C&D Farming..oh what a life!

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may want to make up your mind for sure what you want to do along with her. Then maybe think of a way you can put the flesh back on her. She may be putting it all in the bucket. Maybe not stopping milking completely, but go down to maybe once a day milking with more carbs and less of the high protein stuff but still 2x day feed? IDK for sure there. Fat is important too, but in moderation or it causes runs or bad absorption supposedly. A more experienced goater would know better how to help. Please check with one of them on the best course of action.

My personal mix has only a medium amount of protein, a bit extra fat, and only as many carbs in addition to grain as I add on a goat to goat basis. The mix you are doing has some additions I haven't messed with yet. Someone else might know how to use them properly to help Busty. But I only know the grain, alfalfa, boss, rice bran, and occasionally a little beet pulp.

If you want to disease test her to rule anything out that's an option too. Johnes and CAE can do bad things to a doe. Cae particularly can take a heavy tithe on the joints. Worms are another thing that can waste away a doe. You don't need anything extra working against her under the radar while you're building her up.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I thought Busty was a ND mix? What is a planer goat? I googled it, did not come up with anything.
she is part ND, is what I was to,d...I was also told she was planer..which refers to her ears...like an airplane. It’s an uncommon, and rather new breed, which is why most people know it as the Batman goat, because it was a fad? I have no clue, it’s just what I was told? I’m not really sure what she actualy is....this is some pictures of her on the milk stand from the side. She doesn’t look so bad...but,I think it doesn’t give the whole picture of who she really really is? You know?
28B33C13-EE36-424F-A1C1-1CD35DBC479D.jpeg
DDA7FDC9-E1AF-44F5-837C-68E255FE5EEA.jpeg
6C94F229-2238-4682-9BCD-F32E43E33DA3.jpeg
5898CCE0-B19D-4C25-B52B-05743F255E2C.jpeg
72279ED6-8CD9-42FA-ABA0-6735B6790105.jpeg

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may want to make up your mind for sure what you want to do along with her. Then maybe think of a way you can put the flesh back on her. She may be putting it all in the bucket. Maybe not stopping milking completely, but go down to maybe once a day milking with more carbs and less of the high protein stuff but still 2x day feed? IDK for sure there. Fat is important too, but in moderation or it causes runs or bad absorption supposedly. A more experienced goater would know better how to help. Please check with one of them on the best course of action.

My personal mix has only a medium amount of protein, a bit extra fat, and only as many carbs in addition to grain as I add on a goat to goat basis. The mix you are doing has some additions I haven't messed with yet. Someone else might know how to use them properly to help Busty. But I only know the grain, alfalfa, boss, rice bran, and occasionally a little beet pulp.

If you want to disease test her to rule anything out that's an option too. Johnes and CAE can do bad things to a doe. Cae particularly can take a heavy tithe on the joints. Worms are another thing that can waste away a doe. You don't need anything extra working against her under the radar while you're building her up.
I just dewormed her last month... is it possible that she could have them again already?

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Our mini nubian had airplane ears. Maybe she is that? Her pictures do not make her look skinny. She has ND so she is at least part milk goat. She will be hippy looking, especially while in milk. Can you feel her spine and ribs? In the pictures she actually looks like she has a fat bulge along her ribs.

This is the ADGA website that shows dairy goats in different body conditions. Look at that and compare her to them. You can put your hands on her, we can only see the pictures.

I would run a fecal before worming. Did you run a fecal before/after worming her?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our mini nubian had airplane ears. Maybe she is that? Her pictures do not make her look skinny. She has ND so she is at least part milk goat. She will be hippy looking, especially while in milk. Can you feel her spine and ribs? In the pictures she actually looks like she has a fat bulge along her ribs.

This is the ADGA website that shows dairy goats in different body conditions. Look at that and compare her to them. You can put your hands on her, we can only see the pictures.

I would run a fecal before worming. Did you run a fecal before/after worming her?
Well, it was ivermectin given for lice, and I figured it would also knock out the worms? Yes, she does still have a big ‘ol side look to her. Looks quite fat. But, yes her ribs are there I can feel her spine. I think her body score is about a 3? But from behind she looks so hollow...that’s what has me concerned. So, the airplane ears may mean nothing? Darn, they are what I just adore..this big flopers!,, well if you don5 think she looks too bad, that’s good news for me..plus, more reason for me to bu6bthe microscope. I list out one the one I wanted over $5!! Friday I had to run my pugs poop to the vet..,$15...if I had the scope, it’d have almost paid for itself with that poop now Busty!! Thanks...once again!! Good night!!

Last edited:

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Duckfarmerpa1 apolgize for interrupting your journal for this, but I just HAVE to make an observation to @lalabugs . I just noticed that you have a goat named Nyx. My dog is named Nyx. Greek goddess of night (darkness). I was certain that would be a unique name. So pleased to see someone with the same penchant for oddball names.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ivermecvtin will do next to nothing for barber pole worms so she could very well be wormy. I thought that just a little while back you wanted to cut down on the amount of milk she was making, and that was in part the reason behind the feed change.
If she is wormy, then stopping milking will do little for her to improve her condition.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Xerocles ..NEVER apologize to me for anything!M. I’m glad to have you reading!! I think you’re a blast!! Glad to hear from you..I hope things are well at your end?!
Things are smooth here. Red NZ kits are abt 3 weeks. All surviving so far. Missed re-breeding her yesterday, but so what. Cruella/Cuddles didn't take her last breeding, so she's ready for a repeat also.
Weather here is gorgeous, 70's most days (eat your heart out.) Some few plants started and up to about 6 inches. Waiting until I finish the fence around the garden before putting them in the ground. Fence posts are planted. Just Waiting on the wire to come in at TSC.
Runner Ducks are growing like weeds. I still don't like them, but hoping strongly that they eat bugs like they're supposed to. Otherwise I'm gonna crate them up and ship them to you!
Chickens are going great guns. Eggs 6 for 6 every day. Wish I had some of your customers. I have 9 dozen eggs in the fridge right now. And I can't give them away. God help me when the ducks get old enough to lay!
All I need now is to move on some Katahdins, and to find me a good farm companion and I'll be walking in high cotton.