Calendula's Journal -- Nubian Pictures

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just found this and want to welcome you to the forum from northeast Texas. I also lurked a long time as I lived in town and had no animals except chickens. We finally moved (2 years ago February 14) and we got the sheep I wanted so badly. But I had braved it up to join so I could ask questions and get to know everybody. I am glad you joined the fun, jump in on the conversations here, you never know what direction things will take..... LOL

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
We just got almost 4 feet snow yesterday and it isn't stopping:th:ep!

We have had for the last four years less than a foot of snow so this year they said there was supposed to be no snow, I guess weather man doesn't know how to tell wather, LOL!

Calendula

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@CntryBoy777 I don't really know what to believe. :hu However today is warm enough that it feels like summer. I could go out in my shorts and probably be too warm when we should have snow drifts taller than me.

@Baymule Hello! I think I've read your sheep thread, actually. :hide And thank you for the welcome. Sheep are on my list in the next couple years hopefully! What breed of sheep do you have?

@TAH I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually jealous.:hitI kind of miss all the snow. Where are you at?

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well it all depends on whether ya believe in Creation or Evolution, basically, without getting into the Bible too deep. If ya believe in Creation, then it is an oxymoron to entertain the "Human Effect" on the atmosphere. However, if ya entertain the notion of Evolution, then the effect is null and void too. Because, humans weren't the first "Glob" to evolve and had no "Effect" until the final transition from ape to human took place.
With either, there is much greater History of the past than there are records to support such "Theories". It is simply a "Scare Tactic" to gin-up fear in all that will Listen; like, a living "Chicken Little" story. :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have Katahdin/Dorper cross ewes and a Dorper ram. I got cross breds to "learn" on, when Prince, my ram has served his time here, I will get a registered ram and couple of registered ewes and start grading up. Both are good breeds, I just love those big hog ham Dorper butts! :drool

Calendula

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a couple short little chicken stories to share. Even if this is for herds, I figure the chickens can still get a little attention, right?
I have this adorable little Easter Egger hen or "bantam" Ameraucauna. I honestly can't remember, but she's smaller than a standard-sized, but bigger than a bantam, so I don't know. Anyway, she loves to get under your feet and trip you and she's just very social.
So I was out in the yard, taking a break from cleaning out the coop when I see her come tearing across the yard with one of our young roosters chasing after her. She's adamant that he will not get her and I'm wondering what she's going to do when it turns out that her plan was to come running over to me and hide behind me! :lol: I've never had a hen use me for protection from the boys, but maybe they should start because he stopped immediately and she was looking at him from between my legs with a smug expression.

@TAH Alaska is gorgeous. :love I wanted to move there when I was younger because of the dogs. It's too cold for me, though. But I will settle for a vacation there one day.

@CntryBoy777 Well, I suppose I can agree with that. :)

@Baymule Ooh, clever idea. Learning on mixed breeds. Good luck on grading up with all that delicious meat. Do you keep everything, or sell some?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am in my 2nd lambing. I kept 2 ewes from the first lambing and sold the ram lambs as wethers for slaughter. So far this time, I have 3 rams, now wethered and waiting on the next one to see if I get any ewes......

Calendula

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm excited to announce that tomorrow, we are going to pick up two ADGA registered Nubian doelings!

:weee
They will be bottle fed, so we picked up formula and I put it on the kitchen table to break the news to my parents that they were coming THIS weekend. They had completely forgotten, but everyone is excited nonetheless!
They'll be decked out in some sweaters and kept in the kidding stalls (they're short, have a ceiling, and are insulated so they stay pretty toasty) for the first few weeks while I keep them in quarantine before they get to meet their new, pint-sized herd. Possibly longer depending on how Michigan's weather warms up, but hopefully they'll be gone by the beginning of February.
I'm a little nervous, but also excited. :) They are CAE, CL, and Johnes free. The breeder even let me see the test results and informed me about G6S!
And see I'm busy with college today, tomorrow morning is going to be busy while we try to get everything ready for them. Finding and cleaning up the cage, getting nipples and bottles cleaned, fixing up the area, rehoming the bunnies that currently love living in the kidding stalls... :th

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats! I've never had bottle babies, but I've read that formula isn't great. Goat milk is obviously best, and cow milk is next. How old are they?

I'm going to tag the bottle feeding expert for you @Goat Whisperer, and she can correct me if I'm wrong.

Fantastic that they're from a tested herd, too!