C&D Farming..oh what a life!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
My ex father in law (RIP) said his mother mixed sugar and kerosene for coughs. He said it must have worked because they didn’t cough again, or if they really had to, they ran out behind the barn.
Holy smokes...I never heard of using kerosene for any of these things. I went straight out to the coop..got rid of the straw and hay...layered the wood chips we got from the guys that were cutting trees on our road...but..in the country...you can’t just get wood chips for free like they tell you to do on BYC...they go to their local tree trimmers and just ask for them...around here...those things are paid for...but, we we’re lucky that time because the guys were friends and, on our edge of property. Anyways..used those chips and the shavings from when we plained our wood to build our goat barn...we have a good amount of those left...luckily. Pretty sure any painting will have to wait for warmer weather..we got about 5” of more snow today...ugh. But..I talked to Chris...he said..thumbs up! Thanks ladies..once again!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
The new goats are adjusting to their new home pretty well. We also put large dog crates in the pen for them...they were cute and all managed to fit in one! It was like a clown car! They really eat a lot!! I guess I’m just used to three goats, when we had the buck. Now we’re up to 13 goats. I love it. Today we picked out our font for the lettering to go on the vehicles...we actually have have a machine that cuts it out...and we have the vinyl car wrap stuff because my hubby has used it to wrap an entire milk truck...solid black on the bottom half...to look like the 1963 model....it’s very cool.
The new mini pigs are not loving their new home as much. I’m trying to make friends, but I think they jus5 weren’t handled much, so it might take awhile. Plus, there are three, so, they stick together. But, I’m not giving up.
The goat kids...goat babies as we like to call them..are doing great! Spunky little buggers! Busty is starving though! I have tons of grain...hay...I gave her a banana, apple, head of lettice...she ate a piece of paper...I gave her sweet feed...I gave her some molasses..so I gave her alfa pellets...she was happy...for a minute...she just acts like she hasn’t eaten in years. I get it..but, I don’t know what else to give her. Her grain is never empty...her hay was low, but not gone. Stormy is doing great. She’s a very good mom..very attentive. Her little one try to jump on her and she just lets them..it’s so cute. I’m curious to see the dynamic tomorrow when we let the girls and kids out of the kidd8ng stalls? Although...Busty’s little ones have been sneaking out...stinkers. :)

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I “win over” pigs with fig newtons! (Aldi’s brand is CHEAP). They gave a strong smell that gets the piggie’s attention (better than, say, animal crackers). They’ll be nibbling them out of your hand in no time! (Especially once the first one figures it out - the others won’t want to miss out!). My girls LOVE their Pig Newtons. :)

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I “win over” pigs with fig newtons! (Aldi’s brand is CHEAP). They gave a strong smell that gets the piggie’s attention (better than, say, animal crackers). They’ll be nibbling them out of your hand in no time! (Especially once the first one figures it out - the others won’t want to miss out!). My girls LOVE their Pig Newtons. :)
Great tip...we love aldis

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we have feeder pigs, I buy Aldi's eggs and milk for the pigs. They love them some boiled eggs! And I use the Aldi's milk in their soured corn to give them more nutrients and make the corn taste better to them, it sure stinks to me!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we have feeder pigs, I buy Aldi's eggs and milk for the pigs. They love them some boiled eggs! And I use the Aldi's milk in their soured corn to give them more nutrients and make the corn taste better to them, it sure stinks to me!
Hmmm..we have tons of eggs...I could use the pullet eggs!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nicer day today...46*. Woke up and rannnn to the barn! Man, I just can’t wait to see those little guys! I was out early due to a dentist appt, so they weren’t awake, bummer. When they finally did wake up, those goat babies did not disappoint! They are getting bouncier every day! Before they were born, a friend showed us a video of goat kids in pajamas...jumping everywhere. There were like 30. It was too cute. I just might have to buy 5 pairs at my next trip to the store! :) We told the story of their kidding, how they delivered on the same day, right after each other...and that we only excepted three, at our weekly Sunday dinner. Our friends teased that we’re going to have to take out college loans...:lol: I’m starting to barter with Chris about keeping them all...we call sell the ducks if I can keep them all...this coming from the duck farmer herself. :). I realize we can’t keep them allllll, but it’s fun to dream.
it’s a very nice day so Chris is finishing the last leg on the chicken coop. I think I ruined the surprise because when I went out and saw, he got grumpy. When he started the rebuild it was a Christmas surprise. Oops. It will be soooo nice when we go out to finish dusting the chickens for lice, and I don’t have to bend over in the last corner...where you know they all went in the end!! :lol:
The new goats are doing well. I told Chris that I was going to buy a cooler for the one month kid to start training it now, and he naturally agreed. I thought he was going to think I was nuts. I think we both have been sucked into the farm life to high heaven!! :)

Our feeder pig, Slim Jim...is getting really..BIG! He’s easily 150-160lbs by now. He’s still pretty sweet...but, we don’t let him get away from us...or, turn our back to him. Heck, I don’t don’t even turn my back on my new mini pigs and they are about 20 lbs! :lol: We wish they were friendlier. Unfortunately, they were not handled...and, since there are three...I think it’s going to be quite a challenge. They stick together. I’m definitely getting the fig newtons when we get to Aldis...but, that’s an hour away....so...I’ll get soooome now, just not very many until then.
We have these new hens. 3. Someone is an egg eater...bad! I put the rocks in...they’ll have to do for now. They worked with my other egg eaters. Anyways. We would still get only one egg and a total mess. So, now I’ve separated each hen. So, we’ll see. Each one has a nest box, they are in the rabbit hutches....they are noisy because they are not used to being alone, but, oh well. Chris wants to eat them. :( We got them from the lady who fibbed to us about our buck goat. BUT...in her defense...he did his job. She just could have said that he was rough to handle. Oh well. So, my theory is, that we’ll come out, and one will have made a mess. Then we’ll know. He said he has no more time for egg eaters. Ugh. We’ve dealt with it before...it’s been fine. It’s not that at all...it’s because of Ruth...man is he stubborn! Anyways....That way, hopefully we’ll know, and the other two will get a ‘get out of jail free card‘. ..:lol:

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I tried the dog collar and leash on my new baby goat that is one month old...she’s one that we bought on Thursday of last week. Last night I put the collar on and left it. Today we used the leash just a bit. Today was just to let her, um, get a feel for it. She was good, then would jump straight up a few times...never getting hurt. I wasn’t walking her..just letting her get a feel for having be on a leash. After she would settle, then she would take a few steps and I would follow. I’m going to let her lead, or think she is for the first few tries. I’ve trained many dogs..and, I trained my dog now, to be my service dog...because he knows when I’m going to have seizures, so I had to train him perfectly for public. Luckily he’s now retired!! Anyways, I’m going to use a bit of what I used then with her...

The new new goats never had animal crackers before. I took some with me to give her a little as a reward. She couldn’t figure them out...but they...once they tried them...yumm! They decided I’m not so bad after all! The brown ND momma with white kid...one month are really sweet. They are not shy and have nice manners. The white weather is really nice too, now that he’s been eating from my hands the past few days. We will. most likely sell him, because if we were going to keep a wether, it would be one of ours. Actually, Chris and I are thinking we might sell four of the new goats and keep all of our kids, plus the new mom and new kid. That would leave us with 9. But two would be males...of one sort. Our other option was to sell two new goats and sell 2-3 kids. But it would leave no males...but they would all be extremely friendly to us. That’s a bigger plus in my book.
0C1855FD-60FE-437D-AEE9-63DC888C6C08.jpeg
D997B6FA-77EA-4988-9990-DD88E32590BA.jpeg
6AC64923-9A57-4F16-9A9A-94703BDD0A5D.jpeg
E708188A-4C5D-4678-8180-9560F7184718.jpeg
C5CACB6F-6773-4FCC-95C6-9C6C75CB5A4C.jpeg
These are the new goats, except the grey one is missing...plus, it’s not a very good picture of the momma and baby....more to come. :)

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Things are going well here, no complaints...how could we complain when have alll this good fortune? A year ago I was in PT for my ankle and we we’re busy with rabbits. The new goats are doing great! They have come such a long way in a week! They were completely crazy at there old farm and the neighbors called the cops because they were always on their porch...pooping. The farm they came from didn’t have a fence. It was a small lot. Anyways, when we brought them home they hated being penned up, and were scared of us. Now they come up to me very fast—-for food, but I’ll take it! Twice goats have gotten out...three just this morning. I just, didn’t panic, rattled the food tub, and they came back! I will try not to be so dumb...but, they are not as afraid as they were, and I’m very glad.

we got about 3/4” of ice last night, so farm work was tough this morning. It made it basically impossible for to get into the new min8 pigs’ pen. So, I had to lift new bowls over for food and water, and for a second it looked like they were sad that I wasn’t coming in?? We bought the fig newtons last night but it was too dark to give them to them then. Hopefully tomorrow when the ice is covered by regular snow. Last night we took two chickens, that were in quarentpine, and put them in the coop. It was great to see them today, happily along with the rest. There are still three new chickens. I know which one is the egg eater. I don’t know her fate. I suppose the other two could be put in the coop, but Chris wants to still watch how they lay...the one is great...the other, not bad. Yesterday I collected 24 eggs out of 38 chickens...but the majority of them are young. We only got a few small eggs. The girls are doing great! Today we delivered a bunch of eggs to friends for fun...that’s so fun to just do something nice! :). To think...a year ago, I was doing laps around a little room with my boot cast. Just think...two years ago, my heath was...well...really bad, and I was having too many seizures to think about every day. It makes me sooo happy when I look around our farm, what we’ve created in a year...what we’ve learned, what we have to learn...and how much joy it’s brought...it just makes me feel sooo Blessed. Thanks for reading!