Calf Born last night ~ NOT eating.... **More pic's #37**

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
steffpeck said:
Do you think that she would be that early, if our others are discharging and looking like they are ready to go in the next couple of days? Would they all be early?
If that is the date the bull went out with them then she is early. But, if the previous owner finds an earlier date then you could be fine.

I've got a heifer in the barn that isn't due until the 6th. I've been waiting for a calf for the past 2 weeks as she has been fully bagged and ready to go. The cow that freshened before her I waited for a week from when I thought she would go. It's hard to tell.

How did she do through the night?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
steffpeck said:
She has pooped and peed. I know she has peed a few times.
Where she drank the colustrum and the vet has tubed her, that could account for it too. But, it is a good sign and something to watch as it will give you an idea of what is going on.

dfunnyfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
How is little Nutmeg doing today? She is sure pretty.

steffpeck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She had a good night. She was nice and warm and cozy in her playpen in our familyroom. LOL. DH was just sticking his finger in her mouth and she did start sucking a little. We are making her a bottle of colostrum right now to see if we can get her to drink from a bottle. We are going tomorrow to pick up our milking machine so hopefully we will be able to milk Meg's mom and feed her the milk in the bottle.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
hope she keeps getting better.it will take time to get her up an going.

steffpeck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She did drink a little bit from the bottle, but got uninterested really fast, so we ended up tubing her. DH has to be at work all day today, and we were worried if I would be able to get her to bottle feed enough. She is getting stronger. She fought us today when we tubed her. A very Good sign!! Here are a couple of more pic's of her in her playpen.

DSCN0563.jpg

DSCN0565.jpg

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Her fighting you is a very good sign! Just so you know, the colustrum mix isn't going to do anything more for her than milk replacer would at this point. Their stomachs stop accepting the antibodies by now. It won't hurt if you can get to milking mom shortly but, otherwise get milk replacer.

She does look better in those pics too.

Did you ever hear back on when the bull was put out to pasture?

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Another "if it was me"
Since the change from moms milk to milk replacer is hard on a healthy calf, I would keep milking the cow and only feed moms milk.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thewife said:
Another "if it was me"
Since the change from moms milk to milk replacer is hard on a healthy calf, I would keep milking the cow and only feed moms milk.
Good point.