Calendula's Journal -- Nubian Pictures

Calendula

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I bottle fed two years in a row back when we got our NDs. My own stupidity almost killed my first doe, Daphne. :hide But we went there, she said "These will need to be bottle fed!" and sent us on our way! At least now I know what to do and what to look for... and I have some extra dog cages if they need to be kept in the house. ;)

I was hoping to wait until my does gave birth and then maybe mix some of their extra milk with formula for the does, but I guess things don't always work out. :idunno

Sadly, I don't have the means to get to any fresh goat or cow milk, so formula is what I'm stuck with. To prevent scours and sickness, the vet told me to mix unflavored yogurt with it. That was a lifesaver for when Daphne was a kid and got sick, so now i just mix the yogurt in as a preventative.

They'll be about three or four days old when I first get them.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on the upcoming kids!

I agree, if you can re-sell the formula that might be best. I don't like replacer and refuse to use it. Whole milk is great.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If the formula isn't opened, I don't see why they wouldn't take it back... I'd say try to return it first. Or call the store and explain that you "bought the wrong stuff and it won't work" and ask can you return it.

Calendula

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Bruce I'm assuming it's a "we can make money off of unsuspecting goat owners." I did have constant diarrhea with my kids on formula.

We were able to return it and purchase whole milk! Which is a MUCH better deal, it turns out.

I'll post pics of the kids later. They're settled in and we're sewing some coats for them now.
We have decided to name them Mocha and Risa. They are absolutely precious. :love