C&D Farming..oh what a life!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t know anything about doing business on FB. My only experience was trying to sell some goats on an East Texas goat site. What I learned was that FB has given into special interests who are totally opposed to the sale of animals of any sort, especially meat animals, who might be eaten. It was an exercise in futility, as FB actually blocks posts about selling goats. I finally just left the group, as I got no help from administrators.
That’s what I’m afraid of, but the farm these pigs came from had no problems

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
another big development...I sold all my ducks! The guy didnt want the two drakes but Chris told him to just take them for free. This leaves only Little Lou. He’s the runt duck that I had to syringe feed 4times a day all through December. After he got his leg broke by a bigger drake. The ducks never accepted him back. He’s miserable. One cage to another. Sores on his arms now from using them to walk. I told Chris, whiles the weather is nice, it is time to let Little Lou go. He can burry him now that it’s not frozen. I can’t keep watching him suffer.:( So, this very hard for me since I went through sooo munch just to keep him alive from the minute he got here. there’s nothing more that I can do at thispoine to make him feel better. The feathers are even starting to wear off the bottoms of his arms Ashe tries to hold himself up to walk. I’m very sad, nut I want him to finally be at peace.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
another big development...I sold all my ducks! The guy didnt want the two drakes but Chris told him to just take them for free. This leaves only Little Lou. He’s the runt duck that I had to syringe feed 4times a day all through December. After he got his leg broke by a bigger drake. The ducks never accepted him back. He’s miserable. One cage to another. Sores on his arms now from using them to walk. I told Chris, whiles the weather is nice, it is time to let Little Lou go. He can burry him now that it’s not frozen. I can’t keep watching him suffer.:( So, this very hard for me since I went through sooo munch just to keep him alive from the minute he got here. there’s nothing more that I can do at thispoine to make him feel better. The feathers are even starting to wear off the bottoms of his arms Ashe tries to hold himself up to walk. I’m very sad, nut I want him to finally be at peace.
You are very kind hearted and I know how this hurts you. I admire you for having the strength to do what needs to be done. Keeping him alive to suffer more would be the wrong thing to do. Big hugs.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for support today everyone about my duck, Little Lou. He’s in duck heaven now and I think he’s happier already. I had to clean out the barn from all the duck muck for our new pregnant pigs. I was worried how they would do with me messing around, plus, the rabbit hutches are above their area, so I’ll be in there daily for them. These pigs are sooo laid back! They followed me and ate some oranges...they move pretty slow. :). They are pretty big too. Wayyy bigger than a bulldog, we’ll, at least the one. But, that’s because they are breeders, so they are fed well. A typical pet mini pig should not, if fed properly, and exercised get any bigger than a bulldog. It was weird not having ducks on the farm today. I took my egg basket out to the barn :lol: Sure I will for a few more days. Some of the snow is melting. Chris moved some old pallets to make a better playpen for Slim Jim, and underneath was great grass!! We walked the new goats over to it and they went to town! :). They love to be walked! And, we can let the leashes down now and they don’t go anywhere. They are coming along really nicely. Chris asked, ‘so, are pigs your thing now?’ I said..’no way! It’s always going to be goats...I just never thought I could HAVE goats!‘. Then he asked why we just bought so many pigs? :lol: Yes, I do want to breed the pigs, and see how that goes. But, I’m pretty darned sure I will love them while the6 are here, and love to see the green in my hand when we sell them? Not sure...but, pigs aren’t at all like goats! We did talk about sheep again today. I said if/when we get a ram, we should try to ge5 a bottle baby....perhaps his temperament would be better? But that’s definitely not this year. We’ve got enough on our plates right now, but it sure is fun!! :).

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We did talk about sheep again today. I said if/when we get a ram, we should try to ge5 a bottle baby....perhaps his temperament would be better?

NEVER keep a bottle fed ram. They will have no fear or respect for you and will hurt you. Bottle fed rams are for dinner. You should put in a lot of study time if you want sheep. Rams are dangerous.....sez the Baymule that loves on, scratches and spoils her ram.... But it is RINGO! Ringo is a one in a million ram. When @Mike CHS said he was going to replace Ringo, we drove to Tennessee to get him. He is calm, sweet and can be a little rammy, but a thump on the nose fixes that. He is my baby and will never go anywhere.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ohhhh, I thought it would be like goat kids...you know bottle babies are so sweet? Ok, then, you’ll need to give me some tricks on sweetening up a ram. I don’t remember who’s post it was, but there whole gate got smashed from the ram! So, I will definitely do major research. We are just thinking down the line. Chris doesn’t want a cow. Period. I think it’s because he had to spend so much time with cows growing up? So, he likes the price that sheep bring. Can’t blame him there! Thanks for the great tip, as usual! :)

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sure a bottle baby ram WOULD be sweet ... WHILE it is a baby. Like children, they grow up and that is what Bay is warning you about.
I told Chris that last night. He said...’so when are we getting sheep’? :lol: If/when we do get them, it won’t be at least for a year. We have enough goin* on right now!! So, before that happens..I’ll make sure to pick the brains of you all first! :)

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi everyone. So, we’re getting hit with that blizzard that’s hitting Erie. Imagine that! Got 8” today...at least 5-8” tomorrow and it’s not stopping until Monday? Hmmmmm. Makes chores tough. Poor animals. So, no baby mini pigs yet! I try to root around in the ‘hut’...we built this for Paris...apparently pigs like a hut to make a nest in. We have a piglet bar in it so they can get away. Anyways, when I go and look in the hay...apparently she buries her piglets...she gets protective of her space. But I did get a good thorough check...no babies. But, she’s not showing any discharge yet. Possibly will have some rabbit kits in the morning. I took my old ad off the internet for the last bunch I sold, but someone called yesterday. I told them I will have 10 in 4 weeks...can’t believe Alice’s buggers are that old! We are looking to buy me a truck! I want a smaller truck with four doors. Chris is a Chevy man, but they are biggg, we have several, so I looked at a Nissan. It was a good size. Too pricey. Still looking. Excited though. My mother in law had heart surgery today...up through her groin. Went great! Comes home tomorrow! Soo thankful! She is just like a Mom to me since mine is passed. Chris and I made a gallon of farmer cheese and goat milk PB fudge! The fudge was a pain...but yummy! Now my other goat had milk issues today! Her kids are jumping over the side of the stall in with their cousins. Then Stormy gets too big and she doesn’t want to nurse! Ugh! Tomorrow we are putting more wood up over the side. They are crazy little goats! The debudding didn’t take on half of them! :(. So I ordered a great iron, recommended on here, and now we have to do it over! Ugh again! Poor little things! Chickens are doing great! They are up to between 27-32 eggs a day....Believe it or not...I don’t miss the ducks! I miss Little Lou, but he’s better off. But the rest of them...well, they took up a lot of time. My chores are done faster now and that’s nice! The pigs go potty in one spot in the barn...and that’s nice! Ok, have a great night. :)

Latest posts