C&D Farming..oh what a life!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
1 suggestion...make sure the pig pens are downwind. Animals all have a smell, but pigs really do.
Not a bad suggestion though if we had pigs the only place we could put them that is downwind would be in front of the house. The house is about 45' from the road. The wind comes from every direction except east.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, day 1 of our mini pig adventure! All week we were going back and forth about buying 8 pigs...that’s a lot of pigs, plus the 3 minis we have? So, we were clearly worried that we were getting in over our heads. This morning, right before we needed to leave...Chris found a male...good looker...mini pig..supposed to be 1yr and 15 lbs, that came from the farm we were going to buy all the pigs from. We decided to go look. But we were sooo worried about not buying those pigs from the nice people! Anyways, we get to the house...the pig is very cute, but clearly 45 lbs. He’ll do as a breeder. We checked him thorough to make sure he was intact. Apparently he was. We left with him. I texted the farm and told them what had just happened. She said, that if it was their pig...he was probably neutered!! Ugh! Another person lied to us about a mini pig! So, we asked if we could still come to the farm, and if could she look at him. She said sure! So, another hour later and they are soooo nice! He’s not even 4 mths old. Still has baby teeth. Not fixed but one of his testicles hasn’t dropped yet. Hmmm. We saw all of their very, very, well taken care of pigs. We stood there and talked all about the business for an hour. They were sooo nice. Finally, I laid it out...we only wanted two pregnant ones. They had to think about it. That’s fair. On the way home we drove another hour out of the way to see a tractor. Same type we already own. Just a bit ago, the nice lady called me to say we can come tomorrow to pick up the two pigs we picked out! They both have very big litters and are nice and fat and pregnant! So, that will jump our business! These people are going to obviously now put both buyers names on FB for selling the mini pigs...but we don’t care. We didnt want to be too overwhelmed. And, you don’t make much money off these guys, so, it’s not worth wearing ourselves to the bone! We blew off TS today due to the 9hr road trip, so you know we have to go tomorrow....ugh. Then, Chris will decide to buy the tractor and we’ll be going to get that monster on Monday!! All this traveling and it’s finally nice! At the one place, the guy let us bring our dogs outside. My shi tzu, Muggs, hates outside. Well, there was no snow! He actually rolled around and laid right down in the Pune needles! Chris and I were laughing so hard to see this prissy dog covered in needles for once in his life! Ok, wish us luck for day 2!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to mention...since we thought we were only getting one, 15lb pig today, we took my Mercedes, instead of our work truck to haul animals. Well, this guy was wayyyyy too big for the dog carrier we brought! Ugh. So, he ended up sitting on my lap for half of the trip. When we tried to put him in the back seat , he either tried to climb up front with us...or our French Bulldog would get mad at him because the pig named ‘Shamus’ wanted to spoon. So, the second half of the trip he rode on Chris’ lap. Neither of us could eat because everyone wanted the food and it was too chaotic :lol: Plus, by the time we got home, my nice little car, now smells like a big pig...our last mini had no odor. It must be because he’s a male? He also has bad skin, but the nice farmers told me how to fix it by feeding him coconut. Only WE get into these situations!!:lol:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe @Devonviolet or @babsbag had FB business websites? I don't know that they were doing anything with FB and I don't know if anyone else here is/was actively selling things.
I don’t know anything about doing business on FB. My only experience was trying to sell some goats on an East Texas goat site. What I learned was that FB has given into special interests who are totally opposed to the sale of animals of any sort, especially meat animals, who might be eaten. It was an exercise in futility, as FB actually blocks posts about selling goats. I finally just left the group, as I got no help from administrators.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you were expecting a 15 pound pig, why did you accept a 45 pound pig???
Well, these geys DO grow to the size of a bulldog. That’s a fact. We are prepared for that. I think they fibbed to for any people who would not be prepared. We are fully aware about these breeds and the misconceptions, and the lies we’ve already been told. Not by the Richards Family Farm where we got the two pregnant girls. They are great. But, people lie about these pigs. My job will to make sure they are extremely educated on them, and aware how big they will get, before they leave here. I don’t want people jumping into this and regretting it. But...we might have screwed up already. We got the two pregnant pigs today. They are very sweet pigs. The one is actually on piglet watch right now! When we took our male to show the Richards...they noticed he had a ‘piss pocket’. It’s apparently not a huge deal, but it’s where urine and some sperm can build up. I will have to relive the pressure for him to breed. They retired the boar that had this. Personally, I wish we didn’t get this little guy. But their boar was huge and homely. I’m hoping after i take care regular maintenance of his issues, it won’t interfaith mating.?

Latest posts