Calf doing terrible

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Newborn calf born maybe around ten this morning. It was raining so maybe he’s just too chilled we have him in house with heaters and blow dryer and rubbing him lots. We’re tubing him now as he won’t suck plz help I don’t know how much longer he has. Anything we can do to help him respond

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Put a blanket on him and in a barn with mom? Have a barn?
Thanks for your reply. We had him in the house with the floor heat, heater and blow dryer while rubbing him, and we tried tube feeding him. But he passed away within half an hour. I think we did all we could’ve for him, since he wasn’t really responsive at all.
thanks

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And if people try and tell me that I could’ve done more, I’m leaving, I did all I could.
Im devastated by his death, and not just because it’s money lost. Because he was a life that should’ve lived much longer.
Rest In Peace little guy.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you did what you could. If they can get up and some nice warm milk in him, likely a different outcome. Sometimes calves are a little lethargic anyway, but being born in a cool rain didn’t help. My calf this week was a little lethargic, but he had a really nice day, he didn’t have weather to deal with too. Sorry you lost him.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Understand that some just aren't going to make it. You do what you can.... getting them warm and dry is the biggest thing. Then some colostrum down them. But sometimes trying to tube too soon is not good. They need to be moving and trying to get up a little before attempting to tube.... the WARM and DRY is the best if they are that chilled.
In the future you can try an old trick we used to use with lambs.... immerse partway into a tub of very warm water.... We would put lambs in a sink of hot water, holding the head up... to try to get the body warmed up as quick as possible.... some we saved, some we did not.
The only other thing is to pen them in a barn/pen where they are protected from the weather when they are close to calving. Some farms can do that, most of us cannot.
You do the best you can.

And understand that some are born to die and NOTHING you do will change that.