Calf Born last night ~ NOT eating.... **More pic's #37**

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
It will be interesting to hear the vet's thoughts. She could just be slow. It happens sometimes and it takes a day or two till they rest and grow.
Maybe it's just the expression you caught in the pic. Do you think she looks sleepy? tired? content?

How big is she? Is it possible she has enough in her from the first tubing that she is still digesting? I've had Jerseys that only take a quart at a time if they are tiny.

steffpeck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
More pictures, does her head size look better in these?

DSCN0551.jpg

DSCN0552.jpg

She is small. She weighs 35-40 pounds and is about 24 inches tall. The Dexter's are a small breed.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Her head size does look better in those pics.

July 10th would put her earliest due date at 4/15. If that is the case you are dealing with an early baby. Today is the 2nd so that's 13 days. She will sleep alot and eat only a little at a time. Feed frequently. Every 2 hours. If you have an infant bottle or lamb bottle try those. Yes, infant, as in human baby. I had an early calf I feed with one. Every 2 hours the first couple of days. Then she was strong enough to move on up to the calf bottle.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Now in this last one she looks like she is just resting. At 35-40 lbs I would not expect her to eat more than a quart at a time, possibly not more than a pint at first-- just more frequently.
And, if she is full, she won't suck.
Has she pooped?

Keep her warm. She doesn't have much body mass to keep herself warm and that will interfere with her eating too.
Tiny babies can be much more delicate.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I used to get a big cardboard box and fill with straw to bring the tiny ones into the house and I'd sleep on the sofa next to them. The rule was if they stayed in the box, they were too weak to go out. When they wanted out of the box, it was time for the shed!

steffpeck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She has pooped and peed. I know she has peed a few times.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
If she has pooped and peed a few times, she is getting enough nourishment. You may just have a preemie that you get to spoil and take close care of:)

steffpeck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I just set up our playpen and put a tarp in it and pine shavings in the bottom of it for her. We are going to have the vet tube feed her tonight and then we will have her in the warm house tonight and tomorrow we will work on feeding her from a bottle. We debated on having her tubed tonight, but we fear if we cannot get her to eat during the night that it will 24 hours with no food before we can get the vet again. Everyone wish us luck. She just has to be ok!! I would be devastated if she doesn't make it. :(

steffpeck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Do you think that she would be that early, if our others are discharging and looking like they are ready to go in the next couple of days? Would they all be early?

steffpeck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The vet came and helped us tube feed her. He also gave her an injection of antibiotics. He said that he thinks she will be just fine. Just a slow starter. We have her in the house tonight in the playpen. Hopefully, she will be much better tomorrow. We have one unhappy momma though. She is outside just bellowing away.

THANK YOU, everyone for your help!! I really appreciate it!