buying sheep

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps if you speak to the woman who sold you the ram, she'd be willing to either trade you for a wether or sell you a young wether for a modest price.

I bought my buck from a breeder who always includes a wether if he's the only male. Cool idea, although I've never encountered this phenomenon with sheep breeders in my limited experience.

When I first purchased my sheep, I wasn't fully aware of the diseases that could be terrible to deal with. A breeder from upstate New York where I purchased 3 ewes and Casper (my ram), educated me about OPP, Scrapie, and Johne's. I tested my small flock for the Scrapie resistant gene, and OPP and Johne's. At the time, I had two bred Katahdin ewes. Both tested RR for Scrapie resistance and negative for both OPP and Johne's. Many people think all sheep as terminal and don't see the value in testing. My sheep are loving pets just like my goats. Having testing your sheep gives you peace of mind knowing that your investment (both heart and wallet) isn't oing to fall ill with one of these diseases or be spreading it into other acquisitions.
Ill talk to her or people around and should the wether be the same breed? I can probably get one from someone else. Our entire flock we had to travel some distance to actually get since there were no breeders in our area.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ill talk to her or people around and should the wether be the same breed? I can probably get one from someone else. Our entire flock we had to travel some distance to actually get since there were no breeders in our area.
Doesn't matter the breed of the wether, if I were you I would get a wooly ;) Sorry Im a fiber fanatic :p

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Lol I would but problem with getting a wooly would be he would need to be sheered which we chose our breed specifically so we didn't have to lol thanks though. It's good to know it doesn't have to be the same breed

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know how rams interact with wethers, but if it's anything like goats... Just make sure you don't get a wether that is a significantly smaller breed.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ah I remember you mentioning that! Im sure you can find a bud for Gordon in your area. Hair sheep seem to be very common no matter where you are.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Another day another task... today I have started the taming of the flock. Ramsey is fine with me, but the girls are still wary.
I started with making sure I was seen as someone who provides them with food. Sara was the first to eat happily the others it took a bit longer
20170222_071119.jpg
any advice on taming them? Any will help

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just time and interaction...even if it is to just stand in the area with them. It lets them get use to seeing you and your smell is associated with your actions. Hold some food in your hand and just wait for them to eat it. Restrain the need to reach out and touch them right now, they will be jumpy at your movement, so move slowly and if they touch you, then begin to scratch or rub lightly. It won't take too long before they will warm-up to ya. :)

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just time and interaction...even if it is to just stand in the area with them. It lets them get use to seeing you and your smell is associated with your actions. Hold some food in your hand and just wait for them to eat it. Restrain the need to reach out and touch them right now, they will be jumpy at your movement, so move slowly and if they touch you, then begin to scratch or rub lightly. It won't take too long before they will warm-up to ya. :)
I have discovered that Ramsey is weak to butt and back scratches. As I scratch him he starts rubbing him face on my arm or arching his back and wagging his tail. Lol. I was in their she'd with them for 20 minutes today feeding them and watering them, and I made sure I didn't do any sudden movements.... sara is a little piggy though she ate so much before one of the moms pushed her out of the way and the others took over :lol:. Just watching them interact is pretty amusing