C&DFarming 2020 kidding thread❤️🐐

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, got the supplies ready, most are already in the barn, towels, hairdryer, a lot of the stuff we just used to deliver piglets...but, I also had a lot of stuff, that I bought For the goats..that I guess, you only need if things go....really bad....I have all of that stuff too, in a different bag..ready to go. Last year both goats kidded on the same day. We literally just finished drying up the triplets..and then Stormy, started screaming....we ran over...I didn’t have anymore dry towels...I never thought I’d have two go at the same time!! But we managed!!🤣. Busty’s delivery was rough...1st was breach and stalled..tough....Stormy was the opposite..the twins came flying out!🤣. What a day!! We were hooting and hollering! Oh, yeah and throwing placenta in Walmart bags out of the barn🤣. But, now things have changed...hubby doesn’t bother with the bags anymore...when our last Juliana mini pig, had her piglets...he threw the placenta at me🤣😩. He’s a riot...and like a 12 year old boy...but he keeps it exciting. I was going to ge5 better pictures of Honey today...because she is sooo much bigger..but she wouldn’t keep still...🤣. They are hot and tired...poor girls...

Jaime

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Kidding time is always exciting Lol 😂 It's my favorite time of the year. I had one of my girls kidded with triplets as a FF. Took me by surprise, She barely had a belly and we all thought for sure she had a single or twins. She had the first kid with no problems but we ended up having to pull the last two since they were determined to come out at the same time lol. Pigs are a blast too 😁 How many goats do plan on breeding? Just the 3 or do you have plans for your juniors?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hubby wants to breed them alllllll...I want to wait and see.

Got two kidding on 8/20
Busty is in with my buck now..but she might have been exposed before?

Definitely my ND born in Dec can be bred...She’s almost as big as momma...I might put her in with my buck after Busty, so I’ve got two kidding at the same time...

Then I’ve got 2 Pygmy/ND..1Kinder/ND..they were all born 1/31...wayyyy too small...maybe in December? Then I have a mini oberhasli..born in late February...she’s a twig...adorable...sooo sweet, obviously too small.

I don’t want too many kidding at once, and don’t want alll that work for just one kid? So, I’ll probably breed sugar..my big ND kid, soon, after I take Busty out. Then wait until December..put the twins in with the buck....then in Jan...do my Kinder and ober? Chris wants tgat alll moved up at least by a month. He read they only need to be 60% of their future weight?? I want them to be big enough and mature enough. But, with such a full farm, and just the two of us, two goats kidding at one time, I think will be just enough pressure...🤣😩❤️🐐🙏
7D1FBAB1-3004-4F59-8B8E-64EB9E97B77B.jpeg
CE2E7C19-1012-4D7B-A823-B21303E2FDD0.jpeg

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
7 days to go!! The girls are bigger than ever...Honey is starting to just lay around...Brandy just wants to eat and eat and eat....the bellies get sooo deceiving at this point...right now I’m guessing triplets for honey?but both only had a single last time?? Every time Chris tries to get the new goat barn fixed up..the goats decide to go to the other barn!! Ugh!!too many choices!!i guess maybe I should check ligaments tomorrow? But it seems wayyy too soon?
0CAE1E09-ED5D-4A8E-B0D2-0EBA37D0F783.jpeg
20A5549B-68AE-447B-A53F-960746AC5862.jpeg
37689E7C-E4C9-44F6-9545-F83B92881DBD.jpeg
DFE314FB-AB18-4AF8-A576-23A65DDD509A.jpeg
64D43FE3-7343-4C72-8516-C970D55D3F73.jpeg
CE3BA7D6-A943-41D0-A915-7FE44A100A1B.jpeg
F2AD45AB-1E30-468E-AD9A-89120E68CDC6.jpeg
8E749C63-FFF9-4D7A-B6B4-DAA7CFD82AE4.jpeg

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok.... @Jaime ... @B&B Happy goats @rachels.haven @Mini Horses @Jesusfreak101 @chickens really @lalabugs

ok..so, here we go...a few days to go...

i put an ad up on our farm page for “bottle babies “....woooosh.....my phone has been going off like mad!! According to these texts, I’ve sold about..12 kids? At least!
so, here’s my issue, when I first was thinking of having them as bottle babies....I read on here that I could keep them a couple days to make sure they are healthy..and then take them off mom..give the new owners goat milk....to make the transition to vit D cow milk?? Is there more to it than that?
so, do I leave them on mom for those two days? Or do I pull them and then bottle feed right away? Do I have to keep them two days? They need fed every three hours at first?

so, I’m kinda glad that I won’t have kids here for 8; weeks, falling in love with them...but I’m super worried that I’ll screw up taking them off momma....

oh, and a Honey looks like she may go early????? They are both due 8/20.... but she’s very uncomfortable....her ligaments are starting to loosen up a tad. She lays in weird corners..and makes weird noises. No goop. Bag is still not quite full..but getting close.

worst part is..I need dental surgery...I have a consult on Monday morning...they are squeezing me in...you know what’s goin* to happen...I won’t be able to leave.....bu5 then she won’t do anything!!

Brandy is acting jus5 the same. Not grumpy. But they are both huge!
Honeys bag today....

so, if you guys could give me some tips on getting a kid off mom..so I can sell them, faster the better...hate the way that sounds? But, if they stay here, I won’t want to sell.....the only ones I really want to keep, are Busty’s kids.....
E0C3394B-CD9B-4C15-86E4-5FD115EB77C7.jpeg

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
She's baggin up!
If they're going to be bottle babies they shouldn't nurse on mom or they will pick the "better" option. I've trained to the bottle older after being on mom and it's not fun and hit or miss.
They should sell no problem.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
She's baggin up!
If they're going to be bottle babies they shouldn't nurse on mom or they will pick the "better" option. I've trained to the bottle older after being on mom and it's not fun and hit or miss.
They should sell no problem.
Can I sell them the same day, or the next day..or is that too soon..I mean I know they need their colostrum, etc...but the one lady wants to try to be here, to help deliver them....the othe4 lady is sooooo excited...they want them as soon as they can possibly take them......can they nurse from mom, for colostrum...then stay here for a few hours or half a day, to make sure the6 are eating, etc? The third lady wants allll the goats that are born...so if by chance, the first two...which I know the first one won’t back out, because she just bought a min8 piglet...but the third lady said if the others back out she wants allll our goats. Weird? I think we have stalkers?🤣🤣🤣❤️🐐. I just want to do what’s best for the kids, but also make the new parents happy too❤️❤️🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't do the same day or let people on the farm to help deliver. The kids are still a little shaky then. It would be a good idea to make sure they will live and be healthy, plus I know the milk doesn't clear of colostrum for 2 weeks, but that doesn't mean that's the right amount of time. If you want them firm on the bottle with the least amount of work to you, I think no time on mom is the best ticket from what I've heard-no bonding to break also. Milk mom and bottle feed it. Some people give them two days for mom's attention but continue feeding them mom's milk until it's cleared out, and they have to work at getting them to take that bottle. After always having that one kid that won't take the bottle over a teat, I'm not sure I'm going to take that route, but to each his own.

Where's a real bottle feeder out there? I'm just getting into this info because going to be bottling this year because one of my does has rejected her babies routinely at 3 weeks and hates motherhood. I'm just going to be giving them mom's milk for two weeks with ALL the colostrum until it clears up, then continue feeding it until they have deposits and pickup dates (very important on the pickup date part) and other instructions.

I'd be leary of any lady who wants "all" the babies born. They are a lot of work. She'd be better off to start with one or two, imo, and definitely worried about the person who wants all your goats. That is weird-on the scale of weirdness somewhere between someone who wants all your cars and someone who wants all your kids. YOU don't even want all the kids born. Imagine starting your herd like that-a crowd of nonhuman bottle suckers screaming your name 4-6x daily. Nope. I'd side with my motherhood hating goat there. Sheesh, take care out there.

If you can't find another answer, maybe bottle feed for two weeks to be on the safe side? No one can drink the milk then anyway, as you know. They may as well be eating it.

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd do as I told you that my friend keeps them between 1 and 2 weeks. They will get the colostrum from the bottle if your using the mother's first milk. Keeping them ensures they are strong, healthy and nursing properly. I would definitely be skeptical about a person that wants all the kids. Possibly for eating I'm thinking.
Good luck with the deliveries..👍🏼❤️🐐

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Two weeks on the bottle, and NO WAY on selling all to one person let alone someone wanting to be there for the birthing....she sounds like a nut job to me lol...
I have taken kids that have nursed on their mom for a week and changed over to bottle feeding.....but we kept the kids in the house away from the herd (in large dog crates).....it can be done, but adds to the work load....:love