C&D Farming..oh what a life!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You did good!!

Now, about the girls You asked about the goats & kidding.

Normally they bag over 1 to 4 weeks, last week or two really fills. Maidens generally are slower and take longer...after all, they aren't just refilling but, actually developing more of the mammary glands. Once fairly full, you watch for the vulva to swell and elongate slightly. There are ligaments at their tail, ether side of backbone, which relax real close to kidding. If the bag is tight, check the teats, they point rather than hang.

There will normally be a clearish discharge from the vulva when they are going into labor. It will be a gelatinous string. Sometimes some pink from blood....not blood running like a cut! That's string is most often within an hr or so of the birthing.

They often separate themselves for a day or two before, esp several hours before, from their usual hangout with buddies. They will paw, look at their stomach, get up & down, etc., when in early labor -- discomfort. Then, down & push. Twins are normal but often a maiden will birth a single. I've also had them triple. LOL @frustratedearthmother has been doing this with smaller ones for years (AND YEARS :lol: --like ME:old) We could never tell you all because we just can't pull it out like that. But, give a happening and the answer will come. Instinctively watch for THE difference in the daily animal routine & demeanor.

Remember -- don't panic, just take a good pic & come on line -- Start a thread so it can be followed & updated.....we pretty much have several each birthing season. Most births go off without complications.

Your FF (first freshener) may do some or all. They haven't always read the instruction book. LOL. Quite often they will have synchronized their cycle naturally, gotten bred close in time, so it would not be unusual for them to kid close in time.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
You did good!!

Now, about the girls You asked about the goats & kidding.

Normally they bag over 1 to 4 weeks, last week or two really fills. Maidens generally are slower and take longer...after all, they aren't just refilling but, actually developing more of the mammary glands. Once fairly full, you watch for the vulva to swell and elongate slightly. There are ligaments at their tail, ether side of backbone, which relax real close to kidding. If the bag is tight, check the teats, they point rather than hang.

There will normally be a clearish discharge from the vulva when they are going into labor. It will be a gelatinous string. Sometimes some pink from blood....not blood running like a cut! That's string is most often within an hr or so of the birthing.

They often separate themselves for a day or two before, esp several hours before, from their usual hangout with buddies. They will paw, look at their stomach, get up & down, etc., when in early labor -- discomfort. Then, down & push. Twins are normal but often a maiden will birth a single. I've also had them triple. LOL @frustratedearthmother has been doing this with smaller ones for years (AND YEARS :lol: --like ME:old) We could never tell you all because we just can't pull it out like that. But, give a happening and the answer will come. Instinctively watch for THE difference in the daily animal routine & demeanor.

Remember -- don't panic, just take a good pic & come on line -- Start a thread so it can be followed & updated.....we pretty much have several each birthing season. Most births go off without complications.

Your FF (first freshener) may do some or all. They haven't always read the instruction book. LOL. Quite often they will have synchronized their cycle naturally, gotten bred close in time, so it would not be unusual for them to kid close in time.
My girl Busty took a hard fall today. She’s always trying to go in m6 grain room...done it a million times and I’ve shooed her a million times. Today there was a box of bacon top of some hay..I shooed her...not touching her..just said..outttt..and she backed up and fell over where we have the rack for my tools. Now I’m all worried....she hit her left side pretty hard. She walked it off and went out to graze in our ,mudpit. But..is there something I should look for now? I did tell my hubby, but after last week with going out to the barn in the night...I’m trying to lay low. I also have the stom flu really 6 bad so he did my evening chores...first time I’ve ever missed them....ugh

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
So the ducks are giving me a really hard time as of late. The ducks were my first loves...after my dogs, of course. Now, the drakes have been simply horrible. We had to thin them out. That was very rough on me because these were my pets. I was the silly girl who thought I could take 3veryones animals and bring them to La La land and everyone would live in harmony...no death ever. I really thought this. Really. While the ducks were free ranging and young, there were no issues. The drakes didn’t fight and I jus5 couldn’t understand what everyone was cautioning me about. Then winter hit and we had to move into the barn...smaller quarters...not nice days...and hormones started to quick in. At one point I think I had 28 drakes and 23 hens. Plus a drake goose...who, really didn’t know his size until recently. The ducks never did lay eggs..and I was fine with that...I didn’t care anymore about eggs..these were pets. But then Little Lou got his leg broken...which is a story for another day..but he’s my runt..and when that happenEd...I had enough! Everyone had been getting locked up into drake cages in the barn. My hands are so scared from grabbing Muscovies on the. fly. Those claws. It was tim3 for some soul searching and w3 decided aroun$ thanksgiving, to start culling th3 drakes. Problem was, I had sooo many. Chris was sick o& duck! We cooked it soo many ways, took them places, etc. and then we had a heat snap two weeks ago. The ducks went into revolt. They refused to come in th3 barn at all. They stayed in th3 pond all night. I did everything...j7mping jacks, upside down, on a po go stick, with crumbles, yelling...duckkkkkkkks!! I would stay for hours out there. They wouldn5 leave the pond. I wouldn’t even try to bring them in until 8-9 pm since I knew it wasn’t happening earlier. No luck. Then it got cold again an$ lif3 resumed a bit. But, one of my Muscovy hens that I raised from @ chick was gone. She was a great flier...I have no clue what happened. Then the drakes started being bad, so we took 7 to auction. By now we’re down to about 7-8 drakes...I’d like to keep three. Plus, Little Lou, but he’s crippled now, so he’s not really in the figuring. It got warm again three days ago and the pond melted. Th3 first day they didn’t notice. By now th3 ducks are laying eggs and it’s really nice...a bonus, but nice. I’d rather find th3 eggs than hav3 them out in the pond.... So, two nights ago I couldn’t get th3 ducks in. Plus, there’s a sweet Muscovy, Sami, that is just terrified of the barn now. I kept her in th3 grain room on3 night, but I can’t hav3 her poopin* iit up. We have roosts for her...they like to roost, th3 drakes are lazy. But it’s hard to get her in...:(. Today we thought of moving their pen around the barn...but then they’d be stuck in a mud pit all day....with no pond access. I didn’t ge5 ducks to keep them locked up. A lady on th3 chicken forum Suggested we hold a rope on both ends of the pond and pull towards the barn to guide them in. Couple issues....the pond is very big, and we don’t one at this point that long.....it’s an S shaped pond, so it would$ b3 tricky. Plus.. I’m the one who does th3 chores...that’s our deal...Chris builds I do the hands on work. He did it all tonigh5 because I have the stomach flu...but he couldn’t ge5 the ducks in. Does anyone have any ideas? Rattling food doesn’t work. They just love the pond too much they are no longer food motivated. If I try to keep them locked inside..i5 will be hard because I throw my muck hay through the duck door into a wheelbarrow. I’m not being negative...that’s totally not me...I’m just tellin* you more to give you all a better idea of what I’m up against. I think, I hate to say it, bu5 I think it will b3 better when more drakes are dealt with..but that doesn’t happen fast..even I& I were to process 5 in a day...the girls would still b3 wary fo4 a few...so, any tips would be great...they don’t have to be good tips...:lol: I’m just brainstorming here...thanks everyone!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
W
So the ducks are giving me a really hard time as of late. The ducks were my first loves...after my dogs, of course. Now, the drakes have been simply horrible. We had to thin them out. That was very rough on me because these were my pets. I was the silly girl who thought I could take 3veryones animals and bring them to La La land and everyone would live in harmony...no death ever. I really thought this. Really. While the ducks were free ranging and young, there were no issues. The drakes didn’t fight and I jus5 couldn’t understand what everyone was cautioning me about. Then winter hit and we had to move into the barn...smaller quarters...not nice days...and hormones started to quick in. At one point I think I had 28 drakes and 23 hens. Plus a drake goose...who, really didn’t know his size until recently. The ducks never did lay eggs..and I was fine with that...I didn’t care anymore about eggs..these were pets. But then Little Lou got his leg broken...which is a story for another day..but he’s my runt..and when that happenEd...I had enough! Everyone had been getting locked up into drake cages in the barn. My hands are so scared from grabbing Muscovies on the. fly. Those claws. It was tim3 for some soul searching and w3 decided aroun$ thanksgiving, to start culling th3 drakes. Problem was, I had sooo many. Chris was sick o& duck! We cooked it soo many ways, took them places, etc. and then we had a heat snap two weeks ago. The ducks went into revolt. They refused to come in th3 barn at all. They stayed in th3 pond all night. I did everything...j7mping jacks, upside down, on a po go stick, with crumbles, yelling...duckkkkkkkks!! I would stay for hours out there. They wouldn5 leave the pond. I wouldn’t even try to bring them in until 8-9 pm since I knew it wasn’t happening earlier. No luck. Then it got cold again an$ lif3 resumed a bit. But, one of my Muscovy hens that I raised from @ chick was gone. She was a great flier...I have no clue what happened. Then the drakes started being bad, so we took 7 to auction. By now we’re down to about 7-8 drakes...I’d like to keep three. Plus, Little Lou, but he’s crippled now, so he’s not really in the figuring. It got warm again three days ago and the pond melted. Th3 first day they didn’t notice. By now th3 ducks are laying eggs and it’s really nice...a bonus, but nice. I’d rather find th3 eggs than hav3 them out in the pond.... So, two nights ago I couldn’t get th3 ducks in. Plus, there’s a sweet Muscovy, Sami, that is just terrified of the barn now. I kept her in th3 grain room on3 night, but I can’t hav3 her poopin* iit up. We have roosts for her...they like to roost, th3 drakes are lazy. But it’s hard to get her in...:(. Today we thought of moving their pen around the barn...but then they’d be stuck in a mud pit all day....with no pond access. I didn’t ge5 ducks to keep them locked up. A lady on th3 chicken forum Suggested we hold a rope on both ends of the pond and pull towards the barn to guide them in. Couple issues....the pond is very big, and we don’t one at this point that long.....it’s an S shaped pond, so it would$ b3 tricky. Plus.. I’m the one who does th3 chores...that’s our deal...Chris builds I do the hands on work. He did it all tonigh5 because I have the stomach flu...but he couldn’t ge5 the ducks in. Does anyone have any ideas? Rattling food doesn’t work. They just love the pond too much they are no longer food motivated. If I try to keep them locked inside..i5 will be hard because I throw my muck hay through the duck door into a wheelbarrow. I’m not being negative...that’s totally not me...I’m just tellin* you more to give you all a better idea of what I’m up against. I think, I hate to say it, bu5 I think it will b3 better when more drakes are dealt with..but that doesn’t happen fast..even I& I were to process 5 in a day...the girls would still b3 wary fo4 a few...so, any tips would be great...they don’t have to be good tips...:lol: I’m just brainstorming here...thanks everyone!
Whats wrong with the being in the pond ? They are not dummies, they will come out when they are ready to,.and if you happened to loose a drake in the process well. That's nature.
What is your goal .? Pets,...sales...future freezer food ?
We help our farm animals when they are in trouble, as in sick.....I don't run around checking everyone's temperature weekly, I provide them with fresh clean water, feed and a clean environment, watch for problems and I let them live their comfortable life here.
Please take this the right way, not as a criticism, ...you are learning farm and livestock life, rabbits have had kits for years, goats have been born without human intervention and on and on....we had a FF nigerian dwarf deliver quads during the night and were all surprised in the morning.... yes it's nice to be there to assist IF they need assistance. You are at the point of worrying about all your animals and that will either drive you and Chris crazy or make you sick with worry.....relax, enjoythem and set your priorities for you and your farm and what you want to gain from the experience , sure hope you feel better soon with your stomach virus :hugs :frow

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You know what I like about you? You face reality head on. You started with your head in the clouds, all rainbows and little white ponies. You thought you could have a Disney movie farm where all the animals love each other, abandon their own natural behaviors and gather around the camp fire holding paws and singing Kum-bah-ya.

Then here came reality. When reality slapped you upside the head, you didn't wring your hands whining and wondering what was WRONG with all your sweet little animals. No, you didn't. Despite you saying that you lack confidence, I don't believe that. You are a strong lady, you have more in you than you realize.

You started educating yourself. You are still educating yourself. You come here and ask, you think out loud, you ask again. And you learn.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
You know what I like about you? You face reality head on. You started with your head in the clouds, all rainbows and little white ponies. You thought you could have a Disney movie farm where all the animals love each other, abandon their own natural behaviors and gather around the camp fire holding paws and singing Kum-bah-ya.

Then here came reality. When reality slapped you upside the head, you didn't wring your hands whining and wondering what was WRONG with all your sweet little animals. No, you didn't. Despite you saying that you lack confidence, I don't believe that. You are a strong lady, you have more in you than you realize.

You started educating yourself. You are still educating yourself. You come here and ask, you think out loud, you ask again. And you learn.
:clap:weee:weee:bunny:bunny:highfive: go for it duck farmer! You Can do this

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Put a shelter near the pond. Relax. Eliminate some drakes. Predators? Deal as they come.

You have dogs? They can have duck for dinner....harvest, freeze/can and use excess for them. Wild Harvest charges a lot fir their duck & rice feeds. Cut your feed bill.

I know, I know....pets but---you can keep more females!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with @Mini Horses, ....
we are up to 27 rabbits (with one pregnant now), as soon as all are a decent size all but four will become dehydrated dog chews, dod food for the freezer , ears will be dried and given as treats to the dogs...will keep a few for our dinner..
It's a healthier protein source for my dogs than dog food alone, and will help cut the feed cost for the dogs.....it's a win win on our end....and the rabbits are raised for sale and food.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:hugs
Maybe an add in CL? Free ducks. No rehoming fee. Sure they might get eaten....but it sounds like what you're starting to do anyhow.

Latest posts