C&D Farming..oh what a life!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, Chris went to collect some eggs today and our egg eater had done it again..and he had had enough!! So...when I came back from the barn..soup was on! When I was walking back, he said Ruby, our bulldo, had an incident with an egg. There, on top of her head was egg yolk. Ruby had taken two eggs out of my basket last summer and taken them to nestle in her dog bed...none broke. But, I thought maybe she had worse luck? Chris said no...she just got too close while he was butchering the chicken, and he thought it was so funny he just had to let he4 stay crusty for me to see...:). Silly man.

dropped downed to -1’ today, going to be worse tomorrow with bad windchills. Still snowing too. Hmm.
just found out my son, Ben is coming to visit me tomorrow!! I’m so excited. I haven’t seen him since he went back to college after Christmas. He gets to see my baby got kids. I texted him a video. He said...’they are LITERALLY bouncing off the walls’. :lol: how true! :)

I took my new chubby baby goat and the momma on a walk today. They did very well! We went great for about 8 minutes or so, and then their buddy started bawling, so that got them stressed so we went back. I don’t want any part of our walks to be negative. Then, when I was putting them in the pen, the skittish one, who bolted on us the nigh5 we got them...she got out! I thought she would run for it! But she didn’t...she wondered a bit, but I went it 5he gate, and opened the door...she came back in to be with her buddies. Thank goodness!! We are selling her tomorrow. I think 10 goats is a perfect number for us now. The 3 new ones and our original two with the 5 kids. 4 does, 4 doelings and 2 bucklings that will be weathered. :)

it has been a very busy week for us. I was sick, and since the kids were born, I lost 4 lbs :(. I have a lot of eating to do!!
weve decided to buy some cloth diapers online, since we can’t get them anywhere even close to where we exist. Imagine that.

Still have one duck who won’t go into the barn. She’s been out 4 days. I this she’s sick too. She’s a Muscovy, so she coos, not a quack. Her coo doesn’t sound good. Too high pitched, and she isn’t flying, but she doesn’t look hurt, more raggedy. Wore out. If I could catch her I’d take her into the house/barn....our house has part of the original barn in the middle between the garage. Anyways, I’d put her in there...warmer, and if she is sick, it wouldn’t get anyone else sick. We’ll see. She’s living under our shed now. Lots of feed...the water freezes, but we try to change it often.

ok, thanks for reading! Stay warm and dry!

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
No!! How would this dumb girl hear of a diaper bucket? Ok...now I just have find a place in this rinky dink town that sells ancient diapers....good luck on that one! :lol:

Here you go, delivered to your door.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here you go, delivered to your door.

This perfect..last night i almost ordered diapers, but was too tired, but today we bought a tiny bit of cheese cloth...it won’t last at all. I do think we need a cheese thread! We made farmers cheese...yum! Only had 2 cups of milk from this morning, but that was by hand, and we easily could e gotten more. We ordered a matching..arriving Monday!! What a good cheese to make tomorrow, thats not too hard...but has more flavors.?
I also need the name of the seed catalog you all reccommend. We’re planning on using an acre just for pumpkins this years. Good seeds are $40 a lb! Plus, we aren’t sure if they are top notch. My son was home for a visit...he loved the goat kids too. He loved the hopping and jumping!! :). How can he
2011A9D5-AF73-4730-BB9C-A01C35BEB9EF.jpeg
4519A6BE-1462-4AC5-9289-42BFBBEDDB68.jpeg
DB117335-7CA5-45F4-AB35-2D10563443D3.jpeg
12C22877-4469-4E91-AF32-EB359E1386E5.jpeg
12F1A150-465C-48DB-8B5B-E3715FE22E4B.jpeg
resist!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, this morning was extra chilly...-10* when we got up, so I’m sure it was much colder overnight in the barn. Poor Busty is penned up in tha5 stall with her kids to make sure she’s nursing. Still having issues. i always make sure she has plent6 of nice thick fresh bedding to lay on, but, it always seems to be wet and yucky by morning. This morning she was shivering. I took her temp..it was 101.5*. We were very upset. She’s been limping for a day...but I checked her hooves..nothing. We thought it was udder related...it’s fine..the milk is great. We drink it. Her udder is not hot or red. Anyways, I think she still just has some discharge coming out, which I know is normal...and, she has to lay in it, because the stall isn’t as big as if she had the whole barn to lay down. It’s 5x7 but, with the kids’ box, and hay bucket, it shrinks. So, we gave her nutridrench and got a heat lamp for just her too, besides her kids. By the time I left the barn her shivering stopped and she looked much better. The whole morning she was eating and drink8ng fine. W3 are hoping it was just the weather? Stress, making milk, etc. I’m going to watch her closely..imagine that. I’m sure everything will be fine, I just wanted to vent, document, whatever, so that...if anyone has tips, or info...etc. thanks! PS. Everyone else is doing great! :)