C&D Rabbitry has begun!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, as most of you know, our farm is named...C&DFarming....well, my rabbit breeding has...expanded. I’m learning more about colour...genes..crosses..although I haven’t done that yet..I mean, I cross my California to NZ, to get spots for kids....but Im looking into crossing lionhead with Lops...but the more I read...it’s like crossing a line for breeders. So, not sure yet. We bought out a breeder. It was risky. I had a ton of bunnies..and with RHD 2....I was worried. But, I sold off some of my NZ girls, miss them dearly...can’t believe how attached I am to these gals..I had bad dreams for two nights. But, I couldn’t keep all the bunnies with my work load. Anyways....I now have mini rex...mini rex harlequin, Holland Lops, French Lops, lionhead, Dutch, NZ, and California. Then I cross the last two. I’ve got pedigree on the Lops and lions...and chocolate for NZ...which I know, is not a recognized colour....also in French, three lions, and blue cali cross, Holland. Sooo. I’m having lots of fun...well I’m trying to have lots of fun, with learning the gene stuff. Man is that tricky! I’m thinking of focusing On regular breeding for quality now..and during the winter, play with colour? A friend showed me this site...Hoobly.com...crazy how bunnies sell...and I’m selling tons on the FB sites...for just the farm page. The rabbit chores have doubled, poor Chris has had to build more hutches. We bought more semi trailers..and the rabbits will be totally alone all winter...well, I’ll use part of it as my milk room...since it’s a huge area...I’m so excited to have a dedicated milk room! The bunnies were just part of the hobb6 before..but, after talking to sooo many breeders out here...it’s really big here...maybe everywhere? And learning about ‘the craft’ of colour, etc....Now it excites me. Plus...who doesn’t love all that fuzzy bunny in your face? I have a few too many bucks for a few breeds, but it’s because of the colour trials. Chris is ok with it. He actually is on board. We bought out the breeder. Had wayyyy too many rabbits....sold 7....and made back the money..well, I sold my does too. It’s not all about the profit...but, it helps a ton to have the rabbits pay for the feed. Plus, these 3 lb lionhead eat way less than my NZ gals...🤣.
of course there have been many down days..lost a lot of kits due to the bad weather....water in the box...mom rejecting them, etc. dear @B&B Happy goats , has been a great help! As usual! We are expecting more kits tomorrow, and then two does the next day.
@The_V's and I were goin* to try a rabbit transport company...but...the lady doesnt seem to answer calls quick enough. We’re going to keep looking into it. Her prices out there are hugely different than mine for meat...while mine are way high for the dwarfs....who knows?

Plus we are Leary about doing is with the RHDV2.....she had it on her farm! Luckily it only took two of her bunnies. It’s such a mystery. So I thought I’d create this thread, to kind of keep a bunny journal, about my trial and error, with genes, breeds, selling..etc. first thing..I had a win last week...my French was sick...poopy butt. I separated her..pushed the wet greens, gas drops, Albon, malt hair ball relief—she loved that! I have nooo clue what helped. But within four days...that girl was feeling great! She was also due to kindle! So, there was a lot at stake. I was scared to lose them all..,she is such a sweetheart. So, once she was better, I took her back...gave her the nest box. But, she was confused...made her nest next to it. It was really lucky. It was midday. I was giving dandelions..and I saw the kits....there were 6 in a corner. 4 were gone..but I took them, and tried the towel and blow dry trick..then the bra. No luck. I read about putting them in water? Going to try it next time. Scared. So, anyways...another breeder had a similar situation, told me to take the box in at night. I had planned to...but she kept fiddling. I had put the box in the corner. Something told me she wasn’t done. Next morning there was another. I’m glad I left them there, because I’m not sure just one would e been warm enough by itself? The four that didnt make it...looked to be chocolate and blue. The three that are here...all look to be chocolate. Here’s what really confuses me. Mom is solid. Buck is broken. These kits are definitely not broken. I can see the hair now..there are NO SPOTS. How can this be?

So, next to kindle, is my other French, she is broken...so I’m curious to see how many Charlie Marks I get? Some sites say 10%...some say 25...etc...I’m not too worried...I don’t breed for show. Plus the buck is blue, mom is chocolate...so the colour combo is good.
I don’t have a picture of the three kits yet..but I’ll get one soon. Just of the two baldies.🤣. I’m praying nothing happens to them. Their big ears are already so darned cute!

i have a litter of California coming tomorrow. I bred them for a guy who was to buy my beloved doe, but I convinced him to take another at the last minute. So now I’ll have all these poor babies that I know will become dinner.😩. I think I’m going to offer them to a farmer/ex-breeder I know down the road for a deal. He would treat them with respect.

Ok, thanks for reading....take care all you bunny lovers!!🐰🐰🐰

Attachments

• 1CEEAEC2-413F-4DE9-850B-AEF4B58294ED.jpeg
    1CEEAEC2-413F-4DE9-850B-AEF4B58294ED.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 296
  • CFAD8C9C-3CBD-4747-863E-45BB1F016A6D.jpeg
    CFAD8C9C-3CBD-4747-863E-45BB1F016A6D.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 287
  • D428029C-8DA4-4FC3-87D2-96FA214F66F2.jpeg
    D428029C-8DA4-4FC3-87D2-96FA214F66F2.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 290
  • 5C040A45-784E-4468-B681-0C7283246A4E.jpeg
    5C040A45-784E-4468-B681-0C7283246A4E.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 294
  • DDD91F01-B95F-4EF5-8DD4-4A274DA6B0C5.jpeg
    DDD91F01-B95F-4EF5-8DD4-4A274DA6B0C5.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 282
  • 5E091FDE-2A1A-4512-8BEA-5B1CD2DA36CD.jpeg
    5E091FDE-2A1A-4512-8BEA-5B1CD2DA36CD.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 305
  • 9854352B-4742-4E00-98AD-6145231BAE4D.jpeg
    9854352B-4742-4E00-98AD-6145231BAE4D.jpeg
    471.7 KB · Views: 285
  • F26874B7-83D5-495D-B193-8B121D051599.jpeg
    F26874B7-83D5-495D-B193-8B121D051599.jpeg
    307.9 KB · Views: 298
  • D6463E94-2690-48A8-B035-964CFBBEE552.jpeg
    D6463E94-2690-48A8-B035-964CFBBEE552.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 310
  • B78D81BC-6C98-4EA8-9B7D-04584AAE795F.jpeg
    B78D81BC-6C98-4EA8-9B7D-04584AAE795F.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 289

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sooo...I didn’t know who the buck was for my two lionhead does...turns out the one was a beautiful, double mane and skirt, pedigree harlequin.....so, I’ve got myself 5 harlequin lionhead in the nest box!! Wooohooo!! And my other doe, same thing she was bred to a broken chocolate pedigree buck....so I’m anxiously awaiting for those little guys!! The Lops born a few days ago are definitely chocolate. Just bought a blue mini rex blue buck and a blue Dutch buck...oh and a quality jersey Woolys doe. I’m on the hunt for blue does...but, luckily I sold my first wool to a friend, I’m going to ask if she’ll let me stud her buck...I’m sure she’ll say yes...an excuse to come to the farm?? I’m having a ball with all the bunny rush! People bartering, for pedigree, never knew bunnies were such a hot commodity? It’s fine by me, since I know 5he6 are goung to be well cared for..I mean, people are willin* to pay big money for these bunnies...why do that and treat them badly? One hitch in my Rabbitry....I was able to keep my beloved Cali doe?.but I bred her to my Cali buck, because I thought I had to sell her...made a bad deal. So, now I have a nest box full of meat rabbits. This is what I don’t like about the rabbit world. I realize they are a part of the food chain, and many of you breed just for that reason. But, I like to breed for children....

Oh, with all my new , fancy breeds, I had to sell some NZ does..pregnant...boy I do miss them. But, the two ladies are keeping posted on them. The one is extremely new to this. She texts me constantly..she thinks they are not drinking, etc. she watches them all day. I told her to give them privacy, and to calm down...next day they both kindled! She was soooo excited! I’m very happy for her! She plans to make up information packets for her buyers...I told her to keep it basic, to not overwhelm them...and tell them they can call anytime.....❤️🐰 Problem is, she does...call me any..and every time!! 🤣. Oh well, I like to help her.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, so the C&D Rabbitry is still growing and doing great!! I’ve found a couple other rabbit people...both do the show circuit..but are very helpful with information.....I’m working hard on my color charts..found a good cheat sheet...🤣. I got a BEW mini rex anspd his mate a Cantor VM marked blue eyed min8 Rex on Friday...even drove to N.y myself!! I bred them on Tuesday...man he’s a great buck!! I saw three fall offs but he was in there for about 20 minutes so I’m sure there were more! I’m very happy with my stock right now. I’m selling a lop to a nice family on Sunday..selling my treasured California buck tomorrow...but I don’t need him anymore. I slept on it for a week. I have a Cali doe. I only kept one NZ doe. I have two NZ bucks..I’m goin* to play with the breeding to see who gives me better colors...then I’ll decide which buck to keep, the one is new.so, then I only have a chocoloate lionhead to sell right now, and I’ll sit on him until I get the right price! I have two nest boxes of French Lops and harlequin lionhead.....very excited anpbout thise. I do have a litter of mostly California, and Cali cross...but, that was because the guy wanted to buy my sweet cali doe. Anyways...I’m pretty sure I’ll have to let them go for meat...that will break my heart, but it’s that time of year....everyone is happy, healthy..thriving!! I still need names for about 8 pr so? That can come....