Calf Born last night ~ NOT eating.... **More pic's #37**

steffpeck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She really hasn't had any mom's milk yet. We have been giving her powdered colostrum. We are picking up a milking machine tomorrow and hopefully we will be able to milk Spruce and feed her that. So she will probably get milk replacer today and tomorrow morning and then hopefully we can get momma milk for her tomorrow afternoon.

steffpeck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
No, I haven't heard back yet went the bull went in with them.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
How much are you giving her when you tube? It's possible that she is getting so full from the tubing that she isn't feeling hunger yet. These little ones really don't drink more than a quart at first.
If she is fighting the tube, I'd let her get hungry and see if she wants to suck. You may have to teach her to suck since it's been so long since she did it. the smell should excite her.

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
I like the Aquafina custom bottle, but are you sure it mimics a cow's udder well enough? She might not drink because of that.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
GrassFarmerGalloway said:
I like the Aquafina custom bottle, but are you sure it mimics a cow's udder well enough? She might not drink because of that.
That bottle should be fine.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
That bottle should be fine.
OK. Just wondering. :)
I've used an infant bottle to feed a premie. I do believe this calf is a premie and needs the smaller nipple that is on that bottle until she gains more strength.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I agree that the standard calf bottle nipple is really tough for small calves to handle. They should make half sizes!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Imissmygirls said:
I agree that the standard calf bottle nipple is really tough for small calves to handle. They should make half sizes!
Lamb nipples are a good compromise. I've got one on hand plus an infant bottle. After Midget I won't go without either.