Calf can't stand up

Barbara Guth

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Good for calling the vet. I hope that this is all "fixable" I seldom use Pen for anything on my goats other than rumen related problems and delivery complications. Good thing it is cheap as I throw it out long before I use it all.

Barbara Guth

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My nephew said thats what his vet told him. Now, with that said, I don't know if they actually had the vet look at him or they called or how all that went down. They did give him some nuflor. Two shots that I know of. And he was walking (not sure if I mentioned this) but after they moved him to the barn he went down. Someone else suggested maybe an inner ear infection?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Someone else suggested maybe an inner ear infection?
Yes, in all mammals, 'something' has to tell the brain which way the head is tilted, which way is up, and what 'level' is, otherwise imbalance, dizziness, and vertigo happen, making it very hard to walk in a straight line, keep from falling, and getting one foot in front of another. That 'something' is fluid in the inner ear. It creates a sort of true heading--an artificial horizon to enable good mobility no matter what the immediate physical surroundings are.
Altho the following pertains specifically to humans, animal imbalance works the same way. You can read about it here:
https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/balance-disorders#3

Pressure within the brain (often caused by tumors either benign or cancerous) can also cause severe vertigo.
And it doesn't have to be an infection. A birth defect or injury can cause it too.

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there as a 'let's go back to when things were working right' type thing........
If you can pick the calf up easily enough, take it outside the barn, where it can get a bigger view of the world and see if it's walking/standing ability improves.

Are you sure the calf isn't partially blind?

Barbara Guth

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
How can I tell if he's partially blind? He doesnt blink a lot but he does respond when I go out to the shed and check on him. But I don't know if he sees me or just hear me. I've never seen or know anyone with a calf with seeing issues. As far as taking him out, I bring him out daily for fresh air and exercise but I have to hold him for him to stay balanced. His hind end will lean or he'll stretch his neck to far out and fall forward.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
:frow Hi Barbara. :welcome

I have goats, not cows. So, I'm sorry to say I don't have a clue what's happening with your little calf. Bravo to you, for taking him on, though. :thumbsup :clap Although, I just have to say, depending on your past experience with that Vet, I would be tempted to find another Vet after he went AWOL, when you had already made it known that you desperately needed help with a sick calf!!! :duc :smack :he

I see you are located in NE TX, so I just have to ask . . . in what part, do you live??? (without giving away your exact location). There are several of us who live in NE TX. :clap Occasionally we all get together, to shoot the breeze, and share a meal. :celebrate

Last edited:

Barbara Guth

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
:frow Hi Barbara. :welcome

I have goats, not cows. So, I'm sorry to say I don't have a clue what's happening with your little calf. Bravo to you, for taking him on, though. :thumbsup :clap Although, I just have to say, depending on your past experience with that Vet, I would be tempted to find another Vet after he went AWOL, when you had already made it known that you desperately needed help with a sick calf!!! :duc :smack :he

I see you are located in NE TX, so I just have to ask . . . in what part, do you live??? (without giving away your exact location). There are several of us who live in NE TX. :clap Occasionally we all get together, to shoot the breeze, and share a meal. :celebrate
I'm 2.5 hours from Dallas.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Unless you are on opposite sides of Dallas :lol:

I hope you get help for the calf. It seems you are trying to do all you can. Have you used this vet before? (Maybe you don't have other livestock, I don't know)

Vets I have used consistently have NEVER left me in a bind -- I've even had them call in another vet if they happened to be out of town!! Of course, many years with them helped. This is why, if you have livestock, you always want to develop an association with a good vet.

Barbara Guth

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have used him. We only have two (close by) that handle large breed animals and he's the better of the two. I spoke to my Dil (she was the one going in with her dog that day) and it turns out there was a miscommunication of some sort. So I'm wondering if he even knew she was coming in because him just not showing up makes no sense to me at all. I have not had an issue with him since I found him and I'm actually glad I found him because the other vet (in my opinion) isn't with his salt where calves are concerned. I do have other livestock but thank God they're all healthy and we haven't had to have him see them yet but he takes care of all my dogs and when the next shots are due for the girls (cows) he'll be the one tending them. I'll get it all figured out. Me and Tip (calf) are doing in first thing in the AM to have a thorough look to find out what's going on. I just can't wrap my head around how he goes from walking and eating fine to not being able to stand at all. I'll let everyone know what he says. I hope it's good news and he's fixable.

Latest posts