometimes have a tough time adjusting to the pecking order of herd conditions.
If there is ever any possibility that she will some day have to go to a dairy herd, I'd suggest getting her a $25 steer buddy. Bovine buddy for her and freezer meat for you.
Just name him Mr Beef so your daughter understands he won't be there forever!

beefy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
i always recommend having two of a like species, especially cows because they are gregarious by nature. they will be much happier with a friend of the same species to communicate and learn with/from.

personally i would get a couple of heifers, and not really young calves if you dont have experience raising them. calves can be pretty hard to raise on a bottle on account of illnesses even if you know what you are doing.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
ive raised calves alone an had no probs.but i do run the cattle togather.my reg cows do not stay with the stock cows.they mostly stay with their own breed.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We rarely have one at a time but, even when we do there are other cattle around so it's not an issue here.

Calves aren't that bad to raise, as long as you keep the scours away.

miron28

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
i used to raise pigs in Florida and we used to have them butchered. i had to do all the dirty work and they would just cut the meat up in to what ever we wanted. we always named them dinner that always made it a little easier.

neal68

Just born
Reaction score
I think i am going to get her a heifer! now i just got to save up a couple of hundred bucks! my neighbor told me they sell for 400-500 dollars and the bull sell for around 25.00 so that is a big difference in price! but anything for daddy's little girls! hahaha they are spoiled
that is really high for the heifer she should be around $100 and that is kinda high. $25 for a bull calf is high too if he is under 70 lbs. good luck

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
neal68 That's not high here. It depends on what part of the country you are from and the demand of the calves.

Here is how markets here closed last week:

Calves
39% of the Bull Calves Sold 50.00 - 115.00 per head
24% of the Bull Calves Sold 20.00- 49.00 per head
Top Quality Holstein Heifer Calves 200.00 - 490.00 per head
Plain Quality Heifer Calves 150.00- 200.00 per head
Lightweight Heifer Calves 100.00 per head and down

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
holstein heifer calves around here are $300 to $500.the last hol heifer i bought i gave $450 years ago.