C&D Farming..oh what a life!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow...biggg difference!! I love the silver look!! But, both are beautiful... we’ve been so busy the last few days, he said he has to get some big projects done before we can discuss breeds..etc..which, is totally, understandable...we need to be prepared....he’s still messing around with the new machines we bought..painting them and making them beautiful!! :lol: Going to buy more stuff Saturday..I hope he gets my roll away nest boxes done before then!!:fl

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sooo...Chris made the new nest boxes so the chickens can’t eat the eggs!! I was like a kid on Christmas!! My SIL and niece came out and that was fun. Washed the rabbit hutches...oh, geez, it was a major work day for us!! Up at 6...didn’t get back inside til after 8:30...just ate sandwiches outside doing work. Gets like this for quite awhile... I know you all understand.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, the boxes needed adjustment..the first six eggstheyvwere able to get to..so we pulled the boards forward, so the eggs had more room to roll back..from then on..worked like a charm! Then we discussed the haying equipment. I’ve changed Mt tune. I don’t think we need to to that to ourselves...as it is..we work 12-14 hours a day...hard work...I don’t think needs another big ptobrct..ok, getting sleepy..sorry for typos..lol

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Look around your area for a spinners guild. There is one in the county next to me. I have not inquired about it since I would have to go all out and get wool sheep, spinning wheel, all the stuff, learn to knot and crochet...….. you see where this is going..... Call the county ag agent and ask.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since you are already working a WHOLE lot, yeah, see if there is someone nearby that will hay your fields. They already have the expensive equipment and experience to know when the hay is dry enough to bale and how to get it that way. I think there are several "payment models". You could pay them directly if you need all the hay. They could take the value of their work in hay that they can sell.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Look around your area for a spinners guild. There is one in the county next to me. I have not inquired about it since I would have to go all out and get wool sheep, spinning wheel, all the stuff, learn to knot and crochet...….. you see where this is going..... Call the county ag agent and ask.
I think we have tabled the sheep for now...we just got another restaurant ordering our eggs..so, we bought more chickens. We also got a restaurant..fancy one..buying goat cheese...ugh? I didn’t realize this was go8ng to kind of...blow up to this proportion? But we are excited. Chris is right now looking at farm signs to put up on the road. We are looking into getting a couple lionhead rabbits. Rabbits are sell8ng like crazy...tons of people asking for this...so, if I could find two....they aren’t available around here....I could brEd them , and sell a bit cheaper? I think that’s why mine go so fast..I only charge $10..but that’s plenty of money and it makes everyone happy. Win..win!
We are getting the rest of the haying equipment tomorrow, and a sprayer too. 275 gallon* tank. He said, we don’t have to decide about haying now, and he wants the stuff. I think he wants to try the haying. I guess I’ll have to be ok with that as long as it doesn’t mess up what we have now,...if he’s getting overworked..it’s not worth saving $1,000-2,000? Or how ever much! My mini pig, Petuna is about to explode!! Belly dragging on the ground, Ashley, from, @The_V's is sooo sweet and checks on me all the time to see how things are going. I send her pictures and she gives me guidance. She definitely knows her pig stuff!! 😀👍.
There is just one last animal I would like to add this year..an alpine goat. I looked around. I found a farm..there goats are registered...but, she said she would sell me one for $250...which seemed like a good deal? But, Chris said, no, too high. So, I’ll just keep poking my head around...but I think the6 are around that price, even more? But, it would be nice to have one in milk, for when I do breed Busty....we’ll see? Ok..good night..have an early morning!! This is Petuna..these were all taken last week..she’s much bigger now!!
8C721E10-A706-4CE3-A3B1-D60723672CE0.jpeg
ED8C18BB-3C7C-42BF-8B95-01089684231B.jpeg
1C544595-19F6-4FEA-A3FF-0142F5A257AF.jpeg

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since you are already working a WHOLE lot, yeah, see if there is someone nearby that will hay your fields. They already have the expensive equipment and experience to know when the hay is dry enough to bale and how to get it that way. I think there are several "payment models". You could pay them directly if you need all the hay. They could take the value of their work in hay that they can sell.
That’s what our neighbor did...he had a few acres done..$1,000 ...Chris was all into it..3 days later we bought the equipment. So, I never know what he’s thinking...he put a lot of work into them...getting rust off...under coat two coats of professional tractor paint...and he paints vehicles in our paint both with a sprayer..so, he does great work.....I think we should resell for a higher price since he fixed them up so good and now they won’t rust....??

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cleaning up and painting and all that is good to help prolong the life..... But anyone that knows anything about farm equipment will not buy a shiny new paint job without proof that the piece of equipment works. Unless we buy new, a paint job is the first thing to be wary of because a well oiled greased, , maintained piece of equipment is much better to take a chance on......Not to burst your bubble, but outside looks are worth nothing if the inside of the machine does not run properly.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are getting the rest of the haying equipment tomorrow

Miss @Duckfarmerpa1,

I hope you don't spend too much money on hay equipment. Miss @farmerjan can vouch for that -- you can go back in her journal and read of the fun she had. Another source of that info comes from a YouTuber, PA Farms, who is a part time farmer who primarily grows row crops. He went into the haying business when he started out and soon found out that it was the least profitable part of his operation. Here is a YouTube video of his where he talks about his experience:

I am certainly not advising not to do it. I usually enjoy mowing my pastures and once considered buying some hay equipment, but the expense of the equipment (I priced new equipment) was a big turn-off.

Senile Texas Aggie

Latest posts