buying sheep

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we got our goats they were pasture goats with very little human interaction, so they only associated humans with being "Man-Handled" for maintenance purposes. They brought us Star, the older doe, dragging her from the pasture by her horns. The boys were only 9-10wks old, but had to be captured before being brought out. I went out and cut limbs of leaves and took them to their pen for them to eat. They eventually warmed up to me, and we put them on leads and walked them around each day. The Boys of course warmed up first and got off the leads, but it took Star several months to do so. Now, 1.5 yrs later, she is the sweetest one we have, but is still very skittish to strangers and other animals in the area...even the cats. :)

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When we got our goats they were pasture goats with very little human interaction, so they only associated humans with being "Man-Handled" for maintenance purposes. They brought us Star, the older doe, dragging her from the pasture by her horns. The boys were only 9-10wks old, but had to be captured before being brought out. I went out and cut limbs of leaves and took them to their pen for them to eat. They eventually warmed up to me, and we put them on leads and walked them around each day. The Boys of course warmed up first and got off the leads, but it took Star several months to do so. Now, 1.5 yrs later, she is the sweetest one we have, but is still very skittish to strangers and other animals in the area...even the cats. :)
According to the girls old owner they are some of the sweetest girls in her flock (I regularly stay in contact with her) and would come up and eat out of her hand... the other night when we carried them out of the trailer probably freaked them out a bit since it was new and the owner they used to know is no longer around them... so I have a feeling it's gonna take a bit before they will let me touch them

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
It will, they have been uprooted from what they "Knew" and were comfortable with, to new people, surroundings, and smells. Just like if someone came by and took you from your place there and shuffled ya into a whole new area with new people around you. It would take a little while for you to adjust too. Also, with the separation and new surroundings the hierachy of the flock has been disrupted, too and will have to be worked out there. :)

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It will, they have been uprooted from what they "Knew" and were comfortable with, to new people, surroundings, and smells. Just like if someone came by and took you from your place there and shuffled ya into a whole new area with new people around you. It would take a little while for you to adjust too. Also, with the separation and new surroundings the hierachy of the flock has been disrupted, too and will have to be worked out there. :)
Ya I get that it would be a bit unsettling to suddenly be uprooted and put in a new place. I'm glad I got a social group and not just random sheep because the hierarchy is still there besides our ram who is still trying to fit in.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Be careful with Ramsey, the cute rubbing his head and gentle nudging can turn/will turn into full blown ramming in the future. Trust me, I learned the hard way, with our first ram(katahdinX) who we allowed to get friendly with us. At first it was a minor inconvienence but as it came to his first birthday it became a major issue, I got hit hard a few times which resulted in bruised bones, and a broken phone. I know you only want the best for him thats why Im giving you a heads up.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Be careful with Ramsey, the cute rubbing his head and gentle nudging can turn/will turn into full blown ramming in the future. Trust me, I learned the hard way, with our first ram(katahdinX) who we allowed to get friendly with us. At first it was a minor inconvienence but as it came to his first birthday it became a major issue, I got hit hard a few times which resulted in bruised bones, and a broken phone. I know you only want the best for him thats why Im giving you a heads up.
Yup that's why we are trying to get him used to us as much as possible.. I haven't had him attempt to ram me yet even in a playful manner and I do my best not to touch his face if I'm petting him lol. Any tips on keeping a friendly ram?

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We don't play with our rams for the same reason (future butting).

The thing we did that got our sheep comfortable was to go in the pen when we were feeding and just squat down where they were feeding. We didn't reach for them but let them check us out. Sheep are curious critters and adjust pretty fast. We are relatively new to sheep but our sheep went from nearly feral to about as comfortable as you can get without being pets (which we don't want) in two months. We do want them to be used to touch to save both them and us issues later on.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We don't play with our rams for the same reason (future butting).

The thing we did that got our sheep comfortable was to go in the pen when we were feeding and just squat down where they were feeding. We didn't reach for them but let them check us out. Sheep are curious critters and adjust pretty fast. We are relatively new to sheep but our sheep went from nearly feral to about as comfortable as you can get without being pets (which we don't want) in two months. We do want them to be used to touch to save both them and us issues later on.
I am making sure not really to play with him. If he comes up to me I will give him back rubs and scratches but I'm really the only person he will actually come to. So I hope that that doesn't encourage him to head butt

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have three rams who live together most of the year. They are all friendly. I scratch their necks and clean their wool. Never touch the top of their heads or push on their head to steer them or move them. They're a nice group of gentlemen. I've had them all since they were young. My oldest ram is 2 years old and the youngest will be 1 year old in April. All the same breed.

The ewes are so friendly now but like others mentioned, it took time. Every one of the ewes except one loves attention. I was told to be slow and deliberate in my movements, never reach over their eyes to touch the top of their heads (I can now with no problem but they learned to trust me), don't abruptly touch them when they're unaware. I always talk to them and say their name before touching them when their eyes are not on me. They will come to know their names and each has a personality that you'll come to know. Be patient with them.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have three rams who live together most of the year. They are all friendly. I scratch their necks and clean their wool. Never touch the top of their heads or push on their head to steer them or move them. They're a nice group of gentlemen. I've had them all since they were young. My oldest ram is 2 years old and the youngest will be 1 year old in April. All the same breed.

The ewes are so friendly now but like others mentioned, it took time. Every one of the ewes except one loves attention. I was told to be slow and deliberate in my movements, never reach over their eyes to touch the top of their heads (I can now with no problem but they learned to trust me), don't abruptly touch them when they're unaware. I always talk to them and say their name before touching them when their eyes are not on me. They will come to know their names and each has a personality that you'll come to know. Be patient with them.
One of my girls lambs Lily as I call her since she is pure white except for a brown smudge on her neck, ran up to me this morning and greeted me at the gate .... if I didn't have any self control I would have reached down right then and there to pet her. But anyways it's awesome! And Ramsey is starting to be accepted into the group a but better