C&D Farming..oh what a life!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Soooo. A lot of changes around here! We realized, thanks to a Barb, again...wha5 would I do without her?? That we had a ventilatoon issue in the barn.. got that fixed that day. So, now...will the new trailers getting dropped into the pasture, I’ve decide to get the goat one put back into higher ground that Doesn’t get wet. Buying 12 more calf panels...butting them up to the trailer door..out to the goat shed. That way..it will all be fenced...I can let them free range when I choose. But right now I have to lead them to the their pen and my crazy kids like to take off on me...imagine that? So, I’m hoping the new set up will work for summer and winter. They can stay out all day and night in warm weather..,the barn gets hot! And in cold, barn is nice aNd warm....well, sort of considering our temps..ugh. Chris bought me this giant old fashioned stainless steel milker. It needs new hoses...and a smaller pump...but, the price w3 paid, the steel alone is wirth more! So, we’re going to buy the parts, find a smaller motor, and pray! It was for cows, so tg3 guy said I could do two goats at once? I don’t Need that now, but next year when I have 9 in milk, that might be nice!

so, the “Rabbitry “. yes I used a fancy, dorky word for selling bunnies...🤣🤣🤣. But somehow it works! Right now the bunnies for kids has phased out. I sold three does that were meat breeds...sold them to a girl that is starting but won’t dare sell them to meat buyers. She bawled at the thought of it....anyways. I bough5 out a breeder, now I’ve been buying fancy pants pedigree rabbits...that’s what I’m going to have from now on. I’ll keep a few for kids around Easter for $15. But now I’m targeting other breeders. This is going to sound NUTS....I’m able to buy rabbits from one breeder...because I buy multiple bunnies I ge5 a deal. Then I sell them individual..and make a bunch. I’m doing this all for the farm fund, going towards the barn costs. But, I really do want to build up my rabbit herd. So I’m buying bunnies, and keeping the best, selling the rest. But, it’s absolutely crazy what these people pay for rabbits...now, I say this after I just drove today to get two fancy pants rabbits...but I got a really good deal. Chris is going along with it all, only because my gamble is working out. I started selling them off because I got scared of the virus. Bu5 then I realized, that bunnies sell for a lot right now and I can, somehow, buy them up, at a good price? I guee I found good connections? I did make friends with this fancy pants breeder who shows and she realllly knows her stipulated! She’s been telling me tg3 ins and out about rabbit genes. It’s still confusing, but I’m glad for the help. She’s also sending business my way. I can’t believe how easy it was to get this goofy “Rabbitry” started. But, we have made drastic changes to our raising from last year. No rabbits on the ground...ever. That breaks my heart...they loved this rabbit tractors. Yesterday, I put plywood down, and put the tractors over it all, then put some bunnies in..they had a ball! Most breeders don’t deworm at all. I’m still confused on that one. I’ve learned different ways to treat illness, and how to build up immune systems so it doesn’t happen in the first place. So, this summer, my goal is to just get my herd strong and healthy. This winter...my goal is to breed for color...I’m going to learn all that I can about genes a try really hard to breed so that I get certain results. This requires more than one buck in each breed. That’s ok. Ok, thanks for reading!!❤️🐰🐷🐐🐓

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK, I missed the part about why the rabbits can't be on the ground. Seems like happy bunnies eating grass along with their regular fancy pants rabbit rations would be healthier. But then I've never raised rabbits ;)

Good luck with the rabbitry, hopefully the well of buyers won't run dry.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
From what I have learned @Bruce , and experienced with the rabbits on the ground..the young ones don’t have the immunity to be string enough to fight against the Cocci or plain old, junk, germs, etc...I never lost an adult rabbit on the ground. So, this year and from now on, they go on plywood, and then I put the tractors over top, so the6 still ge5 to play, but no danger. I want happy but healthy bunnies. I also dont want to do stackable cages in the barn this winter beca I think tge6 woukd like a bit more room. But, I’m not sure we’ll have time to get anymore built? Having the new trailors dropped back tomorrow...goin* to be crazy. Our backhoe is acting up. W3 rented an excavator....the fron5 yard is a craz6 mess!
Chris put me on a buying freeze for bunnies...lol..which is fine because my chores take me at least 5 hours in the morning...no breaks. Had another bunnie kindle today! Unfortunatel, she’s the doe I almost sold and had to breed to a Cali buck...so now I have 9 little Cali kits. Which means...most likely they will all sell for dinner? I hate that!! This is why I was getting out of these breeds....I’ll try to get them to go to kids, bu5 white is hard to sell...the best thing of it all..I didn’t have to sell my sweet Cali girl. I didn’t understand the guy’s deal when we made is..as soon as it became clear, I begged him to change it....when he came to pick up the rabbits, I had bred another Cali doe...,asked him to take her instead, because I just love my Cali girl...he said yes! So, it was a good ending..well, except, all of those rabbits are now his dinner. I’m NOT saying there is anything wrong with eating rabbit..we did it at first. Im simply saying, that, now, after becoming attached and loving my bunnies, no way could I eat them.

ok, good night and thanks for reading!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, my new milk room should done this week or the next, because the other two barns are to be dedicated just for pigs and then one for goats,...last one just storage.sooo..in the one we have have now, I’m going to use the part where the rabbits hang to milk the goats. My milk stands is pretty crupuddingbfrim goats pooping and play for on it for a year, so, short of cscrubbing hands too the bone,...again...how do I get the crud off it rather quick and easily?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Use what outside? I tried to milk outside....in the winter it gets down to negative whatever...that’s why I’m getting my own room...it just going to be my milk stand, supplies, and some storage....I can’t wait! I’m hoping I get a refrigerator!! Oh, I just reread your post...I think you mean you keep the putty knife and dust pan?? Those you keep in the barn? That I can do!! Sometimes I am sooo dense!🤣🤣🤣

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, we’ve had wayyy too much milk, I guess due to covid..and the freezer is full, etc. yesterday a friend stopped by..he’s an old dairy farmer, and used to drinking milk straight from the cow. I gave him half gallon fresh squeezed..🤣. Now he wants 2 gallons as often as I can! So, here’s the question..am I charging him?hes a good friend, has health issues, asked us for a loan, etc....honestly, I don’t care now...because I’d rather the milk be enjoyed rather than...ruined, etc..gave to my chickens, etc...which, by the way, the chickens loved it!! So, if I give it him now for free, because my sales are down, because stores aren’t really open, what do I say, when my demand rises? Ugh! The goats found an apple tree today were the trunk splits low to the ground. Of course, my stinker, Trixie..was right up in there, lickitie-split! There are only tiny blossums, but we don’t want them to eat them, because then we won’t have apples for alll the animals? Thought I’d throw in some extra pictures..agouti goat in Willy❤️❤️❤️ Then two new trailers...golf cart with our logo, and then of course, my stinker goats!!🤣
BA9D8341-B57D-4EC9-9910-7A09A65DD576.jpeg
2275F8B5-EAA4-4ABA-96FC-BE02EC44427A.jpeg
A3227F53-92D5-4540-8E86-D3B8DCDDD302.jpeg
8EECC47E-541D-483A-9D2C-D4F6E0B8F1EA.jpeg

Attachments

• 7523CD80-0A8E-4AC7-BEB2-EF07CD61900E.jpeg
    7523CD80-0A8E-4AC7-BEB2-EF07CD61900E.jpeg
    657.9 KB · Views: 139