C&D Farming..oh what a life!

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, if I give it him now for free, because my sales are down, because stores aren’t really open, what do I say, when my demand rises?
I’d just tell him exactly that... I can give you some now since demand is down, but when my paying customers return, I won’t have as much (or possibly any) to spare.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Either what @SA Farm said, or just charge him a couple dollars a gallon and tell him that you will supply him as best you can after things get back to normal. I would at least try to manage 1/2 to 1 gal a week even after things pick up and continue to charge a low but fair price. This is the kind of people I will be allowing to get milk from me when I get things back to normal, maybe this fall.....and some of the heifers freshen.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, he’s a good friend, so I will always make sure he has milk, i just ever want it to get awkward. I’m not good at even asking our paying customers for the money....yet my family teases me that I have become ruthless...ugh..I sure hope not..that’s the day I just become a simply hobby farmer again! Thought I’d show some random pictures of some farm babies! The first is our dog in the treat drawer...🤣then, French lop bunnies...then lionhead harlequin.....then a nest full of California...and last one of the lionheads keeps sneaking out of the nest and taking a stroll! Sooo cute....but he or she has nooo clue where they are!❤️🤣🐰
0FB82D6B-DAF5-40B8-A77B-1F47F5444D2D.jpeg
A88E7E5A-CFA4-47B9-B444-599850620EFB.jpeg
834FA325-A76D-49BC-B79D-8B9D10747358.jpeg
06157C96-75F3-4B5A-9204-C057688D49F4.jpeg
36BA06C3-8ADE-4C9C-B33B-BCCAA908737A.jpeg

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got a STEAL OF A DEAL TODAY, We were going to TS to buy cattle panels..planned to get 16...welll..Chris picked at some and said they were bent...tiny bit, not bad at all...managers said she’d give them to us for $10 apiece!! So we bought them all!! We wished they’d had a ton!! But we ended up with 29....for only $500!! We are very happy!the goalies will be too! We got the last trailer dropped back today...decided which one will be the other goat barn...it’s sooo funny, those goats see four trailers side by side..and they just know Exactly which one was theirs!! So, I’m of course, praying for no rain...but it’s calling for 90% tomorrow..to get the fencing done....I understand, it can wait a few days more....

I have this chicken, I think she might be egg bound? I haven’t had time to read up...she kind of hunt he’s over..I separated her yesterday. If she’s ill..not taking chances!! Chris said she seems to be doing ok today..but she was stooping for two days..and, he’s not as observant as I am...is that awful to say? He is just more focused on the jobs..I’m focused on the animals. I think you’re supposed to soak them in epsom salts if they’re egg bound? Chris palpated her but didn’t feel anything...

our mini pigs are not so mini right now! Their belies are fat with piggies growing! The waiting list is growing! I jus5 pray this isn’t a fad, and we’re not out..of buyers within a year?

the Rabbitry is smoothe sailing! Selling rabbits is going great! Sold a special guy today...Holland lop...I wanted him to go to a family, not a breeder...and he did! I have a wait list for the harlequin lionheads! I think I’m keeping one. Told a lady today I was pricing them at $90...they are pedigree..she gave me her deposit. I was pretty shocked, but the buck sold for $100, so I thought I’d try? I learning my rabbit colours really well...focusing more on goat Husbandry...learning how to make the routine easier. I have the milking order easy..I can go to the fence, say their names, and all three come out...not the kids!! Then I stall two, and switch until I’m done...then, surprising they run back to their pen! Two weeks ago they took off into thin air! So, we’re doing better! The kids still have me running during their free range time....but..it’s ok...

the kids are still funny about new fruits and veggies...today we tried strawberries and apples...guess the apples were sour? Kids wouldn’t..but they wanted to..they didn’t try anything. Moms were ok with the stuff, of course..they loved it!!🤣❤️🐐

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
But we ended up with 29....for only $500!!
Big difference between $290 and $500.... 🤣 ...hope ya tax rate isn't that High!!....:lol::gig.....if'n ya start looking for the "end of the ride", just as it "starts" to move....ya will miss the "pleasure" of the ride, while it can be Enjoyed.....:)

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got a STEAL OF A DEAL TODAY, We were going to TS to buy cattle panels..planned to get 16...welll..Chris picked at some and said they were bent...tiny bit, not bad at all...managers said she’d give them to us for $10 apiece!! So we bought them all!! We wished they’d had a ton!! But we ended up with 29....for only $500!! We are very happy!the goalies will be too! We got the last trailer dropped back today...decided which one will be the other goat barn...it’s sooo funny, those goats see four trailers side by side..and they just know Exactly which one was theirs!! So, I’m of course, praying for no rain...but it’s calling for 90% tomorrow..to get the fencing done....I understand, it can wait a few days more....

I have this chicken, I think she might be egg bound? I haven’t had time to read up...she kind of hunt he’s over..I separated her yesterday. If she’s ill..not taking chances!! Chris said she seems to be doing ok today..but she was stooping for two days..and, he’s not as observant as I am...is that awful to say? He is just more focused on the jobs..I’m focused on the animals. I think you’re supposed to soak them in epsom salts if they’re egg bound? Chris palpated her but didn’t feel anything...

our mini pigs are not so mini right now! Their belies are fat with piggies growing! The waiting list is growing! I jus5 pray this isn’t a fad, and we’re not out..of buyers within a year?

the Rabbitry is smoothe sailing! Selling rabbits is going great! Sold a special guy today...Holland lop...I wanted him to go to a family, not a breeder...and he did! I have a wait list for the harlequin lionheads! I think I’m keeping one. Told a lady today I was pricing them at $90...they are pedigree..she gave me her deposit. I was pretty shocked, but the buck sold for $100, so I thought I’d try? I learning my rabbit colours really well...focusing more on goat Husbandry...learning how to make the routine easier. I have the milking order easy..I can go to the fence, say their names, and all three come out...not the kids!! Then I stall two, and switch until I’m done...then, surprising they run back to their pen! Two weeks ago they took off into thin air! So, we’re doing better! The kids still have me running during their free range time....but..it’s ok...

the kids are still funny about new fruits and veggies...today we tried strawberries and apples...guess the apples were sour? Kids wouldn’t..but they wanted to..they didn’t try anything. Moms were ok with the stuff, of course..they loved it!!🤣❤️🐐
Sometimes it's not egg bound but internal laying and then they don't pass those. Just keep an eye on the bird? Or a disease gets them. Hard to say being chickens carry so many different things.
Great deal on the fence. I need to get another fence up around the goat shed soon too.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I always go look to see if any are bent and get a discount too. Last time I went to get 2 hog panels (shorter) to use at the cornish x and wound up bringing home 4 because of the 2 bent ones being alot cheaper. They are great if you are 100% positive that the fence is going to stay where you put it, so as to not put in permanent.... Great deal.

Little syringe with some cod liver oil, squeezed up into the cloaca will help lubricate an egg bound hen. But if it breaks you may as well kill her as they seldom will pass all of it and it will just "go bad" inside. And the shells can pierce the lining and cause infection.