C&D Farming..oh what a life!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
We sold Honky the French Toulouse goose today. It was a good thing. We only asked for a bit of money so he went to someone that wasn’t going to eat him. She has a farm with three female geese. Honky will be in heaven!! I set the money aside for our next animal adventure....:)

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, the chickens..when we got them from the bad farmer, we had 8chivks in the brooder. So we thought we had plenty of time to buil a coop. But then came the chickens. So we worked fast! So..they didn’t really get a coop at first...but had a beautiful run. Then we realized our mistake and and made it into a coop...only 4’ high....it was awful for cleaning!! Chickens didn’t seem to care, they had roost bars, an outside nesting box...then we added onto that coop a large play area, as we called it...because it was always changing shapes, bed make more fence panels...we called it the play yard. But we new we need to renovate the coop. We planned for spring when the weather got nice. On Christmas eve..I was busy inside with my son, Ben, ann Chris build one 1/2 of the coop!! Ben helped him push it up the small him. It was a sheet of ice, they were sliding backwards, I was just holding them in place...it was sooo funny. Once we got it...it was so nice...I got a huge door. The chickens loved it! He attached the long coop we made when we had to quarentine chickens..this way is someone needs special care...there you go! He got more warm weather last week and kept working out it. I got a second door now, for shoveling the poop right out the back! So nice! The girls just love it..we now have 35 chickens, 22 are pullets, but they have started to lay. Yesterday we got 20 eggs! We are very excited about these birds, because they put themse to bed...Chris just loves that...he thinks they are pretty easy. They are friendly too...and some let me hold them...this one loves to perch on my arm, she always has...Miss Lydia. 242301CA-1C3A-4ECA-AD1A-554606807F8A.jpeg3AEBD21D-5764-4886-BB97-DC739A46FD49.jpeg6C945727-72BC-4B5A-B8DD-B59DB2AE71B8.jpeg859738E5-1438-4EC3-B1D2-911EC0AFD09C.jpeg3C7B2BCA-3690-4B1C-BDBC-E7CD0CD767E5.jpeg29AC0ACF-2C72-4339-81AB-A8C3E7871EDD.jpeg57D02400-5502-4C27-989F-DF127271A0B4.jpeg

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Busy week for C & D....the goats have/had lice...as do/did the chickens!! Ugh! A lot of work!! But sooo worth if it’s going to make just one of my little guys feel 1% better! Our egg counts everyday have skyrocketed with the pull and the ducks! Problem is...the duck eggs aren’t moving...no buyers so far. The chicken eggs are sell, so that’s good! I’m hoping one of my BO goes broody...I’d just love som3 chicks!! If not I think we plan to buy some. I know we’re going to let my Muscovy finally set on some eggs after the kids come and things settle down..those ducks ar3 sooo funny. I put the eggs in the basket...the6 go over and tip it...trying to roll the eggs back out!! They do not want me to take those eggs!! We had to butcher a drake today...too much fighting. But, ducklings would be good for the farm..plus, I could sell some for Easter? The chicken coop renovation is almost done...we got 3/4 done when the weather got cold again...so, it’s not all 12’ high ...yet. But, I’ve got two doors now and I’m sooo thrilled! I can now shovel the poop right out the back into the wheelbarrow...no extra work! Work smarter..,not harder! There are so many roosts for the hens..and there is a 5’ x3’ little addition on the side..this way, I can keep any sick hens, or broody, or whatever? We are now letting all the hens free range...the original hens, were not allowed because they were not nice to the ducks. At this point 5he ducks dont go over to that part..by the house, due to the weather..so, we’ll just have to see what happens...I think they’ll all be fine.

we are looking for more farm equipment...I suppose that’s nothing new. We are also still looking for those elusive pot belly pigs. We had a chance at some more mini pigs...but turned that down again...so, we’re still heading for more of my beloved pots. Our Hampshire pig, Slim Jim..is not so Slim anymore...he’s about 150lbs now...and spunky. We try not to think about his real purpose.

This coming week will be just as busy, if not more...we have to build our little insulator boxes for goat kids...Chris can knock those out in a jiffy, but nice weather makes it easier. We like to put materials on the one outside car lift. The other one, of course, has a classic Chevy on it...:).
ok, that’s all for today..good night and thanks for reading..:)

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, today, instead of building the boxes for the goat kids we went on a little road trip to buy more lumber and grocery’s. We go to this great grocery store that gets bulk items for cheap, and we can get great deals. You never know wg you’re going to get...like, I was able to get a 16 oz jar of molasses for $1! I got 4. Random stuff like that. We don’t buy the meat, but, today we bought some ice cream for $1..since it was going to be in the way back of the dump truck. You can get a full cart of grocery’s...full cart for $45! That’s good in our book. Then, Chris knows all these lumber yards, etc...made the rounds..even got 15 , 5 gal buckets for free! We use those things like crazy! Came home to 17 chickens eggs, 4 duck eggs...Busty feeling better...things are turning up today! Ok, good night...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, the chickens..when we got them from the bad farmer, we had 8chivks in the brooder. So we thought we had plenty of time to buil a coop. But then came the chickens. So we worked fast! So..they didn’t really get a coop at first...but had a beautiful run. Then we realized our mistake and and made it into a coop...only 4’ high....it was awful for cleaning!! Chickens didn’t seem to care, they had roost bars, an outside nesting box...then we added onto that coop a large play area, as we called it...because it was always changing shapes, bed make more fence panels...we called it the play yard. But we new we need to renovate the coop. We planned for spring when the weather got nice. On Christmas eve..I was busy inside with my son, Ben, ann Chris build one 1/2 of the coop!! Ben helped him push it up the small him. It was a sheet of ice, they were sliding backwards, I was just holding them in place...it was sooo funny. Once we got it...it was so nice...I got a huge door. The chickens loved it! He attached the long coop we made when we had to quarentine chickens..this way is someone needs special care...there you go! He got more warm weather last week and kept working out it. I got a second door now, for shoveling the poop right out the back! So nice! The girls just love it..we now have 35 chickens, 22 are pullets, but they have started to lay. Yesterday we got 20 eggs! We are very excited about these birds, because they put themse to bed...Chris just loves that...he thinks they are pretty easy. They are friendly too...and some let me hold them...this one loves to perch on my arm, she always has...Miss Lydia.View attachment 69023View attachment 69024View attachment 69025View attachment 69026View attachment 69027View attachment 69028View attachment 69029
The rooster in the picture looks like a New Hampshire. They are one of my preferred breeds for an all purpose farm breed. My Black Langshans are very "stately" but are not near as good a layer, nor do they have the "body" that the NH's have for eating.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
C
Hi there...since threads can go on for ever, I’m going to take my time explaining how we became hobby farmers. My husban has farming in his background, but he didn’t enjoy the cruel part. I was raised in the wealthy suburbs south of Pgh and always wanted many animals. Always wanted to do 4h...but apparently they don’t let mutts in the fair. :). I married young and had IVF treatment to conceive my son. I broke my back in four places giving birth, due to an unknown spinal disorde. My ex left me. My parents had retired to NW PA and I needed their help. I was in a wheelchair at that point with a baby. Things gradually got a bit better, but I wore a leg brace for 10 years...let’s back up. I met this wonderful man, Chris...when not even my relatives thought Id ever find love. My back never got better, and other parts of my health got worse. My shi tzu became my service dog for seizures. I had tremors bad, and seizures at least four a day...full blown epilepsy. Other health stuff too. I had an inHome health aide for a couple months so Chris could leave my side a bit. But, then i got on medication and things started to turn around! We were Having a lot of fun in the garden...we sell our produce in our own farm market at the end of our driveway. I always needed a cane, but it was ok. We were out raking apples and I hurt my ankle. Bad. After months of drs..it turned out I tore my perineal tendon. Had surgery. But..it turned out to be a gift from God! You see, I had 7 mths of intense PT...they didn’t only work my ankle, but my whole leg...which was my bad leg from years ago. I became stronger than ever! During my PT, Chris knew my love of animals and, we gradually started up the farm, one type at a time. And now we have rabbits, chickens, roosters, ducks, goose, pot belly pigs, Hampshire pig goats and three wonderful dogs! I gained 20 lbs... I was 105 and a wreck of bones...now I’m strong, I feel better than I have in 25 years...and couldn’t have done any of it without my husband, who knew what I wanted and gave it all to me, and God.

My son, Ben is now 21, a junior at Slippery Rock University. He's majoring in sports medicine and is interning for the football team this second term also as their strength and conditioning coach. He is a fitness fanatic. He has his own website for training. He works out at least 2 1/2 hrs a day plus running several miles. He ran his first marathon in Aug. 4hrs 11 min. He runs an ultra marathon...which is 59 miles near Niagara Falls in February! He’s nuts! he also continues to makes deans list and got a 4.89 last term! I’m very proud!

I taught Sunday school for 16 years and it was a great Blessing in my life to know all those wonderful children. Chris is a retired contractor, Blessed to retire at 40. We own 35 apartment units and an old movie theater that he turned into space for car storage. Vehicles are his passion. He builds them from the frame up...until we started farming...now he just tinkers with them, but once more of my buildings are done, I won’t need his help. I do the farm work, he’s does the building.

As of today we have 13 chickens, 18 pullets, 4 cockerels, 1 rooster. 20 rabbits and 6 baby bunnies that are sooo cute! One bunny pulling fur! 27 ducks...and 14 eggs...two ducks are going broody or about to...they keep running back to check them...I haven’t quite decided if Im going to let them set. But, I’m leaning towards yes. I’m a sucker for ducks. Plus, we’re coming up on the time when people will be buying ducklings, so maybe I’ll sell some? We have 1 goose. Had two. I’ll tell that story soon. We have two adorable pot belly pigs. Portly and Jumbo, and they came by their names honestly! :). They are very clean pigs and smart. I let them free range much or the day when it’s warm and they like to follow me around. I have two goats..one Pygmy mix, Stormy. One Nigerian Dwarf mix, Busty. Chris named them..lol. They are both pregnant and I am wayyyy too nervous. But, admittedly I have reading too much and overthinking everything. But they are very sweet goats and I just love them to bits. I’m both scared and excited for their kidding...Jan 28 and Feb 1. And then 3 dogs..one shi tzu..Muggs , a French Bulldog, Grover and English Bulldog, Ruby. They are qui funny...skittish, fun-loving and fat, all in that order!

We have 35 acres up in Kane, PA...my Dad loves to call it a farmette, just to tease. Our house looks like a giant barn...it was a barn at one point...Chris torn down the barn..kept part of the foundation and built way up around it. So now our house has garage..then barn, then house, with more garages and basement underneath, all in one building. We have a giant S shaped pond that Chris dug out with his backhoe for our last name. I just think that is sooo cool. Oh, almost forgot ano cool thing..we have a full sized..1/4 mile race track! He went to our local race track and got the exact specs....then came home and built it. It has high lines and low lines...meaning steep banks, and flat spots with embankments that, if going fast enough, you could fly over! It’s a blast! The guys have had many races with up to 5 cars at a time. Chris and I just go together. But, dirt track racing is much different than most think, and 45 mph is very fast...took me a long time to get up that fast! Heck.. I don’t go that fast on the real roads! :)

ok, that’s it for today..that’s our background, so maybe some more of what I add will make sense? :lol: per not, but I’ll do my best!
Cool farm you have there. Some people will choose the kind of life you live, and thats one think that will make them happy. enough said.. 😀😀😀

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
The rooster in the picture looks like a New Hampshire. They are one of my preferred breeds for an all purpose farm breed. My Black Langshans are very "stately" but are not near as good a layer, nor do they have the "body" that the NH's have for eating.
Yep...they are nice cockerels so far too! We ate one cockerel...boy was he tastey! :)

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chris just spent 1/2 hour microwaving potatoes and rooster gravy to give to the ducks...hmm. I didn’t have the heart to tell him I don’t think the ducks will eat that. They’ve never eaten potato peels before, and he knows that...maybe bake potatos will be a big hit? :lol: anyways, he got one one the insulatEd boxes done for the goat kids...it’s big. Very nice. I mean, they will definitely be wary with the insulation he choose...:). Now the poor guy has to make another one. Good thing we got all that plywood free yesterday. :). He’s a saint to put up with me...