Buying pregnant goats before we move. Good idea or bad?

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have an opportunity to buy a couple of pregnant Nigerian Dwarf goats but they're due late August and we're moving mid August (in the same town, so not a long journey). Would it be too stressful for the does to move so late in pregnancy?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not if you do it in the cooler hours, and not if it is NOT very far away. Of course that also is subject to the goats dispositions.... high strung or not....if you are buying them now, then they should be well accustomed to you. Don't crowd them and make sure they have plenty of water before they get moved... and take some of that water with you so they do not get subject to a water change the first day on top of everything else....
We move pregnant cows all the time, try to make it as easy on them as possible...

Have familiar water, hay, feed... and keep the same ones together that are used to each other. Do not move them AND change their hierarchy.....

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Not if you do it in the cooler hours, and not if it is NOT very far away. Of course that also is subject to the goats dispositions.... high strung or not....if you are buying them now, then they should be well accustomed to you. Don't crowd them and make sure they have plenty of water before they get moved... and take some of that water with you so they do not get subject to a water change the first day on top of everything else....
We move pregnant cows all the time, try to make it as easy on them as possible...

Have familiar water, hay, feed... and keep the same ones together that are used to each other. Do not move them AND change their hierarchy.....
Alrighty. Thank you for the advice. 😁
We're going over to see the goats this evening. Thought we would be looking at Nigerians but, apparently, they're mini-Nubians. A mother and daughter, both pregnant. Never had mini-Nubs. Need to do some research and see if they're as loud as "Regular" Nubians.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Alrighty. Thank you for the advice. 😁
We're going over to see the goats this evening. Thought we would be looking at Nigerians but, apparently, they're mini-Nubians. A mother and daughter, both pregnant. Never had mini-Nubs. Need to do some research and see if they're as loud as "Regular" Nubians.
Did you go see them? What did you think?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not all Nubians are loud, just that the breed is known for talking a lot. 😁 A mini nub is a cross with niggie and nub. Mine were great mom's, milk producers and not loud. They readily raised their triplets every time. Some goats are not good with more than twins but, niggies seem to be....it appears to have something to do with their mentality that once two are nursing and done, the third is left standing. Just my observations over the years, with mini and full sized.

You know, we love, love pictures!! ;)

Last edited:

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Not all Nubians are loud, just that the breed is known for talking a lot. 😁 A mini nub is a cross with niggie and nub. Mine were great mom's, milk producers and not loud. They readily raised their triplets every time. Some goats are not good with more than twins but, niggies seem to be....it appears to have something to do with their mentality that once two are nursing and done, the third is left standing. Just my observations over the years, with mini and full sized.

You know, we love, love pictures!! ;)
Yup! Only it turns out the owner DID have Nigerian Dwarfs so we bought 2 of them instead of the mini-Nubs. The Nigerians are, supposedly, pregnant (they've been in with a buck for a couple of months and she didn't see them come back in heat) but I can't tell. They're due the end of August but they seem small to me. :idunnoIf they're not, the owner said we can bring them back and try breeding them again.

Lily and Poppy
20210616_200017.jpg