C&D Farming..oh what a life!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
we found a breeder, the only one in the area, who is willing to sell us her boar and 7 females, some are already bred. For one nice sum. It’s a really good deal. It is definitely more than we wanted. As the lady pointed out, we’d make our money back fast....and, we are very familiar with her farm.
And you are sure there is a market for all those little pet piggies you'll be having?

Do you think I need to you a broody breaker, or are we not there yet?
In my experience, you are there if she heads right back into the nest as soon as you remove her. Have you tried taking her out after dark and putting her on the roost when she can't see well enough to go back to the nest box?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce , well...weve been tracking her business, and, actually, yes. .the guy at our feed store, his brother sells them in Harrisburg. He’s always selling out. This lady is moving on to higher priced pigs, that’s why she’s getting rid of these guys. From all the research we’ve done, and we’ve been looking for minis since the Fall, she’s the only breeder in this area. There are many in Pgh, but that’s 3hrs away. She has a big internet following, and was even on our local TV station. She’s going to send all of her followers to us. Right now...it seems, seems, pretty good. We’ve seen pictures of them. But, we have to go see how truly big they are. They are supposed to be the size of a bulldog. That would be great. Pot belly size...probably not a deal. So, we’ll see.

As for the broody hen...hmm, I haven’t put her on the roost. Good idea! She wasn’t in the nesting box when I looked today, but, that doesn’t mean, too much? If she persists, I’ll bring her in, and do the broody breaker pen. I, truthfully, didn’t want to have to deal. With it all...I know, that sounds terrible!! But, I was just hoping she was a persistent layer! :)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she's truly broody she won't leave the nest on her own, at least not in my experience.
When you say "bring her in", you don't mean into the house right? The theory behind the broody buster box is that they have ambient air under them and can't keep it warm. The colder the better. I find it takes quite a bit longer to break mine in the summer than in the spring or fall. My breaker box is 1/2" hardware cloth on allsides, top and bottom and is on a 3' high stand (simple 2x4 table without a top).

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she's truly broody she won't leave the nest on her own, at least not in my experience.
When you say "bring her in", you don't mean into the house right? The theory behind the broody buster box is that they have ambient air under them and can't keep it warm. The colder the better. I find it takes quite a bit longer to break mine in the summer than in the spring or fall. My breaker box is 1/2" hardware cloth on allsides, top and bottom and is on a 3' high stand (simple 2x4 table without a top).
@Bruce Oh, I was going to bring her in to the barn that’s attached to the house. That’s where I bring all my animals that need special care, etc. it’s warmer. But, if the cold helps...then she can stay in the garage, or even just in the coop. Hopefully she’s not broody. ??

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I sure wouldn't bring her somewhere warmer than where she is. If the coop is big enough, no reason to not have the buster cage in there.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
So today before my wonderful, city slicker, fancy pants sister came, we sold some ducks. Now we have only about...8-10? More reasonable number. Not so much work in the winter! Then Chris and I started designing T-shirts on the internet for our farm. He also made a huge cut out for the race car. My brother in law has four race cars. Chris, no longer races, but is his pit crew. He does all the work. So, we’re going to put our logo and a big pig..actually, we’re going to cut it right out of the tin on the race car. Hard to describe if you’re not involved in dirt track racing...but it will look pretty neat. He cut it out of plywood, and now it’s our pattern for signs, etc! So, clearly, we are buying the pigs on Saturday. :). We’re pretty excited. I’m trying to fiddle around with Facebook, to get our own page started. I had quit a FB for awhile...due to hacking. So, I’m rusty. Plus, a business page is different. So, it’s tricky, but I’ll get it there! :). The goat kids are starting to really sneak out of the barn every chance they get. I can’t have the door open for a minute...and, we’ll..I need it open to carry feed, water, hay, etc. We were trying to get the ducks back inside this morning when the people said they wanted to buy some. Geez...my one little girl kept going out...we couldn’t get ducks in, because goats kept going out! Same thing tonight. Had a different dipoor ipopen. Willy got out and went under the steps. Luckily Chris and I got him fast! They are just so curious! :). But, when I sit on my milk stand, helping the triplets nurse, I usually have three goats piled on top of me. It’s pure bliss. They are sooo sweet. The new goats are doing sooo great! Tonight momma got out of the pen, but didn’t go anywhere. I thought I was goin* to have to run and get feed, etc. but I just calmly walked to her, pet her, took her by the cooler, and walked her nicely back up. I think she was just sad because I didn’t have time to take them on a walk today. Tomorrow they’ll get 3, since I normally do 2 walks. :). Ok, goodnight!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today was a nice day, cold, but nice. I didn’t sleep well due to a cold and made the mistake of taking NyQuil. I don’t drink. Never take NyQuil if you aren’t used to those types of things! I was exhausted all day! And, it didn’t help me sleep last night! It just left me exhausted all day...ugh! Not fallin* for that again! I hid it. Tomorrow we head out on our journey to seethe mini pigs! For 3 days Chris has been designing tshirts, buying pig shirts, getting everything ready, but looking into much better quality pens for as soon as the weather breaks. Now, tonight he says...you know we migh5 not get them if they aren’t good lookers. Huh? I mean, I understand, but...we’ve seen lots of pictures, and know sizes, etc. I suppose he’s just trying to warn me, just in case. He’s also given me the weather can’t keep the piglets ‘ talk a million times. I have no desire to keep them. We had a house pig over Christmas...it was too much. We have 3 outside, that’s good, now buying 8 more? That’s plenty!!

i need some good tips on how to make a business Facebook page. I got ours up and started...but it’s basically just a picture or two. I need to understand how it works. How to make it work for me!