C&D Farming..oh what a life!

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
W

Whats wrong with the being in the pond ? They are not dummies, they will come out when they are ready to,.and if you happened to loose a drake in the process well. That's nature.
What is your goal .? Pets,...sales...future freezer food ?
We help our farm animals when they are in trouble, as in sick.....I don't run around checking everyone's temperature weekly, I provide them with fresh clean water, feed and a clean environment, watch for problems and I let them live their comfortable life here.
Please take this the right way, not as a criticism, ...you are learning farm and livestock life, rabbits have had kits for years, goats have been born without human intervention and on and on....we had a FF nigerian dwarf deliver quads during the night and were all surprised in the morning.... yes it's nice to be there to assist IF they need assistance. You are at the point of worrying about all your animals and that will either drive you and Chris crazy or make you sick with worry.....relax, enjoythem and set your priorities for you and your farm and what you want to gain from the experience , sure hope you feel better soon with your stomach virus :hugs :frow
AMEN!!! A voice of reason. Don't let the tail wag the dog.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
You know what I like about you? You face reality head on. You started with your head in the clouds, all rainbows and little white ponies. You thought you could have a Disney movie farm where all the animals love each other, abandon their own natural behaviors and gather around the camp fire holding paws and singing Kum-bah-ya.

Then here came reality. When reality slapped you upside the head, you didn't wring your hands whining and wondering what was WRONG with all your sweet little animals. No, you didn't. Despite you saying that you lack confidence, I don't believe that. You are a strong lady, you have more in you than you realize.

You started educating yourself. You are still educating yourself. You come here and ask, you think out loud, you ask again. And you learn.
Thank you...I think I’m getting better with the confidence...and I’m definitely trying to learn how to run this farm so everyone is healthy and safe. I think...if I would’ve found this forum first....it would’ve been a Blessing...you guys are much more realistic and much more....not laid back...but....not obsessed....and I can become easily obsessed with worry About animals!! Thank you very much for the compliments, it’s much appreciated...:). Means a lot from someone who clearly has the respect of everyone on here!!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
W

Whats wrong with the being in the pond ? They are not dummies, they will come out when they are ready to,.and if you happened to loose a drake in the process well. That's nature.
What is your goal .? Pets,...sales...future freezer food ?
We help our farm animals when they are in trouble, as in sick.....I don't run around checking everyone's temperature weekly, I provide them with fresh clean water, feed and a clean environment, watch for problems and I let them live their comfortable life here.
Please take this the right way, not as a criticism, ...you are learning farm and livestock life, rabbits have had kits for years, goats have been born without human intervention and on and on....we had a FF nigerian dwarf deliver quads during the night and were all surprised in the morning.... yes it's nice to be there to assist IF they need assistance. You are at the point of worrying about all your animals and that will either drive you and Chris crazy or make you sick with worry.....relax, enjoythem and set your priorities for you and your farm and what you want to gain from the experience , sure hope you feel better soon with your stomach virus :hugs :frow
Well...I worry about being in the pond due to predators...we’ve lost a few. Lost a female Muscovy two weeks ago. The females I don’t want to lose...they are the gems...especially the Muscovies...they make a beautiful cooing noise that I just love. Constructive Criticism is fine anyways..if you do give it...it makes me stronger..!! And, I think we’ve chatted enough that I know you don’t mean to hurt my feelings. But...I don’t want to sell ducks...that was a huge mistake, Chris was just sick of eating them. They really are pets...but, as he has pointed out, I can’t have 51 pets. I’d like a reasonable 15-17 ducks...but mostly hens. Ok, I’ll try to relax about it...if they love the pond so much...ok. It just was easier in the summer when they all went nicely into the pen...and I didn't feel like a failure that my pets might be eaten by a coyote overnight.
As for the the flu... i slept until 9:30!! Chris had to do the chores again. I suppose it’s not the end of the world...but I miss my Animals and the house looks like a bomb went off...I think he forgot how to wash dishes...

Thanks for your calming words...I would absolutely love to go out to the barn and find my kids be born!! That would be Christmas and my birthday all wrapped up into one!!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Put a shelter near the pond. Relax. Eliminate some drakes. Predators? Deal as they come.

You have dogs? They can have duck for dinner....harvest, freeze/can and use excess for them. Wild Harvest charges a lot fir their duck & rice feeds. Cut your feed bill.

I know, I know....pets but---you can keep more females!
We have the duck pen near the pond that has some duck houses in it...so they can go in there....it’s very near the barn..like 30 ft away. I am going to eliminate more drakes...first thing as soon as I feel better...I have to show Chris the ones that can be ...culled. That should help. You all are totally right about this....the ducks are absolutely wonderful in the summer, when they can free range, and are adorable, and don’t eat as much. Now they have been difficult...so, I’m taking my cues from you all...thank you all....I suppose I just needed to hear it from experienced farmers and not my crazy Dad saying that I shouldn’t even have any farm. :lol: so funny. Chris will be glad , once again, that I’m going to chill out...and that I’m not going to make him go out with a giant rope at night...it really is a big pond..thanks you all!! :weee It’s like permission to stop worrying!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have the duck pen near the pond that has some duck houses in it...so they can go in there....it’s very near the barn..like 30 ft away. I am going to eliminate more drakes...first thing as soon as I feel better...I have to show Chris the ones that can be ...culled. That should help. You all are totally right about this....the ducks are absolutely wonderful in the summer, when they can free range, and are adorable, and don’t eat as much. Now they have been difficult...so, I’m taking my cues from you all...thank you all....I suppose I just needed to hear it from experienced farmers and not my crazy Dad saying that I shouldn’t even have any farm. :lol: so funny. Chris will be glad , once again, that I’m going to chill out...and that I’m not going to make him go out with a giant rope at night...it really is a big pond..thanks you all!! :weee It’s like permission to stop worrying!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Elderberry syrup. Antiviral, antifungal, antioxidant, 2nd highest vit C known. Knocks down the flu & cold issues by not letting the virus/bacteria reproduce.

I pick wild here. Dehydrate, make juice, make syrup, freeze whole. Free meds. Gal, we can help you in more ways than you even know. :lol:

Natural has been around thousands of years. Still works. Garlic is another powerhouse. If you don't use it, learn.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Next chapter? The story of Stubs the goose. This was back in June when we only had bunnies and ducks...but was yearning for to grow the farm, and Chris knew it. One day, as he was roofing our rental house..that’s on our property, I found an ad on CL for 4 free ducks and 2 free geese in NY...long-story-short...he was ready to quit for the day anyways...we headed out and picked up these tiny fluff balls. They were babies. The man ordered them from a hatchery and then when he drove up to his summer home in NY, from FL...with these stinky little buggers in the back of his Cadillac Escilade...he found out that his neighbors had now had two big dogs...who would clearly hurt these guys. So, he put the ad up. They are French Toulouse Geese, Saxony ducks and Khaki Campbells. Pairs of each sex...all 6 weeks old. Adorable. The next day Chris had to go to a Ohio for a swap meet...I planned to spend the whole day by th3 pond, watching the new guys carefully, so none of the others were aggressive. At that time I only had about 15 other ducks and they were about 15 weeks old. But, integrating is tricky. Every was going great. No duck problems. The new little ones were afraid of the ducks, but that’s normal. I showed the babies, as I call them, the pond and they fell in love. I sat outside for two hours with them. Never left. I had to go in to eat and pick blueberries...I figurEd would be ok.....I ate, came back on the golf cart, then went back to pick blueberries...then came back. My one goose was in the pond, actin* funny...and the babies were on the bank...acting very funny. It was terrible...he was kind of going* in a circle. When I picked this tiny goose up...his leg from the knee down was shredded....just dangling...I could see the tendons....there was no way a duck did this to him. I called Chris in a panic....trying to explain, and demanding that he get home that instant. Really?! I’m such a jerk...he was like two hours away with three other guys. Anyways, he calmed me down...said he’d be home soon, that he was a ton his way home, but, no...I could not take him to the vet...be realistic. So, I wrapped him up...and waited. When Chris got home..we talked about it. it was bad. The foo5 was dangling at the long strand of the tendon ....I didn’t want to put him down...I wanted to give him a chance. So, Chris and I set up a little operation table...which we have since used a thousand times....and he cut off his leg at the knee jo8nt, so he would have the stub. We then used special ointment and wrapped it. It was a rough first day. The next day Chris made him A Cart to lay in so he wasn’t on the ground. We hoped that he could use his good leg to push himself around. the first few days were rough for him...but then he rallied...we named him Stubs. He could get around pretty good. He did like the cart and would just hop on the good leg. It was amazing how well he could keep up. I did have to move him around a lot, because he would tire easy. I had to feed him separately beca the others would come eat his feed. He couldn’t graze as much as geese are supposed to...and didn’t like the crumbles , and would get upset at me. But he was wonderful and sweet and we loved the little guy. He would just bawl when he couldn’t keep up with the others as time went on. So I started reading on the internet about ways to keep geese with other animals for company. Turns out geese like rabbits!! I was keeping rabbits in my tractors during the summer so it was perfect.....I put Stubs in with about 4 bunnies and they really liked each other. I had to still be careful about the feed issue...sometimes the rabbits got his feed...but...i Just had to take him out for feeding, and so on. Stubs loved the pond...and it was ok to put him in, because he could go fine around a bit...more in circles a bit...but then he’d make his way to the edge and I’d get him. But, I couldn’t put him in with the ducks...or the other goose...Honky. Honky couldn’t have cared less about Stubs. Broke our hearts. The ducks would hurt Stubs at this point so he could never be left alone in the pond or anywhere. It was getting very sad...and a Chris and I knew, things were going downhill. I tried to do PT on his good leg, but his body got heavy...he was still very small for a goose...but he just couldn’t pick himself up anymore. The stump was healed great...it was never an issue...it hardened and made a thick knob type thing. I tried so hard to be diligent about keep him moved so he didn’t get a bed sore, or worse. But, damp summer conditions, and just...life happening...and poor Stubs got worse. He was crying a lot one day..and we found...maggots...bad. We poured salt...we tried to drown them...we did a lot of things... there was probably something else we could’ve tried?? But, the little guy was in a lot of pain, and, well, his quality of life had gone downhill. This story doesn’t end badly...Stubs was the best little goose...he..which actually turned out to be a she...as we now know..:lol: She gave us 4great months with a super loving little goose that made our day...we held her like a football..becathats how she like it. She nibbled at my go,d cross. She loved the little white bunny best. She brought the soft side out of Chris constantly, and it was so funny to see this gruff guy carrying this tiny goose like a baby all the time. So, even though we only had her for a short time, I’d do it all again in a heartbeat!
So, don’t feel at all sad after reading this story...:)
So...if you’re wondering what took a Stubs’ leg..I’ll bet you saw the pictures. Yep..snapping turtle. We didn’t know we had them...welllee thought maybe.. we had been catching minnows with a minnow trap fo4 the ducks. They lived it. Chris kept tellin* me to stop Becca it would mess up the pond. I had no clue what he was talking about. Apparently I took the turtles food so they chose to eat my goose’s leg. Boy, talk about guilt!! We saw on the internet how to trap them...it didn’t take too long, about two weeks. We got four giant turtles out. We’re sure there are more..but they left the ducks alone now. We did a lot of research and talking to Duck people. Ducks know when a pond isn’t safe, apparently. After the goose got hurt..no one would get in for the longest time. I had to buy all these baby pools. Drove Chris crazy, and I just wanted them to enjoy swimming again. I have this one Muscovy hen who’s a real frog hunter...she just trolls that pond all the time for frogs and she really missed her frogs...so, one day she went in. After see her in for a few days, slowly the rest followed. We’ll have to trap the turtles again in early spring after they come out from being dormant over the winter. People have told us to dig them all out...but, apparently I guess, even if you dig, they make it bake..Chris made our pond custom shaped and dug it out. People said, dig it out and fence one half off...but that would cost a tonnn of money. I think we’ll stick with just trapping them. Chris had a blast with it. But, man they are scarey buggers...fast!! Not sure if you guys have snappers..but...be careful!! :lol: they move faster than you’d think
A39D38E2-B1E9-48A9-87CA-3E3D691F3D0F.jpeg
DFA76929-33BE-48B5-9DFE-BF014082DD3F.jpeg
A49DE008-81A7-43EB-AEBA-A773E97CF780.jpeg
7F15BCD2-A030-42F1-AF3D-6B7E9476A230.jpeg
933B4F94-8E7E-45BD-96FE-CB348F1D21B4.jpeg
10DA2BDB-A395-4E6D-A194-DFA412ECD737.jpeg
3031D5BD-23AF-420E-A5E8-8331B770D46B.jpeg