C&D Farming..oh what a life!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi there...since threads can go on for ever, I’m going to take my time explaining how we became hobby farmers. My husban has farming in his background, but he didn’t enjoy the cruel part. I was raised in the wealthy suburbs south of Pgh and always wanted many animals. Always wanted to do 4h...but apparently they don’t let mutts in the fair. :). I married young and had IVF treatment to conceive my son. I broke my back in four places giving birth, due to an unknown spinal disorde. My ex left me. My parents had retired to NW PA and I needed their help. I was in a wheelchair at that point with a baby. Things gradually got a bit better, but I wore a leg brace for 10 years...let’s back up. I met this wonderful man, Chris...when not even my relatives thought Id ever find love. My back never got better, and other parts of my health got worse. My shi tzu became my service dog for seizures. I had tremors bad, and seizures at least four a day...full blown epilepsy. Other health stuff too. I had an inHome health aide for a couple months so Chris could leave my side a bit. But, then i got on medication and things started to turn around! We were Having a lot of fun in the garden...we sell our produce in our own farm market at the end of our driveway. I always needed a cane, but it was ok. We were out raking apples and I hurt my ankle. Bad. After months of drs..it turned out I tore my perineal tendon. Had surgery. But..it turned out to be a gift from God! You see, I had 7 mths of intense PT...they didn’t only work my ankle, but my whole leg...which was my bad leg from years ago. I became stronger than ever! During my PT, Chris knew my love of animals and, we gradually started up the farm, one type at a time. And now we have rabbits, chickens, roosters, ducks, goose, pot belly pigs, Hampshire pig goats and three wonderful dogs! I gained 20 lbs... I was 105 and a wreck of bones...now I’m strong, I feel better than I have in 25 years...and couldn’t have done any of it without my husband, who knew what I wanted and gave it all to me, and God.

My son, Ben is now 21, a junior at Slippery Rock University. He's majoring in sports medicine and is interning for the football team this second term also as their strength and conditioning coach. He is a fitness fanatic. He has his own website for training. He works out at least 2 1/2 hrs a day plus running several miles. He ran his first marathon in Aug. 4hrs 11 min. He runs an ultra marathon...which is 59 miles near Niagara Falls in February! He’s nuts! he also continues to makes deans list and got a 4.89 last term! I’m very proud!

I taught Sunday school for 16 years and it was a great Blessing in my life to know all those wonderful children. Chris is a retired contractor, Blessed to retire at 40. We own 35 apartment units and an old movie theater that he turned into space for car storage. Vehicles are his passion. He builds them from the frame up...until we started farming...now he just tinkers with them, but once more of my buildings are done, I won’t need his help. I do the farm work, he’s does the building.

As of today we have 13 chickens, 18 pullets, 4 cockerels, 1 rooster. 20 rabbits and 6 baby bunnies that are sooo cute! One bunny pulling fur! 27 ducks...and 14 eggs...two ducks are going broody or about to...they keep running back to check them...I haven’t quite decided if Im going to let them set. But, I’m leaning towards yes. I’m a sucker for ducks. Plus, we’re coming up on the time when people will be buying ducklings, so maybe I’ll sell some? We have 1 goose. Had two. I’ll tell that story soon. We have two adorable pot belly pigs. Portly and Jumbo, and they came by their names honestly! :). They are very clean pigs and smart. I let them free range much or the day when it’s warm and they like to follow me around. I have two goats..one Pygmy mix, Stormy. One Nigerian Dwarf mix, Busty. Chris named them..lol. They are both pregnant and I am wayyyy too nervous. But, admittedly I have reading too much and overthinking everything. But they are very sweet goats and I just love them to bits. I’m both scared and excited for their kidding...Jan 28 and Feb 1. And then 3 dogs..one shi tzu..Muggs , a French Bulldog, Grover and English Bulldog, Ruby. They are qui funny...skittish, fun-loving and fat, all in that order!

We have 35 acres up in Kane, PA...my Dad loves to call it a farmette, just to tease. Our house looks like a giant barn...it was a barn at one point...Chris torn down the barn..kept part of the foundation and built way up around it. So now our house has garage..then barn, then house, with more garages and basement underneath, all in one building. We have a giant S shaped pond that Chris dug out with his backhoe for our last name. I just think that is sooo cool. Oh, almost forgot ano cool thing..we have a full sized..1/4 mile race track! He went to our local race track and got the exact specs....then came home and built it. It has high lines and low lines...meaning steep banks, and flat spots with embankments that, if going fast enough, you could fly over! It’s a blast! The guys have had many races with up to 5 cars at a time. Chris and I just go together. But, dirt track racing is much different than most think, and 45 mph is very fast...took me a long time to get up that fast! Heck.. I don’t go that fast on the real roads! :)

ok, that’s it for today..that’s our background, so maybe some more of what I add will make sense? :lol: per not, but I’ll do my best!

Attachments

• 695B7C9D-D94C-4BEB-B98B-B1F783A908A4.jpeg
    695B7C9D-D94C-4BEB-B98B-B1F783A908A4.jpeg
    434.3 KB · Views: 280
  • 3D537084-50E1-4BF5-8C51-745A1FF6D988.jpeg
    3D537084-50E1-4BF5-8C51-745A1FF6D988.jpeg
    561.2 KB · Views: 307
  • A49C3B3A-E000-43D9-9555-C54B0786728A.jpeg
    A49C3B3A-E000-43D9-9555-C54B0786728A.jpeg
    341.2 KB · Views: 295
  • 81E5F33C-0A9E-4524-873B-A0821D6B9F6E.jpeg
    81E5F33C-0A9E-4524-873B-A0821D6B9F6E.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 275
  • FADD8DF8-7A3B-4520-A506-AB20649712A1.jpeg
    FADD8DF8-7A3B-4520-A506-AB20649712A1.jpeg
    283.1 KB · Views: 274
  • DE98E931-C909-4DFE-8F34-8A9AEFDE5B5E.jpeg
    DE98E931-C909-4DFE-8F34-8A9AEFDE5B5E.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 270
  • 0FC54FAB-575C-4A13-BD7A-76221004545F.jpeg
    0FC54FAB-575C-4A13-BD7A-76221004545F.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 284
  • 58E1D936-F2F7-4DBE-B71D-D33E9BFBA588.jpeg
    58E1D936-F2F7-4DBE-B71D-D33E9BFBA588.jpeg
    407.6 KB · Views: 273
  • 7F8C0E0E-EBBE-4A60-927E-60E41970C678.jpeg
    7F8C0E0E-EBBE-4A60-927E-60E41970C678.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 302
  • FD42E759-7713-4CA6-A806-826BF5D839FF.jpeg
    FD42E759-7713-4CA6-A806-826BF5D839FF.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 292

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have certainly had your downs and your ups. How wonderful that your health has returned and that you are enjoying life with all your animals and your loving husband. Dreams do come true.
I don’t see it as downs...I see it all as making me a better person! I wouldn’t be HERE if I wasn’t there...you know? My son says his life goal is to be better each day than he was the day before...and he’s the one doing it all! I only mentioned my past so people could understand how Blessed we are! But, yes...dreams do come true..and he is loving! I’m not too bad myself...:lol:

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here’s a fun story about how I met Chris... a long long time ago I was getting my nails done and this great looking guy came in.....I eyed him up...he eyed me up. At the time, Ben, my son was a baby..and there was NO way I was dating!! But it was nice to have a flirtation. He was doing repairs at the salon because he owned it, and, he was casually dating my nail lady...:lol: Years later..I was in the dog food isle of Walmart...and this guy, randomly starts talking to me...it was him!! Now, I had a cane and a leg brace...I was no catch...:lol: We went to Wendy’s and talked four 4 hours. That was it...never apart from that moment! He was rough, I was fancy, he wasn’t Godly, I taught Sunday school, he didn’t want kids..I have one! And we just blended perfectly together! Our friends tease now that we’ve been together too long...we say never...

My Dad is a real character...ornery as all heck! He calls me “crazy” for starting a farm. Calls Ben a communist for running marathons...:lol: who else has aDad like that? I’ll bet a bunch of you...

We got our Shi Tzu, Muggs Mayfield..from a puppy mill. It was a giant barn with one window with dogs stacked on each other. No human contact. He was one when we got him. Unfortunately, he is still skittish, but he’s sweet to me. Ben thinks he’s more like a cat. He’s sure on you when you have a morsel!
FFF59CEE-4B02-4947-BD48-1C42AED8E307.jpeg
B49600E0-99E5-41F1-93BD-EBDCB7318109.jpeg

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I hurt my ankle. Bad. After months of drs..it turned out I tore my perineal tendon.
:lol: :lol::lol: You're a big girl, and I hope I know you well enough for a little teasing. Hope this was a typo, because tearing the peroneal tendon would be bad enough but to tear the perineal.....really ouch!
Enjoyed reading about the early stages of your life. Talk about life giving you lemons, and making lemonaded. You go girl!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol: :lol::lol: You're a big girl, and I hope I know you well enough for a little teasing. Hope this was a typo, because tearing the peroneal tendon would be bad enough but to tear the perineal.....really ouch!
Enjoyed reading about the early stages of your life. Talk about life giving you lemons, and making lemonaded. You go girl!
Yeah..I guess I got that wrong like the rabbit, huh? :lol:! The dumb outside of my ankle..27 staples! But it’s great now and ?I dance a jig all day long..and the teasing is great...keeps me on my toes! All four of them..no, just kidding

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a split tear in the peroneus brevis tendon in my right foot. Didn't have the surgery and it's stabilized somewhat - but not necessarily "healed." Can't imagine the pain that a perineal tear would bring!
It certainly wasn’t fun. But, afterwards, with the PT..that saved my life! I’m better now than in 25 years!! I’m sooo happy and we are sooo Blessed and we have our health, family and farm...Chris said he wants us to just cruise through the next 40 years because it can’t get any better!! :)

You bette4 take care of that foot before it gets worse and does permanent damage...trust me...

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's been 2 years....other parts of my foot have taken over and stabilized the whole area. I consulted several docs. One said 'do it' - the podiatrist of course. The orthopedic surgeon said - nope. I went with the 'nope' because I'm a wuss!

Sounds like yours was the peroneus longus tendon...much bigger area. The peroneus brevis tendon is smaller and the surgery is much more difficult. And of course it's kinda unusual to tear the brevis - but I sure managed it, lol.