CAE/CL

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You're absolutely right..

We have two doelings that were just integrated into our primary herd from a pen of their own, and they're still haired over. They'll each be a year old here in a few months, and act perfectly normal. They could regularly be seen SPRINTING from one side of their enclosure to the other, laying down, literally jumping up to run for hay or grain, bedding down together...just being normal, crazy little goats.

Their enclosure was soft, though. Grassy, soft soil, straw bedding. There was nothing abrasive in their area whatsoever. Now that they're in the barnyard where there are big warm rocks and the trunk of a gigantic dead white oak to climb up and lay down on, I expect they'll be calloused pretty soon. Not concerned at all.

Like I said earlier, seeing haired-over knees is when one might begin to suspect that something might be going on. If there are other explanations for hairy knees, well...it's not like there's anything in particular about CAE that makes them grow hair on their knees.. :gig

Personally....I doubt your does have CAE, based on what you've said.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks cm, I'm getting the tests anyway.. it's costing a fortune ($150.00 for two does) but it's worth it for piece of mind. I'm on a waiting list for March for a pygmy buck and nigi wether and I want to sell some of our resulting kids, so the cae negativity is a huge bonus to me.