BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?

What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?

• how much land/space you have to raise livestock on

Votes: 190 86.8%
  • what type of fencing to have: electric wire, wooden fence, etc.

Votes: 153 69.9%
  • herds’ holding pen

Votes: 88 40.2%
  • how much time you can spend caring for the herds

Votes: 162 74.0%
  • your knowledge about raising herds

Votes: 142 64.8%
  • feed costs

Votes: 154 70.3%
  • purpose of the herd (Milk/meat, both?)

Votes: 154 70.3%
  • future plans (Breeding, Selling Meat, etc)

Votes: 133 60.7%
  • Others: (Please specify)

Votes: 39 17.8%

• Total voters

AllenK

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I will say this dog is annoying. She does like to "kiss".Nobody likes a dog tongue in their mouth. At least nobody I know.

AllenK

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I will also say she is amazing and a really hard working thing in need of gainful employment. She really needs heels to nip and herd.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am thinking of having a Mac truck full of compost delivered, It is just that we have that Mack truck here around the corner and the next time he is in McAllen he can pick up a load of compost.
In the fall I pick up bags of leaves set out at the curb for the garbage man to pick up. I put them in the chicken coop and run. The chickens enjoy the leaves, scratch them to bits, poop on them and make me lovely black crumbly compost. I dig it out, put it straight on the garden and toss in more leaves.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chickens can turn anything into nice rich compost. I used to love them when we had them because they would eat the maggots in poop, and break up the horse apples.

AllenK

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I love this dog I want to get rid of. She is more than awesome. It is a red heelere that we have fully vetted. She was not cheap to vet. She loves me loads though. I am sure she would love anyone else as much. She is a dang goood dog just meant to be a hesrding breed. I know she will kill another flock of chicken when I nap. It is just how she do it. She kills my flocks and needs to leave the property.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our black Lab/great Dane had to be put down a few weeks ago. He was full of cancer. It was and still is heartbreaking. We now have a Catahoula pup about 6 months old that wandered up to our DD's house. They gave him to us to replace the dog we lost. Catahoulas are used to hunt hogs and herd cattle. He is brilliant smart, but that hunting instinct is there. He alerted on the chickens and our male Great Pyrenees plowed into him like a Mack truck, took him by the throat and shook him like a rat. He looked at the chickens a few more times and a firm No from me sent him scurrying under the porch. He will run up to the fence and bark at the sheep and gets scolded for it. I just heard our male GP correct the Catahoula pup with a snapping growl and went outside. They both came from the fence where the sheep are, so I can only surmise that the pup was a little too interested in the sheep. I praised the GP and petted him.

The pup no longer even looks sideways at the chickens. I'll be working on the sheep part.