buying sheep

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm afraid I may have ruined it with one of the babies.... I was in the shed cleaning up and the others came in to see what I was up to. So I quickly finished what I was doing and got up to leave only to come face to face with a baby coming in the door (she accidentally slammed into me) and she ran away screaming for her mom.... I swear if sheep had expressions momma would be rolling her eyes as she called her baby back. Lol

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Relax. You haven't ruined anything. Just keep feeding them and they will warm up to you. It takes time, but there is nothing wrong with reaching out and trying to touch them. In fact, try sitting on a bucket in their pen with a little grain. Getting down to their level and wiggling your fingers at them often lures them in too.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Relax. You haven't ruined anything. Just keep feeding them and they will warm up to you. It takes time, but there is nothing wrong with reaching out and trying to touch them. In fact, try sitting on a bucket in their pen with a little grain. Getting down to their level and wiggling your fingers at them often lures them in too.
I've tried getting down to their level and wiggling my fingers lol they just look at me like I'm crazy and go back to grazing. I have put their food dish in front of me and sat down and read a book. One of the lambs came up and sniffed me the started eating so I guess that's a start.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's finally working!!! Yay!
20170224_160021.jpg

I finally got a picture of little maybel, lily's younger twin sister.
I just sat down where they were grazing today, and they steadily came over to me willingly!
20170224_160012.jpg

I didn't expect them to come so close so quickly! Yay :celebrate
20170224_160128.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have a nice flock. I love the name Gordon RAMsey! :lol: Don't try to be his friend too much. I got my first ram last summer, he was 9 months old. He ate out of my hand, I was thrilled. He loved scratches under his chin, I was delighted. I was careful not to rub his head.

The problem started when I stopped scratching or ran out of feed. He wanted MORE. More attention, more feed, NOW. My mistake. He tagged me a few times and I whipped a plastic grocery bag out of my pocket, waved it at him and yelled. He ran away. He half way reared up a month ago in preparation to ram me and I quickly slapped him across his nose and ran at him. He ran away. With animals, in their language, the one who moves their feet is the loser. If you run or back up, you are the loser. So my mistake was getting too cuddly with him, because those balls drop, get bigger and the hormones kick in. Now we just give each other the "eye" and I never turn my back on him.

It is good to have your ram fear you just enough to recognize that you are the leader. That little bit of fear is respect. If RAMsey starts getting RAMbunctious (sorry, I just had to :gig) Make him move his feet. Make friends with your ewes, make your ram respect you.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You have a nice flock. I love the name Gordon RAMsey! :lol: Don't try to be his friend too much. I got my first ram last summer, he was 9 months old. He ate out of my hand, I was thrilled. He loved scratches under his chin, I was delighted. I was careful not to rub his head.

The problem started when I stopped scratching or ran out of feed. He wanted MORE. More attention, more feed, NOW. My mistake. He tagged me a few times and I whipped a plastic grocery bag out of my pocket, waved it at him and yelled. He ran away. He half way reared up a month ago in preparation to ram me and I quickly slapped him across his nose and ran at him. He ran away. With animals, in their language, the one who moves their feet is the loser. If you run or back up, you are the loser. So my mistake was getting too cuddly with him, because those balls drop, get bigger and the hormones kick in. Now we just give each other the "eye" and I never turn my back on him.

It is good to have your ram fear you just enough to recognize that you are the leader. That little bit of fear is respect. If RAMsey starts getting RAMbunctious (sorry, I just had to :gig) Make him move his feet. Make friends with your ewes, make your ram respect you.
Lol im glad the name is liked. I couldnt stop giggling even before i got him since i had five names that in my opinion were funny and didnt know which one would stick once he was chosen.. im glad gordon ramsay stuck lmfao!!!!!He's at the age where he is still scared of everything and quite shy. I have made sure not to suprise him and made my presence somewhat of a norm. I will not touch his head only his back at this moment lol.

If I have a hand full of sweet feed everyone is my friend (besides sara ARGH :barnie)
Both molly and Jenny (the moms) have approached and eaten quite happily out of my hand while sara still doesn't dare approach me..... makes me sad because she is the sheep I want most to like me since I bought her with my own money :(.... well I guess she's one of those that will take more time and convincing especially after the bucket incedent :hu.

I starting to think tonight is going to be a rough night.... lightening and thunder are very bright and VERY loud and I can hear the coyotes "talking" ......how much you wanna bet that the doe code kicks in with Newton tonight? This is gonna be fun:hide

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Looking at the pics again.... Jenny and molly need to put on a bit of weight... their girls nursing for that long was pretty rough on them weight wise. I'm glad we have farmer friends around the area that say they will let them graze away from the herd if needed. Or is the way they look normal?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have Livestock Guard Dogs?

My most flighty, bounce off the wire fence trying to get away from me, ewe, became my best friend right before she had twin lambs. She not only allowed, but wanted me to rub her belly and scratch her back. She ate from my hand where before she acted like I was offering her poison. So don't give up on Sara.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We don't we may b
Do you have Livestock Guard Dogs?

My most flighty, bounce off the wire fence trying to get away from me, ewe, became my best friend right before she had twin lambs. She not only allowed, but wanted me to rub her belly and scratch her back. She ate from my hand where before she acted like I was offering her poison. So don't give up on Sara.
We don't have a dog but we may be getting a donkey soon. Plus our sheep are locked up at night nothing can get them in their house. We have wood wedged against the already shut door as a precaution.

I hope sara ends up being the same way. She is a really beautiful girl in my opinion with a fun personality..... my dad even agrees that she was the right sheep to get.just she is shy around me.....